Bonus Native or Weed?

edlincoln(6A)

I purchased an American Persimmon from a nursery specializing in New England natives. I got a vine with the tree. Cool bonus native or horrible weed?

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I am having a hard time seeing it in the photo.

1 Like Save    
edlincoln(6A)

Vine with oval leaves wrapped around the stake in the foreground.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It is backlit and the focus is on the background. I can not see any detail in the plant. A better picture might get better results.

1 Like Save    
texasranger2

It looks like some type of Smilax, there are several types. Try comparing it to Smilax auriculata. Usually the type I see around here is Smilax bona nox which has silver markings on the leaves. They are common and I have volunteers from time to time so maybe its planted by birds eating seeds. Its also called Greenbriar.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Greenbriar around hear is VERY different. That is interesting about the variability.

Save    
edlincoln(6A)

Could be Smilax auriculata but the leaves are a bit blunter. Not bona nox.

Its a few feet from a gratuitous abandoned trellis I want to get vines to climb, but inches from a baby persimmon tree. Is it worth saving?

Save    
texasranger2

Gee, Ed, hard to tell, you need to find out what it is to know if its a good surprise freebie or an evil alien invader. I hate vines so around here the only good vine is a dead vine, but thats not the case with everyone. I'd definitely find out what it is. Smilax has tenacious roots, even the little 2" ones need the shovel because they just break off if you try to pull one. If someone doesn't ID it here try the Name that Plant forum, those guys are really good.

I pulled up these pictures of S. auriculata, you can compare it and decide if thats what it is.

Save    
Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Smilax isn't a little trellis entity, they are huge woody perennials, at least this one was. These giant tuberous roots were under an azalea that we dug out. Most have wicked thorns too. Unless you have a mature tree for it to climb, I don't think you would enjoy it. Not that you'd enjoy it up a tree anyway, but the birds sure would. AFAIK, there aren't any invasive exotics since I've never seen ID'd as such, but it's not something I've looked into. I don't think anyone will be able to figure out which species from that one pic, there are so many of them and the plant is in your shadow in the pic.

Save    
Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Another chunk that still had some foliage attached.

Save    
texasranger2

Oh my. Like a tader. I thought bindweed was bad.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have a half acre of ground that I can't walk into that is all smilax. It is a bane of the devel and the birds do like to spread this native devil weed around. It has climbed 35 ' into a grove of live oaks. I try to keep it from starting other places but it is a constant struggle. one of many. If it is smilax , kill it now while you have a chance.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 5 Things to Know About Weeding and Mulching Your Native Garden
What’s the best time to pull weeds? How thick should the mulch be? Here’s the scoop for a healthy landscape
Full Story
Gardening Guides Let's Weed Out 4 Native Plant Myths
Plant wisely for a garden that supports pollinators and requires less work
Full Story
Native Plants Great Native Plant: Grow Wild Quinine for Its Unique Clusters of Blooms
Get connoisseur cred and unique blooms with this uncommon plant. Bonus assets: It’s low maintenance and drought tolerant
Full Story