SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growinaz

Desert general potting soil mix

Brandon
8 years ago

Lately I've been reading a ton about potting soil mixes for general use (flowers, vegetables, & herbs - not for citrus, other trees, or cacti/native plants). A lot of the mixes that I've read about that are said to provide the best drainage, aeration, and nutrient content for general use (especially geared towards seasonal flower beds and nightshade vegetables, as well as some others) don't seem like they will provide enough water retention during our scorching summer heat. At the same time I have found that using most pre-package potting mixes result in severe compaction and an overall lack of that airy, fluffy mix that is best for container plants after a few months. However, many things I have tried mixing myself seem to lack the capacity to hold enough water during 105+ degree days.

I'm looking for some suggestions on creating an optimal general purpose potting mix for our climate that will provide plants with the environment and nutrients they need while holding enough water for the wicked summers but not too much for the winters for plants that can survive with freeze protection for at least a year or two.

Thsnk you in advance for any help or suggestions anyone has!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor