SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

LOOKING for more GOTM Members- OPEN spots!

Debra Andruska
8 years ago

I thought about this a lot... And am willing to try a year LONG 12/mo. ~Gardener of the Month~ Swap! We did a 6 month with success! Yes, a few glitches- but they worked out. The Ladies were fantastic- and the swap pretty much ran itself! So- I'm going to give the ORIGINAL group a chance to rejoin FIRST. AND- then if all of them stay, (WITH NO PRESSURE) so think about it Original Members! Then, I will need 6 more people. If the Other Original Members don't stay, then I'll be able to add more. Let's just see what happens. I wanted to post a Public post, so no one feels obligated to have to stay. Of course- you have YOUR secured place here, so just let me know if your want to do another swap/YEAR! I was going to originally do another 6 months, but we would'nt be able to let anyone else in, if we continued to just do 6 months, and Everyone stayed. So, this way we can expand- and get to know and make more Gardening Friends. :) I had a lot of fun with this! The only thing I ask- is I want October. Why? It's Fall, it's my favorite time of year, and I just live for the colors, breezes, and decorations! So, getting a Fall box would mean so much to me- vs. a Spring box, Christmas box. I'm a FALL person! So, EVERY month - except OCTOBER is available. Let me- first- ask the Original members, to see what Month's they want.. Basically, we will do it as a sign up/you get the month you ask for- if it's not taken already. I get October... And after the Original members let me know- if they want to stay or not/what month. I'll open this up to Members that have been here for at least 6 months, with at least 6 successful swaps. I have to protect Everyone- so please don't be upset with me, if your NEW- we all are NEW at one time! I just need established traders for this swap. I can't take a chance! So, I'll be asking questions- and looking back to see what Swaps you've been in. And if there were problems.... So, let's go from here- and see what happens. Hopefully, we get a lot of interest. If not- that's ok too.. The GOTM swap is special! Basically- what you send is a box FULL of Garden items. Seeds, bulbs, tools, garden bags, plants- garden themed notepads, Dishtowels/garden themed. Yummy smelling candles (for extras), really ANY garden themed item, windchimes, birdhouses- bird related items, it's endless! Just make the box as special as you can! Each month, I post a new month thread- it goes up a few days before the new month- and YOU can post on it too, with ITEMS your looking for. Say, your decorating your indoor screened in patio room. Ask for- solar light to go around the room, lights- (shaped like stars), candles for your red/white/blue theme- WHITE seeds for your moongarden! A new garden bag, because yours has seen better days! And what we do- is try to send you a box- with stuff you ask for/want/and stuff we purchased OR shared with you from our yards/PLANTS- Seeds, purchased bulbs! Just giving you a small idea of what to expect. We don't send food items (baked). If you include a bag of chocolates- let the person usually mention they love to munch on chocolate.. We do have diabetics/pre-diabetics in the group that don't need the temptation of a yummy bag of chocolate laying around! I know, I have to watch my sugar (so I've been prediabetic for several years) I would PREFER a chocolate candle! Or a bakery candle in a vanilla cake! :) So- basically--- any item that will make the box special! Sometimes, some of us love houseplants- we will say so.. and then feel free to share a piece of your favorite plant (or send a cactus or two, or three, LOL) and some hate houseplants. So- Each Swapper is different, just read their month, and you'll know what to get! I'm the houseplant/cactus/FALL ANYTHING person! :) This is longer than I want it to be- I was just trying to explain how it works. And you basically always have a month to send out your package. The box can go out any time during that month. BUT has to be sent out and received before the end of that Person's month!

Deb

Comments (67)

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What does Everyone think of a 6 MONTH want list? Let me know- do you think it's a good idea. I know I compiled lists like this before. BUT- by the time the month came up, the list WAS OLD! So- let me know- should I ask for a list NOW? AND send it out/as a group email? I would need everyone's email addresses. I think a houzz pm might not be big enough? Please let me know what to do. We did NOT do this with the GOTM last time. We just compiled a list- before the thread went up. That way it was current.. Let me know your thoughts. If you think a 6 mo. 'want' list is good, the I'll do it. Share some thoughts...

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

I probably don't need to share my thoughts, since I'm the one who asked for it. But... I think if people give you general lists now, and then maybe add a couple very specific things when their thread is posted, that people might end up getting more things they want. Everyone will have a longer span of time to keep their eyes out for each others wants.

• Related Discussions

Two spots open in birthday block groups. Need someone to fill in

Q

Comments (29)
    Thank you all. Just to answer a few questions. No I didn't get an email from anyone in Australia. Ask her to send it again if she can. No he won't be up and around in a few days. His brothers pushed a full size mattress over on him and snapped his right femur. He had surgery on Sunday afternoon. They inserted flexible rods. He has a knee imobilizer brace that goes from his ankle to his groin. He will have to wear that for at least 3 weeks. He can't have any pressure of any kind on the foot. He is in a wheel chair to help him move around. He has a walker for when he gets a little more mobile. The doctor said he would have to stay pretty much immobile for about 2 months. She also said it would take at least 2 months to heal where he could walk on it again. He will have to have another surgery in about 6 months to remove the rods if the leg has healed correctly. And he may have to have another surgery in a few years if his leg grows longer than the other. They will have to correct that. He is 4 and at a very difficult age to have this type of injury. To old for a spika cast but barely old enough for the rods. He still has some growth spurts coming and this can cause the broken leg to grow longer because it was set with rods. When they set it and cast it they actually set it shorter to accomidate the growth spurts. But because they didn't cast it they didn't do that. So we will have to wait and see. Thank you everyone for the well wishes. It always makes me feel better to know all of you care so much. Amy
    ...See More

GOTM October - Erica

Q

Comments (35)
    Faye -- I received your fantastic box today! Faye sent 4 plants (Golden Seal, Elephant Ears, Calla Lily, Cactus Bulbs), a grow bag, plant labels, potpouri, chocolate, thermometer, dishtowel and mit, green garden tape, and 4 packs of seeds (gotta love something named "Drunk Butterfly")! I'm super excited about that Golden Seal. That's something I've wanted for awhile now. I do have one question. What are Cactus Bulbs? I looked online and found cactus dahlia, but that was about it. I know you mentioned a small white flower. Any other info, or even a picture, would be great! Thank you for such a wonderful box. :)
    ...See More

GOTM/swap/starting in APRIL...

Q

Comments (9)
    I'll leave the swap OPEN to new members, plus our OLD members until the morning. Kind of a 'who' joins in first. I tried to give the original members some time to join, before I opened it up...... SO IT'S NOW OPEN TO anyone that has done several swaps. Then- if we don't get any more to join in. I'll just let this go for April and re-start it in May with a new post. I know it's a busy time.. but this is the time we can SHARE bulbs, divide iris, etc. We couldn't do this in the bitter cold weather. So, now's the time to send plant stuff- gardening stuff. Quality- things, that your GOTM person will enjoy! Hugs! Deb
    ...See More

Third Annual Not From the Seed Rack Seed Swap open for members

Q

Comments (7)
    Over 1200 different seed types have been added to the swap catalog and there are still 5-6 weeks for more additions. Also, there is still room in the swap for up to 43 more players. Anyone who needs to join garden.org to sign up for the swap or just to look around can do so here: http://garden.org/users/join/poisondartfrog/
    ...See More
  • cghpnd
    8 years ago

I like that idea. I dont like waiting until the last minute to get things as i see some cool stuff all the time :)

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

I also like the idea, especially in regards to seeds and plants wish lists. With a little extra time, I could get cuttings rooted, seeds gathered, rhisomes and bulbs split, etc . ...

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Remember, that this swap is going to start beginning---October- and end in March. So- it's kind of hard to be sending LIVE plants in some areas. Seeds, bulbs, tubers- probably would be ok. But in Chicago- the temps go down so quickly. We have had snow lots of time in November, and everything turns to a white Winterland! Blizzards, and all! ;) How about if we do make it simple.. and post here- all of our wants. Each of us take 5 minutes and make a quick post. I do agree- that would help when I go shopping to kind of KNOW what to look for. What's just so hard is when you go 6 months in advance- and say ALL live plants please- I'm redoing a flowerbed (and you have January) and my temps are -negative below zero. I wouldn't be able to send you anything LIVE from Chicago. LOL! So- please... Feel free- each make a thread post/and tell us what you would LOVE to get. "WISH" Lists.... And I'll copy them- when it's time, and put them on your GOTM thread page. You can add too, whatever you want to the thread page. Just in case things change- and you no longer want a certain item.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Seeds for me- Cactus, basil, oregano, chives, garlic bulbets (love to cook with fresh herbs) I grow them in pots in the kitchen window. Catnip! For my two bad cats! They have been really bad lately- getting into everything (the garbage) I take out the garbage several times a day, and waste so many bags- because they can't be trusted! As soon as I'm not looking, down goes the trash can!

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Debby -- Fantastic idea, posting here and editing if and when we want!

And I thought my cats were naughty. You have me beat by a mile.

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Debbie, you're the only one in freezing cold zone 4! The rest of us are 7 and higher! I grew up gardening in zone 3A so understand the long, long winter wonderland.ha. the rest of us have a lot more leeway!

• Monarch Love
    8 years ago

Deb what are some detailed favorite things of yours. :)

• mcc371
    8 years ago

My month will be in December so here is my general likes/dislikes:

My favorite month December because of Christmas I decorate my whole house/yard each year.

My favorite season is spring because of new beginnings and everything starts to grow and bloom.

My garden Themes: (on my 26 acre self made woman jungle..lol!)

Gemstone Garden (seeds,rocks,)
    Veggie Garden (seeds)
    Patiotic Garden (seeds)
    Dutch garden (bulbs)
    Texas garden (seeds,bulbs, rocks)
    Ladybug & Frog Garden (rocks and décor)

Things I like lots of seeds: any type but rare and the unusual as I like challenges to see what will grow!
    Gloves, Garden Flags, Calendars, Planners, Seed packs, Labels, Ladybug decor, frogs, decorative pots, solar lights, garden statues, painted rocks, petified wood, hanging planters, wind chimes, Cookbooks from different towns, Texas theme Decor bathroom, Western theme decor living room, and ladybug decor in kitchen, stuff for my hummingbirds (like different feeders), Sterling Silver Jewelry, I like to crochet in the winter. I enjoy canning during the summer. I make lots of Lipton sun tea as it is so hot during the summer here! I enjoy my cricut for scrap booking my Gbabies. I have a Blue and Gold Macaw parrot named Harley who thinks he is the center of attention until my 2 Gbabies come to visit. Just a easy to please country girl! Lol!

Really though I like just about anything so don't make it hard on yourself. Oh, and I live in zone 7. Hope this is helpful.

Everyone have a beautiful day!

Tammy

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

I'll go ahead and get my likes/wants posted, as well. I keep my trade list updated, so feel free to look there for any specifics.

My month is March.

Here are my garden themes:

1. Your most bizarre - Anything that
    really stands out due to unique characteristics.
    2. Your most
    tasty - Any edible you grow season after season, because it's just
    that good.
    3. Unusual Solanacea.
    4. I'll take mine rare -
    Anything you would consider rare/hard to come by.
    5. Respect your
    elders - Your favorite heirloom.
    6. There's a pharmacy in my
    garden - Rare medicinal herbs.
    7. Gothic Garden - Black, or nearly
    black, flowers, edibles and herbs.

8. Bulbs, Corms, Tubers, etc

Outside of seeds/plants, here are a few
    others things I'm interested in:

1. Root Pouches or Grow Bags
    2. Stacking Pots
    3. Gourmet Chocolate
    4. Homemade Goodies: Jams, Jellies,
      Salsas, Dried Pepper Flakes/Powder, Baked Treats, etc.
    5. Chia Tea
    6. Books on herbalism or foraging
      (I'm northern CA/west coast)
    7. Your very favorite recipe – the
      one that you could not live without

My favorite colors are black, purple,
    and blue. I also like pastel colors. I have two very spoiled cats and
    a wonderful husband. I garden (duh), write, cook, and can. I grow a lot of edibles and herbs, with a few ornamentals scattered here and there. My
    favorite seed stores are Baker Creek and Sacred Succulents (love this
    place – he carries many extremely rare plants/seeds, many of which are medicinal).

• nottougly
    8 years ago

I think this is a great idea. I will post mine in a day or two.

Thanks everyone,

Faye!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Glad to see this did work out! I did BIO'S previously, and they were so outdated. Only because they were questions- I asked, or someone else asked. You get to LIST stuff yourself- and that's what will make your box unique. :) SO when we do find/have those special things your looking for, it's really going to make your box special! :) This is what I was after with the last group. I tried so hard for them to list- wants. And I would copy it over to their specific page/month. And I encouraged them to ADD stuff..update to make it more specific/on the wants. Update- if things changed..

• cghpnd
    8 years ago

Love yalls wishlists!

My month is January.. <3

Ill do a quick List.

I LOVE football... Especially the Baltimore Ravens. ((i was born and raised in Baltimore city.. On the same exact streets the riots were happening :( )) The Baltimore Orioles have my heart too .. hehe :) ANYTHING Ravens and Orioles related is welcomed!

With the colder season approaching, football is the ONLY thing i look forward too!

My favorite colors are Purple and Black and Orange (any flower seeds with These colors I would LOVE) ........I raise Butterflies indoors. I Raise Monarchs EVERY YEAR... I have hermit crabs (i rescue them) that my loving pitbull/boxer puppy LOVES TO DEATH. (she is afraid of butterflies though!) Her name is RAVEN!

I really want a few PawPaw trees/seedlings that are already established(or with really strong root systems) for the butterflies. I have failed miserably at younger seedlings and seeds.I love hummingbirds too! Any cool feeders that are wasp proof ...((No hummingbird food though red nectar is VERY dangerous to the hummers))

I collect Named Brugmansias. I like to read books about them. I especially want the Huanduj brugmansia book by Alistair Hay...

Carnivorous Plants, Medicinal Plants/seeds.... Garden flags, I like to dehydrate and make fruit roll ups, I like older style Christmas Ornaments .. (anything 80s and prior)They remind me of my childhood. :) Picture frames, Bath and Body Works 'Magnolia Blossom' line.. (( my favorite stuff)) Legos, 3D Puzzles, Black eye liner (as close to natural ingredients as possible)

I think thats it for now :)

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Things changed.. So much small stuff added up, that I've decided I can't take on hosting this or participate. Sorry... Coordinating a round robin isn't hard, but does take a lot of time (and emails) and for this one 6 months. ;) Tobasco my French bulldog (5) came down with a mast cell tumor. We had it surgically cut off, $1,400 later.. The biopsy was questionable, no cancer was found in the biopsied portion. They wanted several hundred more to do more tests. Well, within weeks it came back. He has 2 new growths and a third just popped up overnight. This is such a weird unpredictable tumor. The Dr. said he took so much area from around the lump, and with the lump being 'clear from cells/cancer' that it would not return in the surgery spot. 2 did..and one on his leg! Anyway- for now.. I'm going to take a break from swapping. I can't be buying a bunch of stuff while poor Tobasco needs treatment. He also has a grade 3 heart murmur since a puppy. :( . Please feel free to go ahead without me... Everything is basically set up! You just need a new October person! This was going to be so much fun! I'm sorry I can't participate! Tobasco comes first! And he's going to need $$... Please say a Prayer for this little feisty frenchie!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Deb - So sorry to hear about your baby. Wishing you both the best.

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Also sorry to hear that.

Im more then willing to take over hosting. I would greatly appreciate it , though, if I could switch my November month with Jan or Feb..

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Lorabell -- If you're going to take over hosting, will you switch me from March to Oct? My birthday is Oct 17, so I'd love to have Oct as my month. It shouldn't interfere with anything since Oct was Deb's month.

• Monarch Love
    8 years ago

Oh my goodness Deb! I wish I could dislike the bad news! So sorry to hear about your dog! I know how important they are. I couldn't imagine the pain you (and the doggy) are feeling :( I sure hope things turn around for the better.. Will certainly pray for yall <3

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Sounds good. I would love to take your March. All we need is a November GOTM player!

Everyone OK with this? I really want to play.

New line up:

Oct: Erica

Nov: Open ..

Dec: Tammy

Jan: Crystal

Feb: Faye

Mar: Laura

My Email: Patrioticcrafts@aol.com or message me

How about if everyone confirms they are still in?

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

I'm still in

• mcc371
    8 years ago

I'm still in, Thanks for stepping in to host this group.

• Monarch Love
    8 years ago

I am still in....

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Thanks all for confirming! We have our 5, still on the lookout for a November participant. If need be we'll rename this the Fabulous 5 GOTM! Erica is first up, and has her "wishes" posted already so we can start gathering her bounty. I'll formally start her new post this weekend.

SOOO, anyone out there want to join in? Great opportunity! Please message me, or throw me an email at Patrioticcrafts@aol.com!

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Welcome to the Swap Giveaway:

Below are 6 items from my VIP box. Each participant gets one. Post here which you would like...I have only one of each. Send me your name and address via message or email. And I'll send out ASAP!

Post when you receive!

1-Empress of India - Peach Melba -seeds

2-Tropaeolum minus - Sangria - seeds

3-Salvia sclarea - seeds

4-Rose of Heaven 'cherry blossom' - seeds

5-Agrostemma githago - rose color - seeds

6-named garlic for warm weather - bulbs

Have a great day!

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

I'd love the named garlic for warm weather!

• mcc371
    8 years ago

I'll choose Rose of Heaven 'cherry blossom' - seeds. Thank you for offering these to us.

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Great! It's my way of confirming the addresses before the swap begins.

Erica..the garlic, do you enjoy hot or mild types of garlic?

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

lorabell -- I'd be happy with either. Thank you so much for sharing.

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Chrystal, I'm not sure you have received my messages. Please, if you could, send me a message or email so we have confirmed communication. Greatly appreciate it!

Erica, garlic in mail.

Tammy, throw me your address and I'll have your seeds out tomorrow as well.

Miss Faye, any of those seeds tempting you? I have more choices if you would like! Ha. I went overboard this summer and sent over 200 varieties of flowers I didn't have through customs from Europe.. To say that was something is a serious understatement.

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

I love that you brought back seeds from overseas! How very cool to be able to get seeds from other countries, many of which I'm sure are unavailable here.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Laura,

I sent you an email.. I might as well post here what I decided. :) Thanks for hosting the swap, I want November, since October's taken. Tobasco's first tumor was during the last swap, I was able to handle it swapping/plus coordinating the swap. And I do a lot of African violet swapping on facebook. So, I know I can still do what I've always done.. I was just overwhelmed that day. And just imagined all the hours emailing- and at that second decided to take a break. Well, my break's over. LOL.... I was looking so forward to this swap, I still want to be in it (just not host it this time.) ENJOY it more, it's as much fun to see what's in the boxes! Tobasco started a holistic treatment that hopefully will work, 4 pills a day to destroy the mast cell. 2 antihistamines (since the lump is histamine) and 2 antacids (because it contains so much acid) so hopefully, this will work for him. Surgery didn't. And with his heart murmur.. holistic is the way to go for now, we are looking for a cure/not just surgery (and the tumors coming back.)

So, I'm back in! GOTM is too much fun to drop out of! Let's get this going and have fun!!!!!

Deb

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Deb -- Welcome back! It's great to hear that you found a holistic treatment for your dog. I hope it works and that he's good as new before you know it!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Erica... But, waiting to hear from Laura. It's possible someone else already joined in and took November. I can't imagine ANYONE passing up this fun swap! :)

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Welcome back Debby. You have November. If you would like to choose one of the welcome packs of seeds listed in above post, then message /email me your address, I will get them out to you.

• Monarch Love
    8 years ago

Lorabell I have not received any messages from you through email.. I check here every couple of days though. I hardly ever receive notifications from houzz.. I

seen one today at 8am.. Just one, but I can see here I should have received more notifications.. Boooo...

• mcc371
    8 years ago

It is doing me the same way... Not sure what is happening. Some I get an some I don't.

Glad you decided to rejoin Deb! I already had most of your box packed and just need a few more things to fill it up, LOL! I am ahead one month but behind one month...Got to get busy on Erica since she took October.

Erica anything special you want for your birthday??

• Monarch Love
    8 years ago

Welcome back Deb and I am rooting for your baby!

I hope this holistic treatment works!

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Not getting proper message notification updates? Try this:

Your Houzz > Edit Profile > Advanced Settings > under all the drop-down boxes you'll see "someone messages me" -- it's the last one. Change the drop-down box to "Every time." (I have all my boxes set to "every time")

Tammy -- I think my list above is pretty up to date. I'll make a couple revisions and repost, since I can no longer edit the one above. Thanks for asking. :)

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Here are my garden themes: (October)

1. Your most bizarre - Anything that
    really stands out due to unique characteristics.
    2. Your most
    tasty - Any edible you grow season after season, because it's just
    that good.
    3. Unusual Solanacea.
    4. I'll take mine rare -
    Anything you would consider rare/hard to come by.
    5. Respect your
    elders - Your favorite heirloom.
    6. There's a pharmacy in my
    garden - Rare medicinal herbs.
    7. Gothic Garden - Black, or nearly
    black, flowers, edibles and herbs.

8. Bulbs, Corms, Tubers, etc

Outside of seeds/plants, here are a few
    others things I'm interested in:

1. Root Pouches or Grow Bags
    2. Stacking Pots
    3. Gourmet Chocolate
    4. Homemade Goodies: Jams, Jellies,
      Salsas, Dried Pepper Flakes/Powder, Baked Treats, etc.
    5. Books on herbalism or foraging
      (I'm northern CA/west coast)
    6. Your very favorite recipe – the
      one that you could not live without

I love, love, love seeds and plants, particularly anything that's
    unusual, rare, or medicinal. If it happens to be edible, that's even
    better. My favorite colors are black, purple,
    and blue. I also like pastel colors. I have two very spoiled cats and
    a wonderful husband. I garden (duh), write, cook, and can. I grow a lot
    of edibles and herbs, with a few ornamentals scattered here and there.
    My
    favorite seed stores are Baker Creek and Sacred Succulents (love this
    place – he carries many extremely rare plants/seeds, many of which are
    medicinal).

• Monarch Love
    8 years ago

Thanks Erica. I dont know what the issue is.. I have My settings set to Notify me every time... Maybe its just my dumb email...

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Chrystal, I'm sorry the messages haven't been received. Any chance you could just email me at Patrioticcrafts@aol.com? I will be needing to send out Erica's address to everyone this weekend via message or email, and don't have a way to get it out to you. Thanks so much!

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Laura -- Your package arrived today. Thank you so, so, so very much for the garlic! I am super excited. I can't wait to get this planted.

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Glad you like. Ive planted close to 1000 cloves, 15 varieties already this year. Starting to run out of room-so you helped me out by choosing them! . I do love eating, especially super foods

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Laura,

If you have any more Garlic, that would be my choice. :) I cook constantly and use it almost every day! Lots of Italian recipes! I'll even throw garlic in meatballs, meatloaf- burgers!

• Monarch Love
    8 years ago

Garlic is the best ever! It turns any ordinary dish, dressing or even broths into something amazing!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree! :)

• lorabell_gw
    8 years ago

Debby, I do have some that should work in zone 4. I can get them out on Wednesday.

I love me my garlic, for sure. So do my kids.(Both of my grown daughters live within 5 minutes of me....with 7 of my Gchildren) My garden acts like a local farmers market for those girls!