SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmbelle

Repost with pictures: Any idea what's killing my herbs?

Erin Powell
8 years ago

Hi forum friends,

I have 3 plants suffering from something that I can't identify. The first that was infested was a large oregano plant that seems to be almost completely dead at this point. The next 2 plants are 2 thyme plants that are almost touching the same oregano plant. All of them begin turning brown and losing their leaves and one thing I've noticed recently is webbing on the plants (leading me to think it's a possible spidermite infestation). Here are some pictures of the damage currently - hopefully you can see it ok. I can post another picture later of the oregano (or what remains of it):

The thyme

The oregano

More oregano, please ignore the weeds

You can see the webbing that I've noticed... this is why spidermite is theory 1 at this point.

This is what I know:

• All were big vibrant plants that had almost doubled in size in the spring/early summer
  • Both get FULL sun (at first I thought it was maybe too much sun because I noticed that the 3rd thyme plant I have has been largely untouched and it is shaded by some large purple basil - never heard of thyme getting too much sun, though)
  • They have been watered sparingly (only now and then during a dry spell)
  • (this may have nothing to do with anything, but) I've noticed a ton of tiny moths on the dying plants. When I ruffle them, they fly up everywhere.

Anybody have any idea what I'm looking at and how to fix it???

Comments (9)