SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Help me get the most out of storage in the Eaves?

We have a cape without any dormers on the front. So the front, under the roofline is all storage with the main hallway on the second floor running the length of it into the largest bedroom. We've used it for a lot of storage, but now we are planning a remodel and I've always thought the hallway was too narrow and would like to expand it into the eaves space. We are also planning on adding a closet into the eaves from the large bedroom that shares a wall with the eaves. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it.

Here is a very crude drawing of the current layout on the second floor….

Maybe you can see the long hallway I'm talking about along the stairs? It's only 32" wide.

And here is a photo of what I'd like to do somehow, just not sure where to put it...by pulling the wall back into the attic space. The narrow hallway is actually 18ft long and basically useless. I think my contractor is thinking it's a lot of work to pull back that whole wall, just to widen the hall and add some minor storage. So I thought maybe just a portion of it?

The other question I'm wondering about, is what about all that attic storage that we used before. We've had beds and photos and boxes in behind that wall. Two large mirrors, it held a lot. And if I pull the wall back and add a closet, then you won't be able to get behind there to store anything any more. And what if there is a repair needed that there is no access to? They'll be in effect two closets along that wall that restrict getting behind there.

So, I'm trying to decide, if it is worth the cost and the trade off of losing the larger attic space.

Comments (5)