SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arabella_stachura

I can't tell if my succulents are actually thriving, or just surviving

Arabella Stachura
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am new to growing plants. I got my succulents at Home Depot about 3 months ago - the first picture is right after I repotted them. The containers have a drainage hole at the bottom and I am using "cactus and desert plant" soil. They looked much better in the first picture, but they are still growing...I just can't figure out what the issues are. From left to right, the plants came with the names Burrito, Harry Butterfield, and Pork and Beans. I usually water about once a week and they get decent sunlight in their windowsill. I check the soil with my finger - if it feels dry when I put my finger in to the first joint, I water. Otherwise, I leave it. The Burrito leaves (on the middle stem) have generally just shriveled up and fallen off. The other stems on that plant seem generally okay, but the lower leaves have fallen off and occasionally individual leaves shrivel and die as well. I think Harry Butterfield is doing pretty well, I am not sure if I should put it in a bigger pot? It's definitely been growing like crazy. Am I supposed to be trimming it or anything? And the Pork and Beans plant (hard to see, blocked by Harry Butterfield) is nowhere near as clustered or meaty as it was when I got it. I haven't really noticed a lot of leaves falling off, but maybe that's just my memory serving me poorly.

Please let me know what you think needs to change for these plants to make them happy! I really want them to do well and I'm hoping it's not too late. Also, I would love some soil recommendations!

P.S. If it is necessary information, I am growing them indoors but I live in North TX.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH