SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michey1st_gw

Widening an opening in (former exterior) brick wall

michey1st_gw
8 years ago

Hi remodel experts!

I'm contemplating an upcoming kitchen remodel and am trying to arm myself with information for when I start to talk to contractors.

Background: Our house is a 1960, single story brick ranch with a full basement. On the back of the house, a previous owner has added a family room addition (single story plus new basement space. The addition has a gabled roof joining up perpendicularly with the roof of the existing house, but I have no idea what construction methods were used to attach the old part of the house to the new addition. The wall between the former back of the house and the new family room is around 12 inches thick, so I surmise they left the former exterior brick intact and added studs and wallboard on the addition-side of the wall. To access the family room, there is a 4 foot wide doorway connecting to the kitchen (this cased opening is where I can tell the wall is 12" thick between the 2 rooms). The brick itself is laid in such a way where every few courses, the bricks are turned 90 degrees (I presume this means structural brick, and not brick veneer).

Our project: We wish to extend the existing 4 foot opening to around 12 feet to give more open-ness between the kitchen and family room. I'm ok with keeping a header beam and casing the opening, but if a recessed beam is possible, I will consider it, depending on cost.

Assuming that whatever contractor I go with figures out the correct load for calculating the beam needed and also assuming there IS brick in the wall between the two rooms, what else do I need to look out for? Above the new opening there will likely be a few courses of bricks remaining (8 foot ceilings, 80" tall opening). Should those bricks remain and shored up with a lintel? Or, should all brick be removed above the opening? Are there any other questions I should be asking as I talk to potential contractors?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to stuff like this, so i'm trying to get as much information as possible to make sure my house doesn't crumble around me, lol.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (5)