SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a44088

Craftsman 24 HP 42" Lawn Tractor with strange problem

Dean
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Model 917.288563. 41 hours of use since new (on built-in hour meter).

Mower runs normal for about 5 minutes from cold start at which time it starts to run rough, as if running on one cylinder. Ignition switch has 4 positions. OFF - REVERSE - RUN - START. When the problem started, I observed that the mower would operate in reverse even though the ignition switch was in the NORMAL (forward only) position. Normally the ignition switch has to be in the REVERSE position in order to operate in reverse. I removed the ignition switch a blew away grass clippings between the contacts as well as the connector thinking that there might be a current leakage path causing the problem Not so. On ONE occasion, I lifted myself briefly off the seat kill switch and the engine started to run normal once again but not for long. Since the schematic shows IGNITION SWITCH, REVERSE SWITCH, SEAT SWITCH, IGNITION UNIT and SHORTING CONNECTOR (whatever that is) as components that could possibly be the cause of the problem, I'd like to narrow it down to the culprit so as not to buy all of them to fix the problem. Any advice from someone who has had this experience is welcomed. Thanks for your response(s). Dean

Comment