SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Going Kitchen Functional and Aesthetic???

artemis_ma
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've been here before, and I put in the prep sink and modified some dimensions based on your input. There are some things I am not sure about -- changing the default 30 inch wide range to a 36 inch wide range without compromising the window - ideas for décor and placement? Things set in stone - the prep area is in front of the window; the main sink faces the dining room (and looks out a great eastern exposure past that room), the north/back counter area is for frequently-used kitchen gadgets that will remain on that counter. The prep sink will be 14 inches wide or less (this is not to scale on my drawing as I have seen both round and square ones that I like). There will be no need to put a stock pot in the prep sink, as the regular sink is maybe 2 steps more away.

Major appliances: black. Sinks: black (anthracite), silgranite. Feedback on this appreciated!

Most base cabinets - 30 inches deep. The narrow area going into the laundry to the left will be 24 inches deep. Most uppers - 15 inches deep. All cabinets will be pine wood. All metal/fixtures oil rubbed bronze. (Or black where I have to go that way.) The dotted "green" line at the upper left/west is for cookbook shelves.

The north area will hold the microwave, the rice maker, the George Foreman grill, the crock pot. It's a working kitchen - things often used won't be hidden away. That extension of a wall to the north will have a kitchen clock, and a series of spice racks (salt, pepper and garlic powder will be on the prep station).

Here's the plan:

I am looking for innovative ideas for lighting, faucets, and sink facilities. Overhead lighting as well -- I do want a fan there. Also thoughts for storage of a variety of items. I am going rustic.

PS: fridge will have the freezer below. One door, hinge to the right, above. 33-34 width max, no water dispenser.

The below shows you the basic wood tone of the house. It will be stained, but with a very light gradation of color. I picked this photo for both sun and shade aspects. This will be essentially the tone of the south wall.

Here's the counter tops -- From Consentino -- the lighter one is Eco Luna, and will appear on the north and the west countertops. The darker one is Silestone Olive green, and will appear on the south and the east countertops (range, sink...)

Floor in the kitchen (and laundry): wood look tile. The tile in the "dry" areas of the home are wide-plank pine, with a darkish stain tone. I love tile, so hence tile in the kitchen and such!

This will be set 90 degrees from the pine planking.

Paint colors: I couldn't get SW to give me colors to post, your mileage may differ -- SW 7011 (Natural Choice) on the west -- and this crosses over the cathedral ceiling into the great room. -- SW7737 (Meadow Trail, a type of sage) is against the north wall.

The north wall extends up 9 feet.

Outer walls remain log, as shown above.

Would love to find great non-SS fixtures and lighting!!!

Thoughts for backsplash behind range are also highly welcome. I am trying to avoid using hard-to-clean grout there.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz