SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

Chili Thrips and the understanding of Pesticides

sharon2079
8 years ago

As I am trying to learn how to use pesticides, but I am very confused in trying to read the labels.

I live in South Florida and had thought for while that I might actually have them, after seeing some pictures of plants on line I am so say unfortunately I do have them. I have been recommended Conserve but that is like $150 for a quart... Really high price for me. But will do it if I can't find anything better.

According to this article

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenPubsAZ/ChilliThrips.pdf

There are several products that I might be able to use to fix the problem.

The Imidacloprid that they recommend is both Merit and Discuss. Merit is a Bayer product so I was looking at some of there other products and the active ingredient Imidaclopridis listed on several products including:

Bayer Advanced Fruit, Citrus and Vegetable Insect Control Imidacloprid

12 Month Tree and Shrub Landscape Formula II

Fruit Citrus and Vegetable Insect Control

As well as the 3 in product.

While I know some on the forum are against the 3 in one product, I am more interested in understanding the label as I am trying to learn. What makes the Imidacloprid in Merit better for killing Chilli Thrips than Imidaclopridin any of the other products. Is Imidaclopridnot not Imidacloprid? I am confused.

And while Conserve contains spinosad why can't I use Monterey Insect Control.

Without getting into the debate of using pesticides is there away to learn about them and understand how to read a label and why one might choose one over the other. I know I have chilli thrips and I want the to use the cheapest but effective pesticide that I can get. If I buy one and it doesn't work then it was waste of money and I have to purchase another one.

Looking for help.in understanding.

Thank you

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz