SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apg4

Limoncello

apg4
8 years ago

If you have ever been to the Amalfi coast of Italy, you know that every mom and pop tratatoria with a lemon tree out back has their own version of limoncello. Traditionally made with grappa, that high-alcohol Italian firewater, it is the very essence of summer in a glass, especially if served ice cold. I've been experimenting for a few years and here's what I've learned.

Limoncello is made with, well lemons, but just about any citrus with a flavorable skin can be used, as it is the peel or zest that is used, not the pulp or juice. You want just the colored part, no white (and bitter) pith. You'll also need grain alcohol, 190 proof: 80 proof vodka won't work well, as you are trying to extract the volatile oils from the peels. Cover the peels with an inch or two of alcohol; mix every so often to hasten the extraction. (A gallon-sized pickle jar works well.) Though color extraction starts right quick, give it a month...or a year. In the end, the peels will be like wood chips out of a planer.

Limoncello tastes best at about 30% alcohol - that's 60 proof - but you are starting with something that's close to 95% alcohol. Dilute with simple syrup, a 1:1 ratio of sugar and water. By volume or by weight are close enough here - this isn't rocket science - but I'll leave the computations to you.

I've had a miniature orange tree, a calamondin, for 45 years. Though my grandaughter loves 'em, they are a bit too sour for me - but the peels make a fantastic arancello. It's got commercial potential, it's that good. The pulp - and a few peels - get used for marmalade.

So far, I've also made fragolacello - strawberry - with this method. Also, mirtillocello (blueberries) and moracello (blackberries). Lower proof vodka could probably be used with these other-than-citrus fruits that wouldn't need the higher alcohol content to extract the flavors. At 30% alcohol, it won't freeze, so keep it cold.

Cheers

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County