SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

Pacific NW travel

MtnRdRedux
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I had posted on this before, in re a ski vacation for spring break next year.

That has all changed, we are skiing in VT over Christmas, and going to India for Spring break. So disappointed not to do Tahoe, but I appreciate poster's advice about the drought.

Anyway, the Pacific NW is the last area of the US my family has not seen. I ran into someone lately extolling the beauty of Lake Louise and she also told me that summer weeks book very far in advance, eg up to a year! I called the Fairmont in LL and they give a 25% discount if we book now, not at all insubstantial for 5nights lodging for a 2br looking over the lake.

We would like to take a trip next June, about 2 wks. My current plans are 3 nights each in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, then 5 nights in Lake Louise. We will fly NYC to Portland, drive to Seattle and Vancouver, then fly into and out of Calgary.

I have been to Seattle and Portland before, so there are some things I do not want to repeat (San Juan Islands, whale watching). I think we will do most of our hiking around Lake Louise rather than in the States. I do want to see the Lewis and Clark site, some of the Oregon Coast, and we have a full roster of Seattle activities, based on wonderful suggestions the last time I posted.

I am a little clueless about what to do in Vancouver, and how to split time between Banff and LL?

Also, we have had two great Air BnB experiences and we think we would do that again in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver. What neighborhoods should we look at? If we choose a home a little outside of town (one we like is 10 min out of Portland), how much of a PITA is driving and parking in the city proper in these places?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (52)

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago
  • prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

The first house is in a nice location. It should be quiet, convenient, and pretty. It'll be super easy to get downtown from there or head across the river to the east side. The second would be great for getting around downtown, but probably not as quiet.

Edit to add: the Mississippi area house looks fun. That's a gentrified area with a lot going on. There will be nightlife options there- much more so than the first two houses. It's also a very convenient location for getting downtown and you'll already be in one of the most active east side neighborhoods.

• Related Discussions

Gardenia for Pacific NW?

Q

Comments (19)
    I've read through numerous comments & reviews from different sites, and this is what I've found: Chuck Hayes is supposed to be particularly suited for the PNW. This may be because it tolerates the hot dry summers better, or it may be it is able to grow a bit better in the cooler earlier part of the growing season, perhaps because it's one of the few hardy varieties that's not dwarfed in growing habit. One person in Alabama commented their Frostproof gardenias did not survive in their zone 7/6b climate. (Perhaps she should have covered them with a bag and mulch to protect them) I read that hardy gardenias can make it through the Winter in Southern New Jersey, zone 7, if planted in a somewhat protected site close to a wall and out of the wind. Frostproof, Daisy, variegata, and Chuck Hayes have all survived there. Someone in East Tennessee, zone 6b/7a, said that their Frost Proof had been hit hard by two Winters in a row, wasn't doing well, and from the looks of it he expected it would not survive the next Winter. He claimed it was growing right next to a Mystery which was 8 feet tall, and he also said Daisy and Chuck Hayes did well for him. This could be a fluke because obviously Mystery is not [supposed to be] as hardy as Frost Proof. There are several potential explanations, like maybe it was mislabeled, or maybe what was killing it was the Summer not the Winter. [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/newer-gardenias-for-zone-6-dsvw-vd~1914658[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/newer-gardenias-for-zone-6-dsvw-vd~1914658) (post #4) These reports are from the South and I haven't read any reports of gardenias surviving in anything less than zone 8 in the cooler PNW. Some comments said that the wet rainy cold Winters can cause the roots to rot, so they should be planted in a very well drained location. Perhaps covered with a plastic sheet over the Winter to prevent the soil getting too wet. Someone else commented that they planted a Kleim's Hardy in Tacoma up against a house which was growing fine outside for 5 years. Someone else in Oregon, zone 8, said they had three Kleim's Hardy gardenias that had survived a Winter outside in pots, and then after being planted in the ground they did great and put out many flowers. Mark Clipsham commented on Permies.com: "I visited Seattle about two years ago and was surprised to see gardenias that had been hacked back because they had gotten overgrown among other things." Not sure how much truth there could be to that, it does sound a little bit exaggerated, or could be possible he misidentified the plant. Someone left this comment: " Some of the Gardenias that we use in the Pacific Northwest are the following Kleim’s Hardy, Frost Proof, and Chuck Hayes. ... I have a number of clients growing gardenias successfully in the Seattle area " https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1429001/#b Someone else commented he read a post from a member in this forum who has gardenia Veitchii growing in the ground in Bremerton. https://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/threads/pittosporum-tobira.38558/ (post #6) (Veitchii is not a hardy variety, and if the variety was actually Veitchii it was probably surviving due to luck) A comment by someone else in Olympia, WA: "Really bad winters only happen about every 5-7 years. I try not to grow anything more than a zone warmer than my location (8a) and I protect plants to made sure they don’t have foliage damage. I don’t get depressed when a plant dies, I look at it as a new opportunity to try a new plant or better variety. I did some experimenting with foliage hardiness this time around. For example its taken me years of trail to finally fine the best gardenia for the PNW and (for the right one to come along). That gardenia is called ‘frost proof’. With just a cardboard box over it I was able to save two flower buds left over from summer." post by Palm Crazy, Dec 11, 2013, http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39495-winter-weather/&page=2
    ...See More

Exotic fruit for the Pacific NW

Q

Comments (48)
    Don't forget pomegranates, but it's important to pick one of the hardier russian varieties, 'Crimson Sky', or possibly 'Parfianka' may be able to do well through the winter. Quince is another one, generally a fruit for cooking but there are a few less common varieties that are tolerably edible raw. I'm talking about Cydonia oblonga, not your more common ornamental flowering quince. The fruits are pretty fragrant when ripe. Chinese Bayberry may be a rare one for consideration. flavor and color like blackberry but both tree and fruit strongly resemble the Mediterranean strawberry tree (even though there's no relation). There's also Che fruit, which has a flavor reminiscent of watermelon and figs. How about lingonberry? It's related to cranberry but better more subtle flavor without the bitterness. There are some less common citrus that may be able to grow outside where you are, though not as good tasting as supermarket citrus and usually full of seeds. Some of these can be used to make delicious baking recipes, similar to calamondin. Would sour cherry count as exotic? There's also a cherry bush hybrid called "Carmine Jewel" with flavor like sour cherry but as sweet as regular cherry. Very cold tolerant too.
    ...See More

Ridiculous heat in the Pacific NW

Q

Comments (26)
    My family has been out west on several occasions; how different the heat is was something we always remarked upon. At a ranch on the high plains of Montana, the thermometer on the shady side of a deck, early afternoon, was showing 90F, however it was windy and if you stood there you actually felt chilly! At 90F! Which if you think about it should be possible if the humidity is insanely low like 10% RH...it still is below your body temp. And of course we were wearing the 1980s style short pants and short-short sleeve polo shirts...probably wouldn't have felt chilly in jeans. Also we were also warned that night that we would have to put blankets on the bed. Sure enough we woke up the next morning freezing our butts off, it must have been around the upper 40s by morning. Without running any heat at night, the little clapboard wooden ranch (on a real ranch LOL) house cooled off quickly. This was right next to the Rockies, but to the east, so there was probably Chinook heating during the day. A few years later we were in Port Angeles WA for one of your heatwaves...maybe around 1990 or 1991? It had started when we were in Astoria, OR. Anyhow I can't remember the exact figure now but it was above 90F and locals acted like it was a sign of the end times. We specifically remarked it was NOT as dry feeling as Montana had been 3 or 4 years earlier. But our motel gave us a window fan to air the room out and it did seem to cool down a little bit at night...enough to sleep anyhow. Not the stifling humidity of the east at all. By the time we went on to Victoria, BC, it had cooled down. update: based on the chart from this academic paper: http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/JAMC-D-12-094.1  it was indeed 1990. And that would make sense because our family friends in San Francisco were still able to show us fresh damage from the 1989 earthquake, which was probably removed/rebuilt by summer 1991.
    ...See More

China aster plants in Pacific NW

Q

Comments (3)
    They do tend to appreciate higher than normal temperatures to germinate. Have you kept the seeds which haven't germinated? If so, I bet you'd still be able to get them to germinate with a trick or two like a heating pad under the vessel, or setting them outside on incredibly sunny days... I'd keep trying if it was me. I too had some pretty low numbers for them, but there are enough. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Pretty, that is so very helpful. What about the third one?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

If I was going all that way, I'd want to do Jasper too and hit the Athabasca falls. Especially since the drive itself between the two places is so incredibly beautiful. Peyto Lake is lovely too. But definitely do not miss Moraine Lake...it is the 2nd most beautiful spot on earth I've ever been.

I'd suggest you look at the Tauck tour just to see what they do and how long they stay there. I think I'd rather split the time between Jasper and Lake Louise rather than spend all the time in that one spot. (We went with Tauck and that was our trip of transportation...I think we were on almost every kind you could imagine...float plane, regular plane, bus, snow coach on the glacier, funicular, white water raft, horse back, overnight train, ferry....)

Oregon, yeah Fort Clatsop was interesting, but we enjoyed the Rose Gardens in Portland. We didn't get a chance to see the Japanese Gardens but they are supposed to be incredible. Don't miss the Columbia River Gorge....some incredibly beautiful waterfalls there.

Watching all the wind surfers on the river is fun too. I know it's a little off the trail you've set, but we so loved visiting Crater Lake...it was truly the bluest blue I have ever seen...in fact it's what caused us to go to OR in the first place.

Washington, I've never been to the Olympic Nat'l Park which I understand is quite stunning...a rain forest, it's supposed to look like a place the elves could pop out of the forest at any minute.

Vancouver and Victoria Island...butchart gardens is an absolute must. Her husband mined the place leaving a scar on the earth and she set out to fix it and did it beautifully!

I envy your going there...so much beauty to behold! Makes me want to go back.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pretty, I was intrigued by the beauty of the modern house, but if the gentrified one is in a good area for walking around, that might be fun, too. Thank you!

Thx Annie, I will look at Tauck. And LM is a definite! One of my DD did a huge Lewis and Clark project and we all watched the Ken Burns series on it, so it is a must.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hmm, Moraine Lake Lodge looks a lot more intimate than the Fairmont ...

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

I'm glad you mentioned Lewis and Clark. Because you did, we're thinking of heading to Fort Clatsop today. We haven't been since the kids were tiny. If we do, do you me to report back, Mtn? It'd be an hour out of your way on the the drive from Portland to Seattle.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, Pretty, thank you! Too funny. I do know it is out of the way, but hey ... education. I was wondering if there were someway to combine it with seeing the coast?

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

Absolutely! You can take 26 west out of Portland to Cannon Beach and then head north on 101 to Astoria to see Fort Clatsop.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Banff is not much more than a big tourist place. I'd stay in Lake Louise and if you really feel the need drive into Banff for an afternoon or an evening. I'm with Annie, I would drive from Lake Louise to Jasper. The drive, Icefields Parkway, with glaciers (unfortunately receding but still walkable) is stunning as is Jasper which has some great hiking and in June it gets dark really, really late which is kind of cool. If you decide not to do that at least go and see the Columbia Icefields which is partway along the same drive.

I'm in Vancouver so if you want to ask about something specific I'll answer but I don't think I'll make any suggestions. Your research always seems to be more than capable. I was born and raised here (as were my parents) and I don't really pay all that much attention to tourist interests. All I can tell you is that it is one heck of a beautiful space and very walkable. So post a list of places you are considering and I'll say yea or nay.

I will say that Vancouver Island is a separate trip and not something easily done in a day. I think there is still a ferry that you can take from Seattle to Victoria and you could do Victoria (which is a cool city) and then Butchart Gardens and then catch the ferry from Victoria to Horseshoe Bay on the mainland. Horseshoe Bay is in West Vancouver and about 20 minutes to downtown Vancouver.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

Vancouver...if you do nothing else, eat at Vij's.

Vij's

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Vij's has a food truck now as well, Vij's railroad express. Actually when you're researching, google night markets, they would have started by June and try some of the food trucks. Portland is also known for their amazing food and food trucks.

North Vancouver has a night market on Friday nights. You can take the Seabus from downtown and it lands at Lonsdale Quay where the night market is. There's music, food trucks, it's right on the water near a working shipyard and lots to see and you can go out to Esplanade St. and just walk along the water. If Friday night doesn't work there are other nights for other markets.

Shipyards night market

• Olychick
    8 years ago

I agree that Victoria is worth seeing. I think you have to get the ferry from Pt Angeles or Anacortes, though, although you can take the Victoria Clipper from Seattle for a day trip, or an overnight, but it's walk on only - you don't really need a car in Victoria. Afternoon Tea at the Empress is a tourist draw, but it is not really touristy and a fun experience. Gorgeous old hotel. Not sure I'd stay there, though. Butchart Gardens is worth the trip, but I was just there in June and there were HOARDS of tourists, even on the Tuesday, making it difficult to see a lot of the gardens.

• Gooster
    8 years ago

On the drive from Portland/Astoria to the coast, you may wish to stop at Mt. St Helens. It is also daytrippable from Portland. Although you will be seeing plenty of mountains on your trip, you won't see a volcano and the destruction like this. This probably will have high interest for the kids -- starting with the visitor center.

The main rainforests (Hoh, near Forks of Twilight fame) are on the opposite end of the where the Port Angeles car ferries depart. Port Angeles is pretty far from Seattle, when you consider the ferry ride and/or the drive around Puget Sound. (There is another area where you can get a similar rainforest feel). However, it is the departure point to get into Hurricane Ridge. However, since you are headed to LL/Banff this may be a lot of Alpine scenery for one trip. Similarly, Mt. Rainier and North Cascades NP -- where I worked in college - are closer to Seattle.

Victoria is very quaint but if you've been to London with the kids the charm will be diminished. The Gardens are great.

Nevertheless, a short Ferry ride *somewhere* should be on your itinerary. In Seattle, you might look for AirBnB homes in Queen Anne (residential), Eastlake (close to water), or Capital Hill ("artsy")/Madison Park (prime real estate). These are nice residential neighborhood close in to the downtown core, often close to clusters of restaurants and cafes. I think there are also houseboats for rent.

I grew up in the Seattle area and still visit often.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

We've been in Oregon for about 10 days now. Just went to Mt Hood today. I would definitely go to the Lewis & Clark winter quarters at Ft Clatsop. Small but very interesting and Ranger Tom entertained us for almost an hour with a talk. Also see the Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria while there. Allow a half day. Very good. And I didn't realize the Goonie house was there so it was a photo op drive-by. I love that movie. The Astoria Tower is currently wrapped in scaffolding and plastic for renovation & was a nightmare to find due to road construction. Don't bother unless you are sure it is complete. Eat at the Bridgewater Bistro.

We ate at the Oregon Culinary Institute one night. Really great meal for $18 for a 4-course meal, but make reservations well ahead. Your kids will also appreciate it. Several choices are available. Of course, Portland is full of great cuisine. Just pick anything else that suits.

You probably don't have time for Crater Lake as it is way south of your planned itinerary. But it is beautiful.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

We are doing almost the same trip, minus LL (we'll tackle that area another time) also in June! So I'm watching these responses...

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

Hey there Mtn, we did end up going to Fort Clatsop today. I'll echo what OutsidePlaying said, it is small and the rangers are very entertaining. I thought the exhibits at the visitor center were kind of underwhelming for National Park Service facility. My kids gave it a "meh". I learned a lot though. It doesn't take long to see it. Be advised that there are no ocean views along the stretch of 101 from Cannon Beach to Astoria. You have to go into the towns of Cannon Beach or Seaside to get to the ocean.

I know you'll have really limited time, but as Gooster said, Mt St Helens is pretty unique. It's worth the trip. There are a few interpretive centers along the way, but you can always go directly to the Johnston Ridge Observatory, which is the last stop and very cool. It overlooks the crater.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I meant to add...enjoyed the Chinese Gardens much more than the Japanese Gardens. However the Rose Gardens were wonderful.

MtnRdRedux thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    8 years ago

OSP since this is a Decorating Forum I would be remiss in not mentioning that the Street of Dreams just opened.. It's in Lake Oswego....about 7 minutes on the I-5 to Kruse Way. Left on Kruse Way to Boones Ferry. Left on BF which turns into Country Club. There are signs everywhere. It will be very crowded today. If you do happen to visit, you can drive to Downtown Lake Oswego and have a bite at Zeppos or a pastry at Honore Bakery and sit outside with a view of the lake. Then you can take Highway 43 back to downtown Portland. It's a pretty drive and just about 20 minutes.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Outside, Oh, I am looking forward to the gardens. That was one reason why I decided to go in June (though I generally prefer to travel when its off season at our summer home). I hear they are wonderful. OCI sounds like a cool idea! I'm thinking Crater Lake is somewhat like Lake Louise, and don't want ot be too repetitive (esp w kids, who tend to tire of scenery).

Lana, Some people are "who cares where we stay, you only sleep there". We are kind of the opposite view. To us,staying somewhere beautiful and fun/interesting/different sets the tone for the entire stay. So I spend a lot of time on that aspect.

I feel a little like an episode of HouseHunters, but, here goes. The first house is not the location I was thinking of, but I love the house and I think it would be fun for us to stay in a contemporary home, since we have never lived in one. Glad to hear it's easy to get into town and to park; we can easily avoid rush hours. The second one looks like a terrific location, but the decor is depressing so that is a total no-go, esp. now that you mention transients. The last one feels very "Portland" to me, which I like, but it's hard to know exactly where it is on the gentrification continuum. We had a similar thing in Venice Beach, which was a fabulous over the top penthouse but the area was just a tiny bit more bohemian that I'd like. Maybe I can ask the host to give me a more precise location.

Pretty, How old are your kids? That might be instructive. Hmm, I know that people say the OR coast is nicest further South, but that won't work itinerary wise. What part of the coast is nicest between Portland and Seattle?

At the risk of sounding overcome with ennui, we have travelled a lot so we have seen a goodly share of craters, volcanoes, live and not, lava fields, etc. For the same reason I don't really want to do more whale watching or take car ferries to cute little islands (funny how much the NW coast can sound like the NE coast!).

SueB, Didn't that happen once before? We were planning the same trip? FWIW, my old notes from this trip had two hotels I was zeroing in on. Portland, the Kimpton RiverPlace (because it had a nice 2br suite w K) and the Alexis in Seattle. There is also this cool place in Portland that used to be a school, but the reviews are just good, not great. In Seattle, I have been to the Four Seasons several times on business and while it is, of course, very nice, it didn't feel particularly unique or special. I have also stayed at the Alexis, which is a cute boutiquey hotel with more character IMHO. There were a few other boutique hotels I liked but none I had the right config for a family of 5 (which you guys are, too, IIRC). We will try to find an house or apt. I think, because I so prefer having a nice kitchen and full laundry. I also will make back up hotel reservations in case the Air bnb doesn't work out. That is usually workable in cities, but would not work in a place where hotels book solid in high season. BTW, I don't know if you are making a loop or picking up a car in the US and dropping it off in Canada. I recall someone saying you could not do that, iirc, but you can. Of course there are one-way drop off charges but you can do it.

Gooster, Yes, again, too much alpine scenery in one trip and the kids' eyes glaze over. I remember the same thing w my parents. Drove me crazy as a kid. Kids want to do things, not look at things (so much). Thanks for the neighborhood descriptions! Is parking difficult in downtown? I am toying between downtown and a house boat, but leaning toward the houseboat.

Oly, in re " Victoria Clipper from Seattle for a day trip," do you know how long the ferry ride is?

BLfenton, the night market sounds wonderful! As far as the LL area... I was all set on the Fairmont in LL, but then Annie had me looking at Lake Moraine, and I liked the smaller, more intimate Lake Moraine lodge. But that is in Banff, which you are giving a thumbs down. Do you know these two hotels. We like luxury but not usually enormous hotels like the Fairmont, so I am vacillating.

The one Vancouver air bnb place I liked was in Yaletown, a penthouse with fabulous harbor views. What part of the city would you think best?

Marlene, what is that?

• User
    8 years ago

I don't know Portland very well--I live in the 'burbs--but DH has been here since the 70s. He would not recommend staying in the Mississippi District with children. The West Hills is another nice area and the old homes in Laurelhurst. Dunthorpe and Lake Oswego are southern 'burbs. I believe there's a MAX line running into the city from the south. Most people use MAX for daytrips from the suburbs.

The Japanese Garden is best in springtime and fall when the Japanese maples are in full color. The Rose Garden would be spectacular in June. Pittock Mansion is nearby and has a postcard view of Mt. Hood.

Mt. St. Helens is about two hours north of Portland and the beach is about two hours west, so it's not doable in one day.

My favorite part of Portland is the PNW Indian exhibit at the Portland Art Museum. It takes up an entire upper floor and they have so many artifacts. It would be a good history/culture lesson for the rest of your trip further north.

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

Mtn, my kids are pre-teen girls. They've been to a couple of great history museums lately, so this didn't really compare, and they don't have any particular interest in Lewis and Clark. I think if your daughter did a Lewis and Clark project, she'd probably find it much more interesting than my girls did.

I think that Cannon Beach is your best bet to see the coast. IMO it's a great example of Oregon's rugged coastline and natural beauty. The beach is huge, clean, and majestic. The town is cute too; it's more upscale that the other beach towns. It's a day trip and close enough to Astoria that you could go to the beach, see Fort Clatsop, and stroll through Astoria in one (longish) day.

• User
    8 years ago

http://www.thehighlandslo.com/street-of-dreams

Depending when you're planning on being in Portland, keep in mind that the Rose Festival goes through June 12 (I think). It's going to be very busy around the downtown area, including the hotels. I'd come after the Festival (but I don't care for crowds).

I liked staying in downtown Portland (before I moved here) and stayed at The Heathman which is a lovely hotel.

The contemporary house does look like it is the area of Dunthorpe. With the caveat that I don't know exactly where it is located in Dunthorpe, out of the three I would stay in the contemporary.

Mayflowers I just saw your post. I live in one of the "burbs" you mentioned and have never used max. I don't even know where a max is. However, I can tell you where every good bakery is :-)

• sarahmakes6
    8 years ago

You mentioned a school in Portland that gets mixed reviews - I think you must be referencing Kennedy School, which is a McMenamin's property. McMenamin's is very Portland - they are brothers who take old properties and convert them to quirky, eclectic inns, bars and restaurants. Kennedy School was formerly an elementary school and guest rooms are former classrooms, still with chalkboards on the walls, etc. My husband and I stayed overnight once when they happened to be celebrating Tolkien's birthday - characters dressed up everywhere. We had a drink in the former detention room. :) If you're looking for luxury, you certainly won't find it with McMenamin's, but if you're looking for a very Portland vibe and a unique experience, you can't go wrong.

McMenamins

• blfenton
    8 years ago

I was going to suggest Yaletown but it sounded like you were looking at staying at houses and there are no houses in Yaletown. it's all condos. Yaletown is a complete redevelopment of an industrial/warehouse area on the edge of downtown. The redevelopment started in 1986 (actually probably 1984) when we had Expo 86 here which was located in and around Yaletown and the inner harbour near Yaletown. Expo86 put Vancouver on the international tourist map and real estate map and our real estate investment exploded after that and along with it the further development of Yaletown.

Yaletown is a very cool place, trendy, lots of restaurants, walkable to downtown as it's right on the edge, lots of cool furniture shops, lots of people watching. If you're driving make sure the condo comes with a parking spot as parking is always in short supply. Let me know what street and the hundred block that the condo is on and I can let you know more.

Re the Fairmont - if you've stayed in one you've stayed in them all. There is one downtown, in Whistler, etc. We don't stay in those kinds of hotels because we find them generic and uninteresting. I don't know the one in Banff.

I'm going to ask an impertinent question. Why are you coming to the PNW? Just because your kids haven't been here? Because honestly, unless you're interested in scenery and the hiking, and mountains with it's accompanying craters and glaciers there isn't a whole lot else. That's what defines this area (oh and the rain) and it is spectacular. . It's why people come here by the droves every year.

Having said all that - if you haven't done it in past trips - don't forget the Underground Seattle tour. It is very cool and my kids loved it.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, again, everyone.

BLFenton, Oh good, then this place is well located. I will have to ask the host the address. I'm a tad antsy as it's a new listing and has no reviews yet.

Yeah, people do seem to like the Fairmont hotel, but if I could find an equally well appointed but smaller property we'd prefer that. I never feel that those huge properties are truly luxurious, because they are just too crowded and noisy and less personal.

Oh, it's not impertinent! The kids have never been to the NW, nor has DH, and also we want to see LL and it seems like a good thing to combine. We have had a family goal to visit each continent, and see a sampling of countries within. Then we added in wanting to do a sampler trip to each of the 4 quadrants of the US. We are "done" all 7 continents, and 3 of the 4 quadrants, so Pacific NW is the last one on this list!

Moreover, I think that all of us would (esp at this age) really like the vibe of the cities of Portland and Seattle. We all are foodies and we also love interesting shops. We want to see the Columbia River Gorge, and the Oregon coast and Fort Clatsop. In re Seattle, both my DH and DS are avid pilots so the museum is a must, DS wants to see the space needle, the girls and I want to see Chihuly museum, and sleeping on a moored houseboat with a skyline view gets a big thumbs up from everyone. Vancouver, we are still working on an itinerary for. But overall, I see the LL part of our trip (the longest, at 5 nights and 6 days) as the time to schedule hiking, rafting, maybe some HBR and canoeing.

Sarah, Yes, that is the place. I always wanted to go there. I would forego luxury for something interesting, for sure. But I hesitated with that place, because, after going thru the reviews, I was worried it might be lacking in some basics I won't give up (eg problems w noise control and HVAC) and also got the sense it might be a better place for 20 somethings to hang vs a family.

Thanks, Marlene, good to know. The Heathman is a great hotel, but Id rather have laundry and kitchen.

Pretty, Oh great, Cannon Beach it is! The pictures are lovely!

Mayflowers, Thanks for the advice on where to stay. And the museum! We will def hit a few museums.

• Gooster
    8 years ago

@mtnredux -- parking in the core downtown Seattle is pretty easy, if not a bit expensive. There is also an unusual underground bus/light rail combo tunnel that is actually worthwhile seeing (the main stations are filled with public art and are themed to the neighborhood) -- it connects several tourist sites and is clean and safe. In certain neighborhoods, street parking can get tight. Most of the houseboats are in the South Lake Union area -- this will also get the views you are seeking. The general area has also been reinvigorated with the new businesses in the area, like Amazon. It's well located to most things you want to see. I do still suggest one of the short ferry rides, just to get the view back of the city skyline.

I do prefer that portion of the Oregon Coast, near Cannon Beach. Between Astoria and Klaloch the beaches are just wide and open and pretty flat and treeless. You get the big rocks and forests again starting at the Klaloch area in the strip of the Olympic National Park (and a great lodge). But it is well out of your way.

The Victoria Clipper is a high speed ferry that takes 2:45 to get from Seattle to Victoria. It's possible to do in a day, but it's a long, long day. Then again, I think any 2 hour drive is possible as a day trip, just a full day trip.

• Mimou-GW
    8 years ago

I live off the coast of Seattle. Just want to mention that June is usually still rainy. This summer has been an exception but normally it rains through the 4th of July. That won't ruin your trip but just something to be aware of.

• sableincal
    8 years ago

From our experience with the PacNW, Portland, and Seattle, a few more suggestions (you've already had so many excellent ones):

Portland - for anyone who is a reader - Powell's Book Store. This is one of the great book stores in the USA; untouched by Amazon, it offers an enormous selection spread over 3-5 floors, well-arranged, and just plain fun. I always go in intending to buy a magazine or two from their large collection and stagger out with an armload of great reads. They have a parking garage, so that is no problem, and are centrally located downtown. If the children are showing any signs of antsiness, this wouild be a good place to take them. We've seen many of the things Portland has to offer; Powell's is the place to which we always return. They have a nice coffeeshop, too, where you can sip lattes and wonder if you really need those five books you just had to have.

Seattle - the Salish Lodge, about 30-40 minutes east of downtown, a beautiful drive on a great highway through the Cascade foothills, thick with those famous PacNW forests. We were there just two weeks ago, and had the best brunch ever, wonderful food, perfect service. The Lodge has the feel of a rustic national park hotel, but is much more luxe, quiet, elegant. Set next to Snoqualmie Falls, of which there is a good view from a walkway. Of all the things we've seen and done in the Seattle area, this is the one we'll repeat from now on. The Salish Lodge. None of the websites for this place do it justice; this is the best one.

You asked what part of the coast is nicest between Portland and Seattle. If you drive straight up, you are far inland. To see the coast you would have to drive around the Olympic Peninsula, and once you turn north on the OP, you're a bit inland also, and must take little side trips to see the ocean. We made that trip a few years ago and enjoyed it, but we were meandering along and didn't have children with us. The one place the children might enjoy, if they are Twilight fans, is Forks, which has been reborn from a dying ex-lumber town, to a tourist destination. It still has a tiny-town atmosphere, though.

You are going to have a great trip. Just about everything mentioned on this thread is a yes-yes!

• olychick
    8 years ago

"but the area was just a tiny bit more bohemian that I'd like". I kind of laughed when I read this because so much of the charm of Seattle and Portland (and points in between) is pretty "alternative". Vancouver is more cosmopolitan.

You're getting some great suggestions. I'll make another - if you drive from Seattle to Vancouver, maybe plan a pit stop in Bow-Edison. It's a small town area in Skagit County that's been discovered by, well, the out of towners. Very popular biking and birdwatching area, but it's not far off the freeway and there are some great food choices. A couple of galleries (lots of artists in the area), It's funky and fun for a short stop to grab something from the bakery or Slough Food, which is a great word play on the Samish Slough that runs behind. Bow Edison

If you are still looking for places to stay in Seattle via airbnb, I'd skip Capitol Hill. There are some lovely parts and homes, but it's gotten a little rough around the edges. And talk about alternative....

I think someone mentioned the Underground Seattle Tour. And really, a walk on ferry ride to Bainbridge Island (for lunch maybe) is amazing. The views of the city are just spectacular and its a very short crossing, with great restaurants within walking distance of the ferry.

Between Portland and Seattle, should you need to stop to eat or.... there is a great authentic Mexican Restaurant in Centralia WA. La Tarasca, closed on Tuesday, cheap, clean, homemade everything, no chips and salsa or cheese smothered dishes. It's worth the stop, just off the freeway. Not much else to recommend in the area.

And if you are coming thru Olympia on a Thursday-Sunday, we have one of the very best Farmer's Markets on the west coast. Great little food booths for lunch, live music most days during lunch, not too much craft schlock. Thursdays are a little slim, but the other days rock. The state Capitol grounds are just off the freeway, as is the Market, and are beautiful.

Oh, and be sure to add the Chinese Gardens in Portland. Someone else mentioned it...I think it gets overlooked for the Japanese and Rose Gardens, but it's lovely.

• lana_roma
    8 years ago

"To us,staying somewhere beautiful and fun/interesting/different sets the
    tone for the entire stay. So I spend a lot of time on that aspect."

If you are interested in a quintessential Portland-style neighborhood, the real "Portlandia" areas are mostly on the East side. Most of the West side/SW Portland is very suburban in looks and feel. Nice and woodsy, but not very remarkable. Dunthorpe is in the city proper and not a suburb, but it does feel like a suburb and a very insular one.

This website lists Portland neighborhoods with maps: Portland Neighborhoods

Based on what you said, I would suggest:

- Arlington Heights in NW Portland. A beautiful and very upscale neighborhood right next to Rose Garden, Pittock Mansion and Japanese Garden. Stately old houses, winding roads, but not as insular as Dunthorpe;

- Nob Hill/ NW23rd & 21st Ave. This upscale neighborhood borders Arlington Heights but more of a residential/commercial mix. Lots of shops and eateries along 23rd and 21st Ave. A hip destination for a Friday night outing. 23rd Ave. is sometimes referred to as "Trendy-Third". Lots of characteristic Old Portland style houses. Heavy on "Portlandia" character. Many "Grimm" episodes were filmed there. Here's a website: http://nwpdxnobhill.com/

- In NE Portland I would consider Irvington and Laurelhurst. Beautiful old residential neighborhoods bordering lively commercial areas around E. Burnside, NE Sandy and Lloyd Center. Again, a good dose of "Portlandia";

- In SE Portland - Hawthorne, especially lovely Ladd's Addition. If I remember it correctly, "Portlandia" was filmed in Hawthorne along with locations downtown and in Laurelhurst area. This was one of the first inner SE neighborhoods to gentrify in the 90's. The area has retained some bohemian flair, but not too bohemian to offend the tastes of the upscale owners of the expensive homes. Also, Sellwood-Moreland is a pleasant old neighborhood, very walkable and family friendly with lots of shops and eateries. A more low-key version of Hawthorne or Nob Hill. Next to Sellwood-Moreland is Eastmoreland, a lovely upscale residential neighborhood.

Definitely do not stay in:

- North Portland (NoPo);

- Central Portland (Inner PDX). As a part of the urban revival campaign, Pearl District and Chinatown/Oldtown are touted as cool urban destinations with lots of upscale condo developments. But the transient infestation is worst in those neighborhoods. Several charities have been operating shelters there for many years. Every night crowds line up for a spot in the shelters. In the morning the homeless spread out to the adjoining areas including downtown;

- East Portland. It's mostly working class, lots of immigrants and low income folks. Can be quite dreary and drab in many places, strip malls, pawnshops and such. Same about Foster/Powell, Mt. Scott, Montavilla and Brentwood-Darlington - generally anything east of SE 52nd.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

We didn't do this, but I found this interesting....sounds like something I'd like to do in Vancouver, the tree top adventure...from Tauck: With its cornucopia of sea, farms and vineyards, Vancouver is an epicurean powerhouse in a lovely natural setting that has captured the attention of gourmands around the world. At the Capilano River, a breathtaking “treetop adventure” offers you a squirrel’s-eye view of the coastal rainforest in the treetop canopy along a footbridge network and the cliffwalk, a pedestrian walkway with a view of the valley formerly available only to rock climbers. Explore nature closer to the ground at Stanley Park and in the historic Gastown district, an up-and-coming foodie-magnet where you'll enjoy lunch on your own.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I know you like unusual places to stay...will you be anywhere near here?

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thx everyone. Only on my iPhone today so can't easily reply I detail yet, but I will.

• User
    8 years ago

I think lana said it all. The West Hills area I was thinking of is Arlington Heights. That might not technically be West Hills for all I know!

• blfenton
    8 years ago

What Annie quoted is talking about the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Tree Top Adventure in North Vancouver. It is easily reached from downtown by either bus or car and would take about 15-20 mins to get there. You drive through Stanley Park and over the Lions Gate Bridge...

• lana_roma
    8 years ago

Some serious decorating candy overload:

Irvington Home Photo Tours

There's a tradition of annual charity home tours in some upscale Portland neighborhoods. Eastmoreland does an annual Holiday Home Tour before Xmas to benefit the local elementary school. A couple of years ago I went to a fabulous garden tour in Dunthorpe. Irvington has gone further than most and put photos from past home tours online.

• salonva
    8 years ago

Re Portland; we have visited several times (our older daughter lives there) and the light rail is absolutely a wonderful way to get downtown and go from area to area( as long as it runs where you are heading). We have stayed in Irvington area, downtown, and City Center. They were all great. There is always parking downtown, but traffic is definitely a factor and travel time can really add up and not be fun sitting in it. We were so happy about the lightrail. I highly recommend when possible to use that- effortless!!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I forgot your DH and DS were pilots. If you have any interest at all in seeing the Spruce Goose, it is in McMinnville, just SW of Portland in wine country. It is part of the Evergreen air and space museum. If you and the girls didn't want to go, you could take a winery tour and enjoy lunch in the winery.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

OP, it is? I always thought it was next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Outside, yes, evergreen is on our list. Wasn't sure though if the waterpatk is for younger kids or not.

• User
    8 years ago

Annie, the Spruce Goose left LB about 20 years ago.

• User
    8 years ago

McMinnville is also a foodie town.

I don't know that I'd go out of my way for McMinnville or the aviation museum for a three day stay in Oregon. There really wasn't much at the museum, but we went soon after it opened and before the water park opened. I've refused to go back.

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

The water park has an area for little kids, and a small area for babies, but the rest is for older kids and adults. It has four water slides, a wave pool, small regular pool, whirlpool, and hot tub. And the ten commandments painted on the wall. It's a little weird, and expensive for the size.

It's good for a kid's birthday party, or if you want to kill time on a rainy day, but it's not great as far as water parks go.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Thanks, Marlene, I guess I am out of date...in so many ways!

• User
    8 years ago

Annie, I can so relate. I hadn't a clue that there was a water park near the Spruce Goose until I read about it here and I live within 45 minutes. :-)

Sableincal...thanks so much for mentioning Salish Lodge...yet another place I had not known about. I am thinking of going in October!

It constantly amazes me that I can live here for almost 15 years and yet I learn so much from these threads. The same goes for Los Angeles. Places have been mentioned that I had never heard of or been to. I think I need to leave my bubble! :-)

• olychick
    8 years ago

I just heard an interview with Maya Lin, the artist behind the Vietnam War Memorial in DC, talking about her latest project. I am linking it here - it is pretty amazing and with the Lewis and Clark connection, thought you (and/or your kids) might find it worth looking at for possibilities. The webpage is very complex about what she/they are doing, but fascinating to read. I'll link to the interview, too, in case anyone is interested, but will have to add it later, as it's not available online yet. Edited to add link to Maya Lin interview...it's good!
    new-maya-lin-art-installments-track-route-lewis-and-clark

Confluence project

• sableincal
    8 years ago

Marlene - I do hope you'll get to the Salish Lodge; it's a special place. I was looking at their Romance Concierge link just now. They have various Romantic Getaway packages, including one for "you and your dog"! I'll bet there is a dog-walker available if one wants to sleep in...

Am going to save this thread, as we go up to the PacNW about every ten months, to see family. There are some very fine suggestions here!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Salish Lodge...ah yes, Twin Peaks.