SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anoop91

high pitched noise from fridge--can you hear it?

anoop
8 years ago

There's a high pitched noise from the the Bosch fridge I recently got. I complained about the noise so they had someone come and take a look at it. The guy who came said he couldn't hear the high pitched sound. So I made a video of it. Can you hear it?

You have to pay close attention to hear it over the hum/ambient noise. It's driving me nuts.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61646136/fridge.mov

Comments (63)

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm 44. It's definitely there. The high pitched whine usually starts about 2-3 min after the compressor starts. The other tech (supposedly with better hearing) is supposed to be here tomorrow. I'll then figure out what my options are.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The second tech stopped by today. His assessment was that he could hear it but it's normal for this type of fridge because of the variable speed compressor. I asked if any other brands would do better, and he said this is the brand he tends to recommend.

Now I guess the choice is send it back or live with it. If I send it back, I have no idea what to get.

• Related Discussions

High-pitched buzzing/humming noise from above

Q

Comments (3)
    No idea, I'm afraid. Does the noise bother you? Do you want them to stop making it? If that's the case, then go upstairs while the noise is happening and ask them nicely to please stop making it. Or only do it earlier in the day, or whatever solution will work for you. "I don't know what you are doing, but that noise I mentioned last week? It's happening now. Could you please figure out what is causing it and stop it? Thank you." Bear in mind that in some apartment buildings, noise travels strangely. What seems to be directly overhead might actually be on one side, or upstairs and over one unit, something like that. But if you go up while the noise is happening, you will be able to hear if it is coming from that unit or not. Or you could just live with it. Once I had upstairs neighbors who apparently dropped a bowling ball on their living room floor every night about 10 pm. Big thud of something falling, followed by a rolling noise. I never did figure out what it was, but it wasn't annoying enough to bother with trying to get it stopped.
    ...See More

high pitched scrill

Q

Comments (14)
    Generally those universal power supplies scream for a reason. The obvious reason is when the power goes out. The other possibility (depending on the sophistication of the unit) when the power is out of preset parameters to warn you something is amiss. If it is indeed a APC (brand) power supply they have the ability to connect to your computer via a USB cable and a free software provided by APC. That software should give you the status of the unit. As an aside, when the power goes out APC's software calculates the remaining battery life. When the battery level reaches a certain point the software does an orderly shutdown of Windows, which can prevent a host of problems. It's a good feature to have enabled and well worth the cost of a USB cable.
    ...See More

New Refrigerator making high pitch noise

Q

Comments (5)
    Its the compressor. They make noise. Perhaps you're more sensative to it than some people. I worked in a showroom with a lot of very expensive refrigerators and was showing a guest around. We were near a couple Sub-Zeros and he said boy those are really loud. I said huh? I had never noticed anything.
    ...See More

New Viking fridge making a high-pitched whining noise..

Q

Comments (15)
    We bought our Viking Pro in 2006.... Its still running great.... we have had the " noise" for all of these years. Our household has gotten used to it. But, visitors( such as our wallpaper hanger) have been very bothered by it. Our wallpaper guy thought it sounded like a stuck car horn in the distance somewhere. It drove him batty.
    ...See More
  • Jakvis
    8 years ago

Years ago compressors used to turn at slower RPMs and were much quieter. The tradeoff was that the motors had to work very hard at low speed to overcome the resistance of the compressor and used much more electricity. In the average home the refrigerator accounted for 20\-30% of the electrical usage.

Today all energy used by major appliances is regulated by the government and mandated to be under certain limits. So compressors now run up to 3 times faster than the old compressors but use about a 1/8 to 1/4 of the amount of power than the old compressors, but the tradeoff is the faster speeds cause higher pitched noises that are harder to mask with sound deadening materials.

The tech you talked to is correct, the noise is normal and common to all freestanding refrigerators sold today. The acoustics of the kitchen will also play a roll in how a noise is heard.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

He did mention my kitchen would be hard to protect from noise because it's all tile floor and a "great room" type design with kitchen-living-dining all combined into one big open space. Will this noise get worse as the fridge ages, or is this going to be it?

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jakvis, Thanks for explanation and suggestion.

I'm starting to think maybe you work for Bosch! (Just kidding.)

• C&N
    8 years ago

If you take it back, any new fridge regardless of brand will likely have a similar compressor and thus noise.

I recently bought a Viking built-in, which was installed a couple of weeks ago. It too has a variable speed compressor and sounds very similar to the clips you posted. It is lounder than I am accustomed to and questioned whether it was normal and after some research have come to the conclusion that it is. That being said, the Kitchen Aid I purchased for my last house 4 years ago was not this loud, in fact it was pretty quiet, so perhaps this is a more recent shift in the industry?

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think regulation is changing the way everything works from appliances (washer/dryer/fridge) to cars. My 2015 car has more rattles and squeaks than my 2003 car had even at 150K+ miles. That's because of the pressure to reduce weight means less insulation. The engines are smaller to consume less fuel and it has a turbo charger which turbo whine every now and then. And then there's also issues like wind and road noise. Guess we just have to learn to live with these weirdnesses.

The fridge was also delivered with a couple of scratches on the side of the door, a loose handle (probably easily fixable) and a misaligned door that makes a noise when opening (probably also fixable). I'm leaning towards just keeping the fridge, getting the fixable issues fixed, and living with the rest.

I dislike shopping in general but shopping for big ticket items is crazy stressful for me. Seems like no amount of research can guarantee no ugly surprises. Had I known about this whine before, it wouldn't have bothered me as much because I'd have been prepared. But there's not a single review that mentioned this.

• Jakvis
    8 years ago

anoop, we do Bosch sales & warranty service along with a few other brands. Have been in the appliance business since the 70's so I've seen quite a few changes. I Like Bosch, own several Bosch appliances and highly recommend them to my customers.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jakvis, Interesting...I just thought you were a refrigerator aficionado. The sales rep very highly recommended this particular fridge. However, the rep was pretty down on Bosch clothes washers.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Snoop,

I can hear a change in the pitch, is that what you are referring to? In the recording the fridge does sound loud but I think my fridges are really quiet. I have liebherr said and Gaggenau freezer. Are you in a location where you can find an appliance showroom where many fridges are plugged in? I have several showrooms in the area I live in and they have multiple fridges plugged in. Since the theory is that fridges get quieter as they age, have you considered a used fridge? I have an all fridge unit and it is quieter than the fridge freezer Liebherr. This could be another option to purchase a separate all fridge and a separate freezer unit

Good luck in your hunt for a quiet fridge.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've had two repair people talk me out of getting a liebherr citing difficulty with getting parts and service. Besides the only model that would work for my kitchen would be the CS1200 (everything else is too tall) which would not fill the space well, being too narrow. There is also a maintenance issue with the drain hole. Even so, there's not a single dealer in my area that has the unit on display.

There are not many places that have these powered up, but I guess I could request that. I'm kind of exhausted now and not sure I want to go back shopping. It was hard enough the first time.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

There is no real maintenance issue with the Liebherr drain hole. If you get something stuck in it, you just clean it out with a qtip. It takes about a minute. Liebherr is based in the U.S. And Canada. Parts are very easy and quick to get. A broke a drawer in my freezer and they replaced it gratis in under 5days. I have had my Liebherr serviced once due to the recall on the door hinges. Liebherr scheduled and sent the repair people. I live in a metropolitan area so service may be more accessible here. If you are interested in products, I would call the manufacturer to determine if there was service in your area. The All Fridge units don't have a drain hole.

I can understand your frustration. Just make sure you are still within the return period for the fridge you purchased.

Good luck!

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think I'm in the return period till Saturday. Unfortunately I'm on the road for work till PM today, so I haven't had much time to even think about it. But returning stuff is a pain. I just don't like doing that.

The main thing that makes me uncomfortable about going Liebherr is that I will have to order the unit without seeing one. I have heard comments about the interior not being that great in terms of quality in the smaller units. Not sure if the CS1200 would be considered a smaller unit or not. That said, there do appear to be at least a couple of satisfied CS1200 owners...there just aren't that many reviews for this particular unit.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

The Liebherr interior is nicer than the interior of your Whirlpool in my humble opinion. I would return the fridge even if you decided to get the same thing again.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Which model of Liebherr are you referring to? I have seen some higher end Liebherrs in person and I agree 100% their interior is nicer. I have not seen the CS1200 in person, but I have heard general comments that the interiors of their lower end models are not that great. The Bosch has a somewhat upgraded interior (same layout, better materials) than the corresponding Whirlpool/KitchenAid models. I'm not unhappy with the interior. However, because of the noise, I am very tempted to attempt a return. I guess tomorrow will be decision day. I'll make a trip to the store and talk to the person I was dealing with and ask if they are OK with me returning it. If they are, I will probably take them on the offer. The unfortunate part is that they do not sell Liebherr; I would have to go elsewhere for that.

Early in my research, I found it nearly impossible to contact Liebherr. I have now recently made contact with someone in their office in Canada and so I have been able to get some of my questions answered. But I had one dealer (who sold Liebherr) try to talk me out of it; then one installer that was recommended by a different dealer; and finally the Bosch service guy that came to look at the noise. The dealers all seem to say "we'll sell you the Liebherr if that is what you want, but there are much better choices out there, including Bosch".

• User
    8 years ago

If you've got dog hearing, you need to look at the installation more than the actual model of appliance. Place it into an alcove with pink polystyrene insulation in the cavity between the filler and side panel, as well as about an inch of that under the cabinet above, concealed by another horizontal filler.

Or move to an actual built in.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

I have a ci1610. I also have a rb1400. The interiors are the same. I am not sure why you are getting such discouragement about the liebherrs. My experience differs but I realize that is just one persons experience.

Best of luck with your shopping.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't see the ci1610 anywhere. I see the rb1400 and the interior does look similar to the CS1200, although the price at ajmadison is more than 2x that of the CS1200.

@ Sophie Wheeler

Thanks for the suggestion...I think this may well be a case of dog hearing. I don't think moving to a built-in guarantees the problem is solved because I have seen complaints from folks that own built-ins about noise (although none from Liebherr owners...Liebherr owners tend to have other complaints, but then again, I have never come across a noise complaint about Bosch). I would like to avoid built-ins for now because of cost (both of the unit and the additional work that would be required to reconfigure the cabinets to accept a built-in) coupled with the lack of a guarantee that it would solve the problem.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Anoop,

i have the predecessor to this model:

Liebherr CS1611

The Rb1400 is all all fridge model therefore the difference in price.

Good luck!

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I went to the store today and they were totally fine with arranging for a return since I'm still within the 15 day period, so I went ahead and requested that. I have no idea what to do next. Perhaps I will explore the Liebherr. Yet another problem with Liebherr is very limited reviews on the various sites, most usually complaining about problems. GW is one of the few places where the majority of the (very few) comments about Liebherr are positive.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Looking at the CS1611, there does appear to be quite a bit of difference in quality compared to the CS1200 when I pay attention to some of the details like the hinges and the bars that are used for creating the compartments in the door.

http://www.liebherr.ca/HG/en-GB/products_ca-hg.wfw/id-1718920-0_39370-0

http://www.liebherr.ca/HG/en-GB/products_ca-hg.wfw/id-1718921-0_22049-3

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Anoop,

The hinges are different because the CS can be a built in model. The shelves are different in the CS1200 in the door. Mine are all glass with the metal bar and no plastic at all. The CS 1360 (Allow the fridge to be built in) is similar to the CS1611. The shelves appear to be the same and so are the baskets in the freezer. I agree it is really hard to make a decision without seeing the fridge. Do you have a European cabinet store in your area? Many of these have Liebherrs displayed in their kitchens so you can get a look and feel of the units. What state are located in? You may be able to find a showroom to see these in but you may have to travel a bit.

Good luck!

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I went to another store that had this Bosch unit on display and I could hear the same sound. So looks like the folks that are saying it's normal are correct. I probably have dog hearing. So--am I doomed? Would older top-freezer fridges be quieter with respect to the shrill sound?

I am in the Sacramento area in CA. I have called all the dealers listed on Liebherr's site (many of them go to dead phones or wrong numbers because the list is probably old) and none of the ones I have been able to reach have the CS1200. Only one of the places had the french door model (which won't work for me because it is too tall). I guess I may have to make a few out of area calls and I may have to take a day off work to see one.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Reading the Liebherr CS1200 manual, I see:

>>

There must be a ventilation shaft at least 2 " (51 mm)
    deep at the back of the top cupboard over the entire
    width of the top cupboard.

>>

I will not have this space because the cabinet starts at 72", leaving barely 1/2" above the unit before the cabinet starts. So maybe this is not an option.

• User
    8 years ago

Address whatever cabinetry concerns are keeping you from choosing a built in. If you want quiet, then that is always going to be your best choice. Non built ins or ones not in a cabinetry alcove will all be noisier simply because of the installation. Fix the installation issues first as your low hanging fruit. Then go fridge shopping once you've done that.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I could probably swing the money needed for a built-in, but it just seems excessive. Between the work on the cabinets and actual refrigerator and installation, I would probably be looking at somewhere between $5K and $10K. Also, I just a new house, so there's a ton of expenses still like the backyard. My thinking was to start out with something less expensive and consider a replacement if it doesn't work out in 2-5 years.

The Bosch fit that bill perfectly except for the high-pitched sound. Despite the hassle of going through a return (and also the fact that I just don't like returning stuff in general) the more I hear the sound, the more I'm convinced that I cannot live with it even for the short term.

• User
    8 years ago

All modern fridges with linear compressors will sound similar.

Is the fridge installed into a cabinetry alcove, or is it freestanding in the room? Insulation in an alcove can make a big difference. It's not the normal sounding fridges that are the likely source for your frustration. It's likely the design and the install of the fridge. That can be addressed relatively easily without a great deal of expense simply by creating an insulated surround for a standard refrigerator.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is free standing. The top front of the cabinet is 72", but there is an additional 2" once you get past the cabinet frame. There is also a 3" wide hole (for the depth of the cabinet) under the left side next to the wall.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61646136/fridge.jpg

Hard to get full length because the island gets in the way.

Are you saying that I would likely have the same issue with the Liebherr?

Are there any fridges being sold without the linear compressor?

The 24" Liebherr will look puny and will leave a lot of gaps, but I'm more willing to compromise on looks if the sound will be OK.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

FYI, I did eventually get the CS1200 after seeing the CS1360 in person. So far so good.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Glad to here Anoop!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Please let me know as you go along how you like your CS1200. I'm looking at their HC2062, the 36" integrated FD model.

• anoop
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's an absolute beauty to look at. The handles are awesome and have a special easy-open feature, so you don't have to pull the door to get it off the vacuum seal. The attention to detail is very apparent, and the interior feels more upscale than the Bosch, as do things like the handles and hinges.

A couple of brackets for the shelves had some minor rust spots, so Liebherr is sending replacements. Temperature-wise it seems to be doing great. It has been making a lot of funny sounds (at times I think it may be eating my food), but none of them feel intrusive like the high-pitched whistling from the Bosch.

• User
    7 years ago

I recently bought a Bosch refrigerator, and I, too, hear the high pitch whine. I was considering returning it, but after reading some of the comments, I tend to agree that it's a problem caused by energy efficiency. Makes sense to me. I have tile floors and plan to try the insulation or carpet tips. However. I worry about airflow. Could that become an issue?

• HU-585092558
    4 years ago

I have the same problem with the Bosch noise 😱😱 it’s driving me and my dog nuts did the insulation trick work ? I too am worried about airflow : I Was so happy to see this thread I know it’s three years ago but I hope someone can help me and I answer whether or not they ever solve the problem in their home? I’m out of the return time. So I have to keep it but I’ve got to come up with something or I’m going to lose my mind! Thanks for any help

• anoop
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There were several threads around noisy fridges, but I don't think I ever saw a conclusive responsive on how to address it. Here is one more:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2325655/does-a-reasonably-quiet-refrigerator-exist

A couple of solutions mentioned involve use of sound insulation such as safe n sound or roxul.

It is an absolute pain having a noisy fridge, so I do empathize with you.

• HU-585092558
    4 years ago

you are so sweet to respond.I am out of the return timeline so......I put some insulation things against the wall on either side of the fridge...didn't help. I have no room above , I'm at the top of the alcove already with only 1/8 inch left. I don't think I can put carpet under it. because Im afraid of air flow and I have no room for the fridge to rise up since it's already so snug in the alcove above and side to side...I wonder if I put doors to enclose this dumb this would work. Wonder if the unit would have enough air flow if I enclose it with double wood doors.

I love the look of the fridge. I wonder if I should call the bosch man. Hopefully someone else her on this thread can help.

• anoop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If you're out of the return period but within warranty, I guess it wouldn't hurt to call Bosch. At the very least it will send them the message of one more customer that is unhappy with the noise, so maybe they address it in their next design. They might be able to offer some suggestions, but I really doubt it will help. How long have you had the fridge?

• HU-702279427
    2 years ago

I'm dealing with the same issue. Brand new whirlpool fridge driving me nuts with high pitched metal etching sound from compressor for two years. Purchased an LG and plugged it in today and I think it's even worse. I live in a 750 ft2 house and there is no escape from it. feeling very frustrated and just wasted $1100. for nothing.

• maashannah
    2 years ago

We have a counter depth bosch fridge and the high pitch noise is making me feel crazy. Not everyone can hear it apparently. The technician said its normal. It is so loud i can hear it upstairs and across the house. Our house is small so we are going to have to try insulation or something. Boo Hiss. This is truly ridiculous.

• maashannah
    2 years ago

We have a counter depth bosch fridge and the high pitch noise is making me feel crazy. Not everyone can hear it apparently. The technician said its normal. It is so loud i can hear it upstairs and across the house. Our house is small so we are going to have to try insulation or something. Boo Hiss. This is truly ridiculous.

• Leslie Matthews
    11 months ago

We purchased a counter depth Bosch about 3 weeks ago and the high-pitched noise is really bothersome for me, too. I am considering trying to return it. I would love to hear from others about whether they returned a refrigerator due to this high pitched noise, whether they purchased something else (e.g. Liebherr) and were happier with it. Thanks!

• anoop
    11 months ago

Not sure if you read the whole thread, but I did return the Bosch and did get a Liebherr. It's been over 7 years now and I'm happy with the Liebherr.

• Leslie Matthews
    11 months ago

Thanks anoop! I did read the whole thread - just wondered if anyone besides you stumbled on the thread and had a similar experience. I'm so happy you like the Liebherr. We are thinking of returning the Bosch and buying a liebherr as well.

• John L
    11 months ago

I'm having very similar problems, although my fridge is not a Bosch. The original audio links are no longer working, so I can't compare. The high-pitched, whining / whistling noise really bothers me, but I think I've also become a bit sensitive to the frequency. I would love to hear your objective opinion on the sounds.

Near the compressor: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HSDg_A8Upfv2MEcP6-wUoqoV6EPqdi9l/view?usp=share_link

A bit higher, further from the compressor: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1skZHkIzP4I-huGCET4N0LlycjuaPRI5y/view?usp=share_link

• anoop
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Can‘t play the clips on my iphone browser. “There was a problem playing this audio file.”

• Leslie Matthews
    11 months ago

I was able to play your clips on my laptop, google chrome. Sounds a little lower pitched than my new Bosch (I'm planning to return it if possible) noise, but would annoy me also. What brand is your fridge, John? How old is your fridge? Thanks!

• PRO
    emmaback
    9 months ago

It could be tinnitus

• amy stivens
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I lost ability to hear Bass tones (like vibrations) in my right ear, there is no treatment for that. Sometimes its better sometimes its worse I cant figure out how to treat it, and doctor only tested me on high tones and they are okay. Its frustrating when having headphones, it feels like it comes more from left side than right. Checking ear cleaning nyc at the moment and hope that professional cleaning can help me a little with the issue.

• artemis78
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

We have a Bosch as well and in doing my insane research on which brand to get, it seemed that their fridges either do or don't have this issue, and if they do it's almost always evident right out of the box. Thankfully, ours doesn't make this noise (or at least I don't hear it if it does--but I do hear it in the videos.) Happily the only noticeable noise from ours is the water flowing to the icemaker and then the ice being made. We do have it on a Marmoleum/cork floor, so maybe that helps?