SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawn1972_

Hot Pepper Exchange???? Anyone!

Does anyone know if there will be a hot pepper exchange this year?

Tonya Dawn 1972

Comments (46)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

There is usually more than one each fall/winter. I think the big one last year has already committed to doing it again. I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye out in a month or so.

• the_northeast_chileman
    8 years ago

What did you contribute to last years swap?

What are you donating this year?

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I stumbed upon gardenweb last year too late to contribute to the swap.

• the_northeast_chileman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

And this year? Whatcha got?

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Im trying to grow the reaper this year and last year i tried peter pepper.

• the_northeast_chileman
    8 years ago

tonyadawn posted:

Does anyone know if there will be a hot pepper exchange this year?

An exchange involves contributing and receiving, what have you contributed?

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have never contributed to a pepper exchange as I said I stumbled upon this site too late last year and am trying to get info as if anyone will be hosting a exchange/swap. I have plenty to contribute.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

I am not sure if I will participate or not this year. I don't really need any more seeds than I have already. But it is a great deal for people that are looking to add to their inventory.

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Im looking to add to my inventory.

• ronnyb123
    8 years ago

I think it is still too early to tell. The guy who ran it before went to C2C forum. I believe there will be one there if there is not here. It was talked about at one time. I am not sure anyone here also wants to volunteer since last years seed count was over 5000. Not really a thankless job, since we all appreciated the hard work that went into it, but it was very time consuming. And no, I am not volunteering. Sorry.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

There will be at least one. Don't sweat it.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Check out this thread from last year. It had to be continued 4 or 5 times because of the 150 post limit back then.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2131920/2014-holiday-seed-swap?n=150

• tomjones5087
    8 years ago

I am a new member but I will have reapers, scorpions, tepin, tobasco, pretty purple, Thai hot ornamental, Chocolate Habeneros, red Habenero!

All I want is black Pearl ornamental. I can't even find a good place to buy online. If anyone has some of that seed I will trade direct.

• ronnyb123
    8 years ago

Tom,

Im sure someone has seeds and willing to trade. If not...

https://www.buckeyepepper.com/black-pearl?search=black%20pearl

• Annie
    8 years ago

Hi Tom, I have 9 BPP plants, all of which have pods. I don't know how to save the seeds, but I'm sure I can figure it out! I started all of mine from seeds... Out of 20 seeds, I got 18 plants & gave 1/2 of them away. I would be willing to trade seeds once my pods are mature. I wouldn't mind growing some choc Habs & scorpions next season. I have Reapers already, lol

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

All you have to do to save seeds is wait until a pepper is fully ripe, then cut it open, pull out the seeds and placenta (white stuff inside) and lay it on a plate to dry. Wait about a week, then you can easily rub the seeds off the placenta. Let them dry by themselves another week and then store them in a dry place at room temperature or cooler. You may have to adjust the drying times a bit, but I find a week each time works out good. That is it. Once they are dried, they are ready for planting either right away or next year or 4 years down the road. They will lose viability as they age, but I have heard of people successfully germinating seeds over 10 years old. It all has to do with keeping them cool and dry while in storage.

• Annie
    8 years ago

Thank you esox07 :)

The BP turns red when fully ripe, correct? I have several deep purple-black ones right now.

I will definitely have plenty of BPP seeds to spare!!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Yep, they should turn red when ripe:

• tomjones5087
    8 years ago

Annie I will trade any seeds I have harvested when mine turn fully ripe for some Black Pearl seeds.

• stevie
    8 years ago

i have a heirloom authentic Tabasco plant that started to turn colors. so i'll have plenty of seeds. very prolific plant and this pic was from after i've already picked a few dozen pods off it. it can grow very big or grows nice and compact in containers, this one is in a 10 gal.. not too shabby for my first "hot" chili plant :D

made some tabasco hot sauce from a recipe i found. best hot cause i ever had.

http://i.imgur.com/eQcRtbr.jpg

• tomjones5087
    8 years ago

I did one Dutch bucket style. All perlite it just keeps putting out peppers. Love this plant.

• Annie
    8 years ago

tomjones5087... Sure thing! I haven't figured out how to send private messages yet, but now I'm just waiting for my BP pods to ripen. Got some really pretty fruit on my biggest one 2! If I knew how to ship a live plant, I'd send u one of my smaller ones

• tomjones5087
    8 years ago

Annie I haven't figured out the PM thing either. Maybe someone on thread will tell us. I click on profile but see no options except Facebook, Google+

• ronnyb123
    8 years ago

You need to follow the person then you should be able to send them PM.

• John A
    8 years ago

Northeast Chiliman - Why are you so hung up on having everyone make a contribution? You should be encouraging folks to get involved even if they have no contribution.

Tonya - Send me an email and I'll get you started.

John A

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    8 years ago

You don't have to follow anyone to PM them or have them PM you. You just have to have your settings to where you can allow anyone to PM you.

A link on the Seed Exchange Forum: Traders -> Now ANYONE can message you!

Once you change your settings a clickable "Message" button will appear on your profile to other people (you can't see the button on your own profile).

Rodney

• tomjones5087
    8 years ago

Thank you forgottenone it worked perfectly.

• the_northeast_chileman
    8 years ago

Northeast Chiliman - Why are you so hung up on having everyone make a contribution? You should be encouraging folks to get involved even if they have no contribution.

Huuuummm, I was chatting with tonyadawn. I wouldn't call that everyone?

• Annie
    8 years ago

Ok... So how do u open PMs?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    8 years ago

Just go to your profile and click on the messages tab to see your PM's. Or type www.houzz.com/messages into your browser.

Rodney

• Annie
    8 years ago

Thank you theforgottenone1013.... I've got this messaging thing down now!

• kchd
    8 years ago

I'm reviving this thread to see if I have missed a post re: an announcement for a pepper seed swap this winter. I joined as a newbie last year, thanks to encouragement from ScorpionJohn and DMF. I'd like to repay the kindness by donating seeds if a swap is going to happen. Does anyone know the scoop?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

I havent noticed any announcements for seed swaps yet this year. I am sure there will be some soon though. The actual sending out of seeds from swaps usually happen in December/January. But they usually get organized around this time to allow for seeds to be sent in, organized and sent back out.

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

I have chocolate scorpions, bhuts, habs, hinkle hatz, and various other hot pepper seeds to swap if anyone is interested. I have been busy with some issues at home and I'm late with getting seeds out to several people, sorry. They will be out in the mail this week.

• kentishman
    8 years ago

One of the things that impresses me about the chilihead community is the friendly spirit and willingness to share with complete strangers. Well, by and large it's that way. We all have to get started somewhere. I was dependent on the generosity of others for the first couple of years. And then I was pleased to pay it forward. So Tonya, if there's anything you need, just post it here and I'll help if I can.

• John A
    8 years ago

Thank you Kentishman.

Tonyadawn - send me an email and I can get you a start.

John A

• pmjonesjr45
    8 years ago

I am looking for Aji Amarillo, Aji Panco and Guajillio seeds. If you have some please tell me what you are after. Chances are pretty good I have them.

PEPPERS VEGETABLES FLOWERS

• soilent_green
    8 years ago

I am seeking pepper-for-pepper seed trades. If interested please see my thread in the Seed Exchange using the following link:

Seeking Pepper Trades

If you make hot sauces out of your homegrown peppers as I do then you need homegrown garlic. :-)

Another trade option I am now offering is top quality, organically and sustainably produced German Brown
    rocambole hardneck garlic bulbils (NOT bulbs) in trade for your pepper
    seeds. These bulbils are nice size (1/4 inch avg. diameter) peak quality stock remaining from my
    fall planting which I completed on November 05. German
    Brown is a hardy, cold climate variety, my favorite garlic (excellent
    roasted). This is generally the proper time to be planting garlic in
    most areas, especially zones 5 -6. Getting late for zones 3 and 4 but
    can be planted as long as the soil can be worked. If stored properly
    they might keep until spring planting time, but no guarantees.

Planting bulbils is a cheap, easy to ship, minimal-risk method for
    acquiring and growing out a bunch of garlic. Downside is they take a
    couple years to size up to market-grade bulbs. Anyone who has priced gourmet-type seed
    garlic bulbs knows how expensive that stuff is to acquire, and most
    suppliers will not even guarantee that their stock is disease-free.
    Bulbils are produced above ground, and as such do not carry soil-borne
    pathogens harmful to garlic or other alliums that could unintentionally be introduced into your soil. They are a safer way to introduce garlic into your gardening repertoire.

Please post any responses or replies on my pepper trade thread or PM me - I do not want to clog up this thread.

-Tom

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

John A- here is MY email: dawnybrewer@gmail. I can't seem to find yours, I think my brain is not functioning well; I have been up for almost 36 hours and no nap. Lol

• lexxluthor
    8 years ago

My first year I never had any seeds to donate but was able to join the swap with an envelope and $4.00 to cover shipping. I received my first seeds from my fellow GW members and was able to pay it forward thanks to their generosity. There were many members who donated 200 plus bags to help many newbies get their start.

• sdambr
    8 years ago

I also joined the swap last year and have plenty to give back. Most are not the super hot ones as I found I am a pepper wimp (sigh).

Steve if you have that recipe for Tobasco I would love it. My plant produced so many, I am ready to pick but need a good recipe.

• Daniel
    8 years ago

It doesn't look like anyone is organizing the pepper swap this year which is to bad as it seems to have been a great success in past years.

I would be willing to do so if there is enough interest. I personally do not have much to donate in terms of seeds so I will be mostly donating my time to do this.

Let me know if you are interested and we can get this thing started.

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Im in

• John A
    8 years ago

I have several to contribute, but only want 1 or 2 back.

John A

• Daniel
    8 years ago

I will start a new thread on this to make it clearer.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville