SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncfaz

Is my AC working right?

C F
8 years ago

We've lived in this house for over a year now and have never noticed any issues with heating or cooling. In other words, it has always been whatever temperature we tell it to be.

About a month ago, I noticed that our upstairs AC wasn't working at all. There is an entire unit dedicated to the upstairs. I called a company out, guy came and said condenser fan motor was out. He replaced it, said it was working now, and left. It look about 12 hours for the temperature to get down, but that night it did seem to get to whatever we set it at.

I then started noticing that in the heat of the day (like 90 degree weather), our upstairs AC would never go below 78 no matter what I set the thermostat to. Our downstairs AC (2 units for downstairs) has no problems maintaining as cold as we'd like.

I called the company back out, and the tech basically just inspected the condenser again. He said the system is working fine, and he has no explanation for why it won't cool below 78. He casually mentioned that maybe the ducts need to be rebalanced or we need more insulation, but he didn't offer to look into either of those things. To be fair, he said the attic was too hot for him to be in there, and I agreed with him. I have changed all air filters and the tech cleaned the condenser.

I'm glad that he wasn't saying the unit was broken or undersized, but I am really frustrated by not getting below 78 degrees in the daytime. Even if you try to say they are only designed to go 20 degrees below the temp outside (which I don't think is right, but what do I know), it's still not going 20 degrees down. The tech agreed with me that it's not like I am trying to make it 65 degrees and that 78 is not exactly comfortable.

I am reading such mixed things on the internet. Some people say this is just "the way things are when it's really hot" and others are saying a system should go to whatever temp you set it at, it just may run longer and be more expensive to run than you'd like. What is the right answer? And for what it's worth, I have a very nice, well-built home with no apparent issues with insulation. (We have no trouble getting it toasty warm in the winter)

Comments (8)