SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_26596141

Rotten tree cavity

8 years ago

I have a large Chinese Elm that has a deep cavity where 3 large branches meet. I had cleaned it out the summer after I bought my house and was told by my local extension to put rocks in there to minimize water enough to keep bugs from breeding in the yuck. I discovered in the past few weeks bugs were growing in there again despite the rocks. Also the yuck has been seeping down the trunk killing surrounding plants (Columbine, hosta, lilly of the valley) and the stench carries into my house.

I tried to remove the rocks to clean it out again & was then going to lime it followed by some spray foam insulation once I knew it was all dried out. The tree appears to have grown around the rocks & they won't budge.

I have no attachment to the tree except that it will be exspensive to cut down (due to location) when it dies... so woud like to keep it in the best shape possible till it meets a natural death. I'd like to keep the water out of the crevice due to smell & bugs that bite. Do I just add more rocks? Is there a powder I could safley put in there?

Comments (13)