SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pupillacharites

Sungold F1 - Can't ship it! (False)

PupillaCharites
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Three days ago I bought some organic Sungold F1 tomatoes in Whole Foods Market.

$3.99 per pound,

traditional farmers' market type green thin plastic pint baskets (like these),

all the tomatoes had their color, slightly pale if I try to differentiate,

solid/creamy pattern rather than longitudinal "striations" of my mature fresh picked,

the skin was a little bit thicker than I'm used to but not bad,

none were splitting,

a couple of signs invited customers to try the Sungolds.

You bet I tried them :-) The baskets were overflowing crowned with Sungolds like ice cream cones aesthetically overflowing/falling into the boxes that contained the few rows of baskets; and the calyxes were dried but otherwise the tomato had stood up quite well.

I walked away with $4.23 worth (how much fit in an overflowing basket) even though I have my own plant which is finishing up. So many tomatoes. Not quite the home-grown feel, but really the difference wasn't huge. They were extremely Sungold good.

The kicker, they came to Florida all the way from California from an outfit I can't recall but was promoted with the first names of the man/woman team who marketed or supplied these to Whole Foods Market. (If I see it again I'll edit the post to add the company and names).

Amazing! I'd never seen Sungolds before at national grocery stores being shipped around. I suspect they are being picked at blush. Anyone else seen this in regional/national grocers? Amazing the loose packing the stems on more than 50% of them didn't cause any trouble.

Cheers! (Munch Munch Munch smile)

PC

Comments (7)