SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoerosehill

How far to plant Purple Splash climber from house?

Donna R zone 6a
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have an area on the east side of the two story part of our house that I made into a rose garden. I didn't have anywhere else to plant the "Purple Splash" climber that I have. It's been in the ground for a little over two months now, and had one cane that lived which is about 5 ft high. I planted it 24" from the side of the house, thinking that air circulation is good for large climbing roses. I bought a Dura Tell Estate Trellis which is 94" high and 58" wide. I was planning on placing the trellis on nails driven into the mortar, so this would be flush with the house. I suppose we could install the trellis free standing, if this rose is planted too far for the other application. One of the rose lovers here has a Purple Splash and shared a photo of it at her house. It's a giant of a climber, so this area should suit it well. I planted the rose centered between the end of the house and a window. I sure hope 24" is not too far. Any advice would be appreciated. I would hate to think of moving it, since only one cane lived. (hope this all makes sense.)

Comments (7)