SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinkgator

Automatic driveway gate - diy - HELP

pinkgator
8 years ago

We are buying a house that has a driveway along the side of the house, to the carport behind the house. We also have a dog who would bolt at the sight of a lizard or squirrel across the street ;-) SO, we need to contain him. But if we fence in front of the carport or behind the carport, we lose a solid portion of our yard. So, we have come to the conclusion that we need an automatic gate along side of the house. Budget is a factor, so this needs to be a DIY project. My husband has given me the task of design and figuring out exactly what we need. The driveway itself is about 10 ft wide (another 10 ft to the left is landscaped side yard (I will try and post a pic in a comment from my phone). I saw on Home Depot's website that they used to carry a 10 ft driveway gate, but it is discontinued. Most of the 12' driveway gates seem rather traditional, and pretty expensive. I did find a (cheap) fence I actually really like (the house is traditional, I would say my style is modern-traditional).

GATE

OPENER

Or, do I do the automatic opener with something like this GATE 2

Or, I could use this gate (I'd have to get a double opener) GATE 3

My concern is gate options... hinges and posts I would need.

Please please help :-)

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (8)