SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asko_buyer

Washer/Dryer Buying Decision-A Frustrating Experience

asko_buyer
8 years ago

I need to replace the family 10.5-year-old Asko washer-and-dryer set. I will not go with Asko this time around. My wife wants an easy-to-use, reliable washer with SHORT wash times. Compact, Euro-style washers are out of contention. I want a reliable machine that can be serviced/repaired reliably when the need arises.

I was seriously looking at Speed Queen top loaders-either the one with dials (432) or electronic keypad (82). (In Canada, where I live, they are sold under the Huebsch brand name.) The recent posts by mamapinky0 concerning rust, scratches, and greasy compounds in the washer drum are giving me second thoughts on that idea. Also, I have tried to contact customer support three times regarding what companies in my area will perform warranty repairs, and have been unable to get a response. Not good!

I was ready to give Maytag or Whirlpool a try. (FWIW, Whirlpool customer support did contact me with the same info I sought from SQ within a couple of days. Nice!) But then I found out that the pump trap (which I had to clear out every few months or so in my Asko) is not accessible by owners in current models. (This is also true of Fridigaire and Electrolux machines.) A service technician has to come in and do the clearing. What the heck were the engineers and designers thinking? Goofy!

Although I have serious misgivings about this, I am now looking seriously at LG and Samsung front loaders with features that reduce wash times. At least their models still have pump traps that can be accessed by the owners. But they don’t exactly have a stellar reputation for reliability and serviceability. (Mind you few brands do, and my favourite local repair company at this time does list LG and Samsung as brands they do warranty repair work for.)

I'm really not sure I want to get a traditional top loader from a brand other than Speed Queen. And HE top loaders will be too finicky for my somewhat-impatient wife to properly load.

Pardon my rantings, but I found it much easier to make a decision on this type of purchase 10.5 years ago. I’ll be making my decision soon. Wish me luck.

Comments (30)

• janiceme
    8 years ago

I have been very happy with my Fisher Paykel Washsmart I purchased about six months ago. It has an agitator and you can select water level. There is a true hot wash if you use the allergy cycle. I like the delicate cycle, it is gentle and I don't feel the need to put my dainties in a mesh bag. Cycles average under one hour except for the allergy cycle. There is also a quick cycle and a soak option. It is quiet and very sturdy. I did not have to scrub polish compound off the tub before first use, and the machine is nicely finished. I know F&P gets mixed reviews and is a bit hard to find--I purchased from an independent dealer who also carries Speed Queen. He liked F&P better.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I realize my rust issue may put someone off SQ however this is an extremely rare issue...and there's a lifetime warranty on the tub...if you actually look at the reviews on SQ most of them are great, and after my search I found no washer is without some negitave reviews. I doubt there Is a perfect machine, they all have issues of one sort or another, common issues unlike my rare issue. SQ also has a great warrenty, and is reported to give upwards of 20+ years of great service. I don't know any other that has this kind of reputation except maybe a Miele. Just trying to impress on you that my few tub issues are rare, and if given a choice I'd still buy Speed Queen all over again. I have no regrets, my issue will be resolved with a top notch Speed Queen tech. These machines really are built like tanks and unlike most of the fancier machines on the market don't have as much that can go wrong with them and are much easier to fix. I highly recommend the Speed Queen.

• Related Discussions

Which Washer/Dryer should I buy?

Q

Comments (4)
    I just purchased the front loading KENMORE ELITE HE5t series washer & dryer. I had the original KENMORE ELITE and a Maytag Neptune. I LOVED the upper dryer of my Maytag. It was huge but had the top "dryer" that worked perfectly for sweaters and delicates. After several repairs the bottom regular dryer was starting to cost too much to repair so I gave in and splurged on a new one. It took a lot of searching and I ended up with Kenmore's from Sears. The pedestal units work great with this new batch...they don't vibrate. There are a lot more choices for laundry, as well. The washer and dryer drums are huge. I am still in heaven with the fact that my dryer is keeping pace with my washing machine...the clothes are drying so nicely. I still miss my Maytag UPPER dryer...but am learning to hang clothing again.
    ...See More

Maytag Maxima steam washer/dryer or Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer

Q

Comments (3)
    We are choosing a new washer/dryer set and would like to buy something in the mid-range. I had a Miele set in our previous home for the last 15 years, which I absolutely loved, but think that for half the price I might be able to get something that works well enough. There seems to have been a lot of changes in the mid-range since I last made a purchase. I'm considering either the new Maytag Maxima steam set or a Whirlpool Duet steam set. I want to have something that will do a good job on delicates (something that Miele does extremely well) and will also sanitize my micro fibre cleaning cloths. Any comments or suggestions?
    ...See More

Samsung washer and dryer - my horrible experience

Q

Comments (18)
    I also find it odd that the replacement washer had the same issue. It makes me feel like _I'm_ not using the washer correctly. But, this isn't my first front loader, and with a household of 3 adults, we don't do that much laundry. I know the shipping bolts were not removed until delivery. However, they did place the washer and dryer on their backs outside my home to screw in the pedestals before bringing the units into my house and up the stairs. I don't think they removed the shipping bolts until the washer was in my house on the second floor. The one to two week turnaround time to get a service appointment has been standard during this washer/dryer saga. I'm not sure if the Sears services all appliance brands they sell, or just Kenmore, but in either case they are 'backogged' enough that this much time is needed to get an appointment.
    ...See More

First time buying Washer and Dryer - advice?

Q

Comments (1)
    Measure your space! Not just the space that the w/d will take up, but all of the doorways between the street and that location (tricky staircases require special consideration) If you are going for a stacked unit be sure to measure vertical space. Figure out exactly what kind of electric you have 210-220-240 and 20-30-40 amp...vented or not vented and where is the vent, right side, left side or back side....then shop. If you find you have particular space constraints you may just want to get something inexpensive off Craigslist---provided you can transport it; otherwise go to a big box store with a good return policy as they will usually deliver and install for free-provided you have all the new hoses and cables required (big box computers normally tell you at check out...)
    ...See More
  • suburbanmd
    8 years ago

After ten years with an Asko, I wonder whether you'll be satisfied with the cleaning performance of a fast-cycle front loader or a top loader. I'm preparing a second washing machine setup for an Asko W8844XLW, which at 2.83 cubic feet is bigger than a typical Euro compact. But I'm in the Washington DC area where more than one company services Asko, and I don't mind long cycles (have a Miele W4840 and always use the Extended option). Sounds like you could also use two washing machines, one for you and one for your wife.

• poppy214
    8 years ago

LG does all right most of the time, but still has issues in the frontloader with heavy loads. Be aware that the speed wash has spray rinses, not a true deep water rinse. That said I have an LG and have been satisfied with it. Look carefully at that Samsung, notice the plastic, lots of useless bells and duplicate whistles? Lots to go wrong. Service is difficult in many areas. Some places, like mine, it is nonexistent. Service is right up at the top of the "must haves." Good luck in your search.

• shady_lady_pa
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

For what it's worth, I had a basic front-load Frigidaire for 9 years, and never once had a problem with the pump trap. Of course, I had the old bellows/gasket that they had to re-design because of mold. Maybe more things get past the newer gaskets? (I have heard that it is an issue, but it never affected me.)

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Speed queen top load does have a fast wash time..however its gotton everything, kids and gardening clothes clean and fresh smelling and gives a crystal clear rinse...and you have the option of shutting the washer off for soaking.

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

Mamapinky0, I got the idea that you take extra steps, like prolonged soaking and manual addition of very hot water, to get the results you want from your SQ TL. I recall you've said yourself that the fast wash time alone won't do it.

• practigal
    8 years ago

It is ok to not go with sq did you look at the electrolux?

• asko_buyer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! I hadn’t expected so many responses so quickly. Thank you all for responding. I would like to make a few replies.

@janiceme:

I am happy to read about your positive experiences with your F&P washer. Unfortunately, I know two people who have had but trouble with their F&P appliances, including a washer. F&P is, alas, off of my list.

@suburbanmd & @mamapinky0:

In the past few years (when my washer broke down) I have used Speed Queen/Huebsch coin-operated washers that are very similar to their “home” top loaders, so I do have some experience with what they are like. They work quite well for that type of machine, although I am convinced my Asko FL washer does a better overall job. That said, the SQ washer IMO does a better job than my parents’ old Inglis TL washer does, as well as other TL washers I have used when out of town.

Yes, it would be nice to have “His” and “Hers” washers, but that is not practical in this case. It makes more sense to me to purchase a washer/dryer set that she will like and then adjust my washing procedures to get the most out of them. I don't mind pausing mid-cycle, or using two cycles to simulate a profile wash. That said, I don’t mind long cycles either, and it’s something one has to get used to with HE appliances. (The Maytag "Power Wash" takes 2.5 hours to complete, much like the Asko "Heavy" cycle does.) But that doesn’t prevent The Missus from disliking long cycles. She says she likes the old-style machines with shorter cycles, and that she has never liked the Asko washer.

@shady_lady_pa:

It is good to read you have had no issues with the pump trap in your Frigidaire. The use of a bellows, rather than Asko’s unique door seal (no bellows) might account for some of my experience. But I did note when watching a video review from a user of a recent Maytag Maxima FL washer that he mentioned having a “service guy” come in to clean the pump trap, at that was after only one year into ownership. I would like to get a machine where the need to call in a service person is as far into the future is possible.

It would be nice to be able to replace just the dryer, but I need an Asko dryer to plug the Asko washer into. (Both are 220V appliances.)

Anyways, once again, thanks for your input. I appreciate a variety of views. They tend to help me make a satisfying final decision.

• asko_buyer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@practigal:

No, I have not looked at Electrolux. I am unsure who in my area does warranty repairs on Electrolux washers. Also, there is no way for an owner access to the pump trap (as per Maytag, Whirlpool, and Frigidaire). My own experience with an FL washer informs me this is not a good thing.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Asko whichever you decide on I wish you good luck, .

Also I don't have an electrolux, but I've heard a lot of good about them. My sons actually getting one in a few months, I can't wait to try it out. Lol.

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

asko_buyer, I'm curious what you cleaned out of the pump trap on your Asko. I've had my Miele for 7 years, and looked at the trap once, when I thought it sounded a little funny while draining. Found some unidentified gunk in there. We don't have any children at home, and are careful about checking pockets. Sometimes papers do make it into the machine and create a bit of a mess. Maybe that's what the gunk was.

Someone else recently brought up the issue of Asko washer without Asko dryer. If your washer has the same plug as the current Asko washers, it's a 6-20P plug which can also plug into a 6-20R wall receptacle. You'd have to add another circuit for it, though.

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

Have you considered a Huebsch front loader?

• asko_buyer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@suburbanmd:

I have mostly cleaned out coins, but also a few regular elastic bands and elastic hair bands. While I am careful to check for coins and other items in pockets I cannot say everyone who has used the washer does the same. Also, I sometimes miss an item or two.

Dimes on that Asko are a real problem. On two occasions dimes got through the trap and passed the impeller, jamming the outlet from the pump. My father in law found a way to remove the pump from the drain tube, but it was a bit of nuisance to get at since it required lifting the front of the washer and removing the bottom plate under the door. The Maytags, Whirlpools, etc. would require removal of the top and left side panel in order to access the drain pump for just regular cleaning.

I don't think my Asko washer has the same type of plug that fits into a standard 220V outlet. But I won't be able to add a second 220V outlet. I don't own the unit that I and my family live in. But thanks for the suggestion.

• asko_buyer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@whirlpool_trainee:

Huebsch FL machines are out of my price range. The TLs are more in line with what I would be willing to spend.

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

Agreed - the front loaders are expensive!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Should cleaning the drain pump be something I need to do with my speed queen?

• asko_buyer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

mamapinky0: front doors to access the pump trap have been a feature I've only seen on front loaders. Top loaders like yours do not have the same need for it. The access to pump trap is needed more for front loaders because there is a narrow space between the front of the inner drum and the outer drum that very thin objects and debris can fall into during the cycle. That is one reason why it is especially important, when using a front loader, to remove all coins and other items from pockets. The space for these objects to get past the inner drum of a top loader is at the top of the drum on a top loader. You will notice that an overhang under the lid of your machine covers that space. It is not something you and other top loader owners need to worry about.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Asko-buyer, good, and thank you for the detailed explanation. I appreciate it.

• asko_buyer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So, I went to a couple of stores yesterday afternoon. The first one is a small, independent family-owned furniture/appliance business. The owner suggested mid-range GE and Samsung front loaders if I wanted a front loader. I noticed these machines all had the user-accessible pump traps. But the store also regularly carries Huebsch/Speed Queen top loaders (432 model). One problem - they sell out as soon as the store receives a shipment. If I want one it looks like I will need to put my name on a list. In general, I felt comfortable with the owner's knowledge of his merchandise and his presentation.

I went to a second store from a regional chain of appliance stores. This was actually my second visit to the store. What amazed me is how the two sales reps contradicted each other. The first rep pushed Samsung and LG front loaders, citing their superior quality and lower price (compared to Whirlpool, Maytag, etc.). This second rep pushed North American-brand front loaders like Whirlpool and Maytag because they are much easier to get serviced than overseas brands (like Samsung, LG, etc.). All sales reps in that store dress up in nice suits, and are quite pleasant. But I walked away feeling that they are more appliance sellers than appliance experts.

I don't know if others feel this way, but I get a better feeling dealing with reps from smaller independent companies than big box outlets.

My wife has indicated we won't be purchasing a washer-and-dryer set right away. She wants some money set aside first. I'll post again when we do make the purchase. In the meantime I will continue to wash my clothes in the Asko washer and dry them in the coin-operated Huebsch/Speed Queen dryers in my housing complex's laundry room.

Once again, thank you for all of your input.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Asko, last week ( wow its only been a week) when I bought my 432 model speed queen the dealer just hsppened to have one due to a cancellation, he said he can't keep them in stock.

Have you read the reviews on the Samsungs? I've never owned one but seems I've read bad reviews here or over on AW.......actually my speed queen dealer told me sears contacted him about serviceing them, he told them no, but he told me different areas around the US can't get service on Samsung or LG anywhere close.

Its good you don't have to rush into anything, so you can take the time to choose what's right for you.

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

I have an Asko set upstairs and an LG set downstairs. The Asko has no gasket to collect things and is very low maintenance. The LG is huge comparitively but is limited in what it can actually do. Very hot might hit 120 in ideal conditions. The comparative wash cycles are just as long as the Asko with poorer results. The LG set is used for sports pads, comforters and rugs. Anything I want disinfected or rinsed well gets washed in the Asko. A shorter cycle is a shorter cycle. Doesn't matter if its labeled quick wash or normal. Be sure that you are ready to give up the flexibility of a euro washer. FWIW Craigslist is a great source for used euro sized W&D. Most people think they are apartment sized or just have no idea what they are. I bought a Miele set for a friend for $300. You would have to look at the models plug but a Bosch dryer may work with the Asko as well.

• practigal
    8 years ago

Hmmm. The pump trap on my Electrolux is on the front behind a little door....you are correct though the number one thing you must have in your area is service.

• asko_buyer
    Original Author
    8 years ago

mamapinky0: good advice! Believe me, I will be taking my time with this purchase.

sandy1616: the problem I have with the small Euro-style washer/dryer sets is that my wife doesn't like them. I like them! If it was solely my choice, I would get another Asko set (providing good service/repair was available), or perhaps the low-end Miele pair. I really like the built-in heater. I am puzzled, however, about why some of these manufacturers only make a compact condenser dryer to go with their compact washers, and not a compact vented dryer. I would prefer to have a vented dryer.

practigal: take a look at the photos of the latest Electroluxes. I don't believe you will see one of those little doors you have on yours, with one exception - their compact Euro-style FL washer.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

@asko_buyer - Euro size machines are seen as suitable for apartments and homes with small laundry spaces here in the US. I believe Bosch is #1 in that regard. We had a pair in a closet f.ex. with no ability to vent the dryer. The larger machines are marketed for home/family use re capacity and dryer venting. Also energy consumption is said to be a factor but I don't recall what it was all about. There was a discussion about it some time back -- someone might have the link. I can't remember the context exactly but I believe the Europeans first went to the condenser system as it's greener.

• pomlady
    8 years ago

Hi I live in Canada too and debating the issue on what to buy. I want a front end loader, that I know. Going into my City Furniture yesterday the sales woman said that they sell more Samsung and LG's then Whirlpool or Frigidaire brands 2 to 1. They have the best prices in my area from all the boxs stores. More of a family run business. I have read good and bad reviews online on all of them; talked to a few people, one person's aunt has a Samsung with steam and just loves it, uses steam for her curtains; two on a forum I belong to have Samsungs with steam and love them, one uses the steam, one has never used the steam feature. On the same forum one had a LG and loves hers, another has a Kenmore Ultra think it is called and loves hers; so back to square one for me. I am kind of picking the one I like the features of and that is the Samsung. Now I am debating steam or no steam? For an extra $300. will I use the steam or not? I use bleach in my whites right now and with steam can I forget the bleach? So in the same boat as you.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I'd go with Steam for sure.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I have a question. .if its without steam..than its only tap hot right??

• poppy214
    8 years ago

Depends on your hot water setting as compared to the on board temperature sensor. I think others have described the temperature fluctuations as the machine brings the water in,cools it down and then heats it up again. If tap hot is high like mine, machine adds cold water. Yes I can turn the cold water off to get complete hot or throw in some really hot tap water. It was easier back in the olden days....