SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pupillacharites

Rutgers/NJ - Tomato Tasting event

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I ran across this link to Rutgers semi-suburban tomato tasting event
coming up on August 24, at the Snyder Research Farm when trying to Google up the accepted weight of Rutgers historically. In case one of the several NJ/PA/NY tri-state area members wants to
go and check it out and likely meet some of the present tomato
researchers too. It is a 45-min drive west (Toward Allentown) of New Brunswick. Here is a picture of the 2012 Tomato Tasting event:

Snyder Research Farm, Pittstown, NJ Tomato Tasting Event of heirlooms and hybrids (link)

Here are past variety lists and a lot of useful info including directions (link)

There was just a thread here by Nitsua on the "Rutgers" tomato discussing how many strains there are (link), and I also learned elsewhere that the Rutgers "retro" resurrection (link) hadn't fizzled out. Putting 2+2 together, this is a main tasting event for that tomato and I thought to post it here.

You will get a chance to try out 3 versions and have your vote counted for the upcoming release of "Retro-Rutgers" (not an official name), re-constituted (haha!, from Campbell's Soup) to honor the 1934 original with the same original parent lines of the OP from which thousand and thousands of plants were grown to make the original selection. These parent lines were recently received from Campbell's by the present tomato-folk at the University, who then, using modern analytical techniques, got a project going to resurrect a more flavorful somewhat firm version today. The seeds will be generally available for distribution in January.

Happy tasting

PC

Comments (9)