SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
detroitnatenew

Garage perimeter grading

detroitnatenew
8 years ago

Hi,

I have a 2 car garage built in 1955. The garage foundation is level with the grade on all sides, however on one side (against the fence), the previous owner had added dirt so there is a negative grade pitch toward the garage. Overtime, water seeped into the garage under the wall bottom plate (which is now rotted). I will be siding the garage, adding gutters and replacing the bottom sill plate on that side.

To avoid having this water intrusion again, I'm looking for some suggestions. Just to get an idea how much soil needs to be removed to get a good positive grade toward the fence, I removed some dirt. Here is what that looks like (hard to tell, I know):

I would like to know 2 things:

1) If I continue down the path of removing soil to regrade this area, what is the most efficient way to cut the roots and remove all of the soil. I did this by hand and it was a total pain in the rear.

2) Do I have another option besides removing all of this soil? Will adding gutters and maybe a foundation french drain towards the rear of the garage be enough to leave the grading as is?

Thank you!

Comment (1)