SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter1242

Harvest Pics 2015

Peter (6b SE NY)
8 years ago

The site is kind of slow... is everyone busy harvesting their bounty? Post pics and share!

Here's some of my harvest this week.

(These are the same tomatoes)

Comments (222)

• insideoutsidegarden
    8 years ago

@illiveggies Thats a pretty good amount of basil if unstemmed. ?

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

Picked another bunch of tomatoes and peppers today. If the weather stays strong another two weeks I'll end up with another 150 tomatoes or so. Something go to my vines. They all are kaput. Watermelon, honeydew, cukes, pattypans, etc... all the plants died. No SVB, only thing is black spots that start small and grow bigger on the fruit. So disappointed in no watermelon this year.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Nice photos, everyone! These threads are fun to look at.

Here's some of what I picked today. We already used a lot of the tomatoes for dinner. I grow ornamental gourds for fall decorating. Thank goodness for Sungolds. Other tomatoes were slow this year. We have enough left from this picking to make some fresh salsa including the tomatillos. Also grew green beans, cucumbers, and zucchini which aren't shown.

• Jason B
    8 years ago

Gonna be picking at least another half dozen + here in the next couple days....

• Jason B
    8 years ago

Look at the different stages of " blushing " planted these 2 celebrity, one big beef and one husky red cherry mid may, they were bought at home depot, six inch tall " potted Bonnie plants " in the biodegradable peat pots and they just keep.on producing, Still seeing New flowering, not bad for southwest ohio, zone 6b I believe I'm in

• Jason B
    8 years ago

Used two applications of vigro brand fertilizer, other than that, just fresh bags of topsoil mixed in with dried leaves and mixed in a wheelbarrow and dumped in each hole......nothing special, but this is a previous garden spot I used the previous year before last but was since grown over, next year I want to try growing asparagus, I know they take several years to start producing

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

Jason, my wife works at Home Depot and their success with Bonnie Plants is well noted. They own the Vigoro brand, but Bonnie Plants are very successful there. We purchased many of them over the years, have seeded them and they continue to produce for us. Great stuff! The only issue I have had is with three tomato plants this year. I purchased a Mr. Stripey, San Marzano and a Roma plant. They were a good size and closely packed with many other plants. They water the plants with a shower head spray from above and I am convinced that is why those plants within two weeks were stricken with septoria or something similar to it.

Another great thing about Home Depot, if you blow the plant up they accept it as a return if you have the receipt. Great looking plants there, too!

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Bonnie's plants at my local Home Depot looked really terrible this year. The tomatoes are ok (the ones that weren't damaged by frost), but the peppers and eggplants were not looking hot at all... and last year the peppers and eggplants I bought from them did abysmal, there is no comparison to growing your own seedlings. They also come from deep down South, often with disease hitching a ride. Sorry Jim I am not a fan of Bonnie's....

The Bonnie's asparagus I bought last year on the other hand is doing awesome!

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

Wow, that surprises me Peter. We have had great luck with their stuff. Home Depot has this insane policy where they refund anything, including live plants. My wife has told me stories about people bringing back houseplants months after the purchase because they died and Home Depot provides them with refunds.

Aspargus is something I really want to grow, but my patience is so strained that years out is like an eternity to me. With that in mind, had I started this garden when I built my house in 1999 I would be light years beyond where I am now, with a ton of aspargus...... It is a side effect of trading options in the stock market. Long term is later today.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I could have definitely harvested asparagus this year, having planted it last Spring (from Bonnie's seedlings). I am sorry I didn't, it produced abundant ferns.

The refund policy is great (and nuts on their part...), but can't replace not having garden vegetables that year.

• illiveggies
    8 years ago

My second thinning harvest of fall radishes this week.

http://edenpatch.com/harvests/119

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

Wow, I though asparagus was a 3 year wait. I will have to drop some seeds this weekend. Appreciate the input.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They say it is, but with the seedling transplants I bought they established extremely well the first year. Meanwhile the crowns I bought this year did terrible. I am not sure why crowns are the standard. I think they say the seedlings don't transplant well, but that was not my experience.

• helenb1949
    8 years ago
    1. My national picklers went crazy this year. At the end of the season I had over 120 quarts and over 24 pints of pickles. I made mainly bread & Butter and Dill pickles. Did a vegetable melody of cukes, pepper, onion, garlic, and carrot.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sweet Tangerine and Jet Star still making tomatoes. Many are severely catfaced, but these are pretty good.

14 pounds of Golden Rave picked today! These guys don't quit - they are a favorite of mine this year, taste and production. Looks like more yellow sauce is an order. They do have issues with catfacing and splitting too though.

Eggplants still doing great!

Peppers not doing bad either!

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

fantastic bounty so late in the season. You really get your money's worth from those little tomatoes up there.

Peter (6b SE NY) thanked Jim's
  • Peter (6b SE NY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! Yes I planted 3 of them and pound for pound they outproduced the Sungold. I didn't even pick the Sungolds today as they would have immediately split if they haven't already, and they weren't going to get eaten.

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

I have a black cherry, more like a black plum they are so big, and the plant got the bejeezus beaten out of it by the septoria and early blight 6 weeks ago. Well, lo and behold, after it was completely bare, new sprouts everywhere and they most incredible smokey and sweet fruit is now plentiful. Three plants devastated from the blight, all seemingly died back to naked dry looking branches and all are fully grown back in. I will really have to work the soil when I pull them next month.

All my fall leafy greans are going gangbusters. You can almost visibly see the red mustard grow. Every morning it looks like another couple leaves and 2 inches in height has grown on them.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Plants can be unexpectedly resilient. Last year my zucchini was completely dead down to the stem from PM and came back and made zucchini in October. Glad to hear everything turned out well! Smokey flavor sounds like something to consider for next year.

• karl_tn
    8 years ago

Still getting a ton of peppers ( except my bell ) Gona pick some tomatoes tommorow, here's another pick of some ghosts I picked today, got a ton orange and green left on my plants. My Thai peppers have been producing finally also

• Jason B
    8 years ago

Just harvested another 30 tomatoes, here are a couple before pics

• Jason B
    8 years ago

And here are the post harvest pics, I can't believe how many tomatoes these 3 plants have produced since mid July and they keep on.producing, not bad for zone 6

• Pumpkin (zone 10A)
    8 years ago

Growing season is just starting up--picked a bunch of key limes and the first eggplant and pepper of the season. Calliope eggplant and padron pepper.

• illiveggies
    8 years ago

Almost getting to a close here - got some nice fall radishes and few okra stragglers.

http://edenpatch.com/harvests?uid=1&sdt=2015-09-30&edt=2015-10-01

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

Enjoyed seeing everyone's gardens and produce!

Mini Ornamental Gourds
    The end of my 2015 vegetable garden.

• antmary_Omaha_NE_5b
    8 years ago

Yesterday I dag carrots. They are scarlet Nantes. I like this job.

• antmary_Omaha_NE_5b
    8 years ago

I also have more fall greens that I need. Bock Choy, kale, daikon rutabaga, and the other leafy greens which I do not remember the name of.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow awesome carrots! When were they planted?

• antmary_Omaha_NE_5b
    8 years ago

Carrots were planted in May. I used some of them during the summer and all what is left is going to be used in winter. I like carrots because they are easy crop for me. They grow fine without much of my attention.

• Christian
    8 years ago

These are "Benning's Green Tint" squash, an heirloom patty-pan squash. We've gotten lots of these... this is just a sample from a couple of day's pickings. These plants are winding down now due to the powdery mildew, but they were very productive.

• Jason B
    8 years ago

Went thru 2 days of below freezing temps, first freeze and frost warnings of the season but my garden is close to the house and all my pine trees must of kept the temps up because my tomatoes are alive and I just harvested a few more .......

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

Any tomato plant that produces Yuengling is the variety I want to grow next year! Do they have one that grows 12 packs of New Belgium?

• karl_tn
    8 years ago

My pepper plants still hanging in there, 5 gal bucket of ghost peppers I picked today, also picked some red bells, I still have Serrano and hot banana to pick. The ghosts I will probley give away, I have dehydrated a bunch , smoked some and also made powder. I have enough for us for a couple years easily

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Those look mighty dangerous Karl!! Habs are too hot for me LOL.

I pulled all of my Pepper plants last weekend and chopped and froze a bunch of sweet peppers. I also pickled about 20 pints of mixed peppers thru the season.

Not much left in my garden except for some fall carrots and Daikon radishes. Garlic and Shallots have sprouted. We have a couple hard frosts in the forecast in the next week so I will probably harvest and process my Horseradish on the weekend of Nov 14 unless I am processing venison as that is opening weekend of firearm deer season here in Missouri.

• karl_tn
    8 years ago

Yea there to hot for me too, but I really like the powder, have made jerky and sprinkled it with the powder before dehydrating, the wife just to the peppers to a friends so I guess I'll get some jam or hot sauce from that .good luck hunting, I havnt got the chance to get out yet. Still got sme venison left from last year but would defiantly like to have some more

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

Looks good Karl. Can you believe the temps today? Looks like our weather is going to hold out another week. That will give mine time to finish ripening.

• antmary_Omaha_NE_5b
    8 years ago

Last sweet peppers were picked about a week ago.

And here is our Halloween fun.

• Jason B
    8 years ago

Nope no beer tomato variety I know of but it's fun to show an all American, family owned and brewed beer, next to your late season tomatoes that survived several freezes !

• rgreen48
    8 years ago

Yeah Jason, that's similar to the reasons I drink New Belgium. They are employee owned and extremely green in their practices and energy consumption.

• Jason B
    8 years ago

Exactly, all the major brands are now foreign owned, Budweiser, Miller, Coors, it's unbelievable

• Jason B
    8 years ago

Green is a major plus

• karl_tn
    8 years ago

Rgreen, yea this weather is nice, supposed to drop to bout 40 Sunday morn from what I hear, I will cover what I still have just in case it drops a little lower, I'm Gona keep what's left going as long as possible

• db6040
    8 years ago

ccabal, Nice looking patty pans. I have only cooked or eaten patty pans once and that was when we got a CSA - before we started gardening. What do you do with them, any particular recipe? I was thinking of maybe trying to grow a plant of them next year.

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

db, I had dozens of patty-pans. What we didn't eat fresh and all the ones that got really big we made soup with. My wife added a bunch of cinnamon and some brown sugar, thickened it up, and it is like a dessert. We pretty much do that with all the 'extra' squash we have.

• antmary_Omaha_NE_5b
    8 years ago

This is Sunburst F1 patty pan. It is very productive. I had so many squashes just from one plant that I got tired of them. They are very good tasting and can be used the same way as zucchini when young. At the end of the season I let them to grow and mature, at this stage I use them for decorations only, since they are very colorful.

• db6040
    8 years ago

Thanks Jim's and Antmary. Sounds like it might not be a bad thing to add to the grow list for 2016!! It's 75 degrees here in Pittsburgh today so why not think spring.

• Jason B
    8 years ago

Just picked a few more........taste is down but still beats store bought

• Christian
    8 years ago

Had our first freeze yesterday so had to pick the rest of the peppers!

2 sugar pie pumpkins, 2 spaghetti squash, and a hubbard squash picked a couple weeks ago, and are curing on our kitchen table (and serving all nice fall decorations too)

• antmary_Omaha_NE_5b
    8 years ago

The last of the roots crop: small Daikons and turnips. Very big parsnips.

• Pumpkin (zone 10A)
    8 years ago

Just started my fall pickings, some Thai & padron chiles. Harvests should ramp up in the next few weeks. I also picked 8 lbs of key limes total, here's one bucket: