SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dustin_mills83

Money Tree for Dummies

8 years ago

So...I'm a newbie to plants and trees. I don't understand gardening vocabulary so I need to be spoken to like a child and pictures are great! :)

I just bought a money tree and I really like it!

I want it to grow larger. I've got the re-potting thing down (except how to know if the tree has outgrown its current pot), but I need to understand pruning techniques and braiding...

The tree now has 5 trunks braided, but the main braided trunks have been cut and there are many offshoots, producing the leafy top. Question is this: if the previously braided trunks are already cut, how am I supposed to keep braiding it without it looking funky!? If I shouldn't keep braiding it, then do I just keep it this size and trim all the top off-shoots or what?

Next, for pruning/trimming. How do I do that to keep it growing bigger and healthy?

Attached are some photos.

It looks like the main stems have already grown a bit un-braided. Can I braid these parts?

I've searched for photos of money trees online, but they all look either non-braided from the beginning or similar to what mine looks like now. What should this look like 5 years down the line?

I appreciate anyone's help! It's frustrating how much info there is on the money tree, but how little quality & detailed info I've been able to find and am hoping someone can help!

Comments (7)