Which way is "up?"

syd1155

This is just a very silly question I have. I'm sending many thank you cards to friends and just wondering.....what is the "proper" way to insert the card into the envelope? Should it go opening in first, or folded part in first? I know it's silly, but it's driving me crazy which way is "correct"! Can anybody help me figure this out? Thanks!

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoAnn_Fla

I don't see why it would really matter. I think it would be easier to take a card out of the envelope if the solid end was at the opening. Also a less chance of getting a paper cut. jmo

Save    
syd1155

Yeah, I realize this is silly and you're right....it truly doesn't matter. I suppose it's similar to that thing about which way the toilet paper should hang. It's all just your matter of preference. I was just wondering if there was a "proper" way to do it or not.

Save    
bleusblue2

I was trying to post to this last night and my computer connection failed -- big storm. I also would say it's no big deal. I always put the fold at the opening and then, put the card or letter into the envelope in the way you think you, yourself, would like to withdraw it. Nobody really knows what envelope opening style another person has!

Save    
CA Kate z9

I usually put the card in open-end down and pretty side toward the fold so when the receiver opens it they see the front of the card and upright. just my way.....

Personally, I'm just glad to get a card any way it comes.... they are so rare these days.

Save    
bleusblue2

Kate -- very good description and what I was trying to say in my own post. Your mind is so logical. Yes, I don't care how the mail comes, it's just nice to get it!

Save    
cbollinger27

Yes, I agree with you guys. Getting cards and especially hand-written letters is pretty rare these days. Letter writing is quickly becoming a dying art. Emails are fairly close to letter writing, however, as you guys stated, there's something about receiving a card with a hand-written note or letter inside it that just touches the heart. I used to teach English, and I always would teach my kids how important the skill of writing a letter is or even just writing a thank you note to someone to show your appreciation for their kindness. This is truly becoming a dying art and I for one, am very sad about that. Modern technology has its place, however, sometimes there's something to be said for that personal, HUMAN touch that no amount of technology can ever replace. As for the "proper" way to put the card in the envelope.....who cares?! It simply doesn't matter. It's sending and receiving the cards that is the most important!! Thanks for reminding me of that! :)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Landscape Design Garden Overhaul: Which Plants Should Stay, Which Should Go?
Learning how to inventory your plants is the first step in dealing with an overgrown landscape
Full Story
Furniture Which Dining Table Shape Should You Choose?
Rectangular, oval, round or square: Here are ways to choose your dining table shape (or make the most of the one you already have)
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Adding On: 10 Ways to Expand Your House Out and Up
A new addition can connect you to the yard, raise the roof, bring in light or make a statement. Which style is for you?
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More