SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Overstated negative traits of various species...add your own

hairmetal4ever
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

There are a lot of tree species that are commonly discussed, that have so-called "negative" characteristics, that are not typically as bad as stated. I'm not talking so much about negative characteristics that some people like, as I am about things simply aren't as bad as people say they are. I'll let a couple, and then ask for more input.

This is from a mid-Atlantic perspective, so anything in your region, feel free to add.

1. The heat and drought intolerance of sugar maple

You hear the about this a lot right here in Maryland. Sugar maple doesn't like heat or drought. While this is true to a point, I find at least in this area, at the fringe of their native range, sugar maples tend to do just fine if sited properly. What bothers them far more than typical summer heat or dryness, is urban conditions. Sugar Maple is far more sensitive to urban conditions, such as reflected heat from pavement, limited soil volume, and most importantly, road salt, than many other trees. But, for a sugar maple planted with plenty of soil to grow into, and space to grow, will be perfectly happy in our summers here.

2. The slow growth of oaks

Quite simply, in my experience, Oaks grow relatively rapidly in the condition. Even the slower growing Oaks, such as Quercus alba, grows at a respectable rate if conditions are good.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting