SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Black Hungarian ripeness help please..

beesneeds
8 years ago

So of all my "special" pepper plants, the Black Hungarians are the ones cranking out like crazy.

But all that cranking out is now just sitting there... awaiting ripeness. Of the earliest of them, I'm getting some, um, scaling, ridges.. whatever it's called. Those hard little lines you get on hot peppers like jalapenos when they have been on the plant for a long time. And now of the earliest of them, some are getting a green blush instead of a red blush? I will swear that they used to be all black, but now getting some green going on- is this a pre-cursor to hitting the fully ripe red point?

I picked 3-4 of them a few days ago to toss in with some mixed pickled pepper rings- mostly for color- and they still had green flesh, and were as mild as a sweet pepper.. I was expecting mild, but more like jalapeno mild, not standard bell mild.

What I'm growing them for is to smoke them then dehydrate them for smoked paprika.. I have Alma's growing for fresh to dried paprika.

So anyone out there that has grown or grows Black Hungarian that can help me out to gauge when these are really ripe?

We have had some really nice hot days.. but more often, temps have been sitting around in the 70's with some night time temps dipping down into the mid 60's. Is this slowing down the ripening action?

Comments (3)

Sponsored