SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ksblase

refinishing natural cherry cabinets

Karenseb
8 years ago

I also posted in woodworking, but thought I'd ask here in case anyone with natural cherry cabinets have had them refinished (keeping them natural cherry) ):

I have natural cherry kitchen cabinets in a home that we recently bought. (about 15 years old)

They've been mistreated and need help. It looks as if someone tried to fix them (passes the first glance test), but I notice the wear and tear and one area is down to bare wood (around the trash can cabinet)

I have looked into having them refinished and found a reputable company that seems to be using a quality product ( M. L. Cambell Magnalac). They did a test run on an extra door and I like it, but it seems more brown and has lost some of the red tones. I might not care but the family room has the same cabinets and opens to the kitchen, and I was hoping for a closer match. Will they redden more with age? Perhaps the amber color was in the lacquer they removed. They are using a waterborne pre-catalyzed finish.

They are definitely not sanding to new wood and he said that if they do need to sand more in some places, they may stain to blend in the colors, which I find okay, but wonder what the future holds as they age.

Any solutions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH