SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noteybecky

Hibiscus Leaves yellowing and falling off from bottom up

Becky
8 years ago

My Hibiscus was beautiful when I bought it-and it stayed beautiful for almost a month. After some heavy rain/cold weather, and then suddenly hot/dry weather, it's gotten sickly and not been producing blooms.

Now it's looking awfully bare, and still some of the new leaves are yellowing, along with bud drop. I've been trying to be good about the watering, and thought it might be getting over watered so I let it dry out a bit-and it looked much worse for it. I have given it fertilizer(MG bloom booster and MG miracid), and I've also sprayed with neem oil due to an outbreak of spider mites(I looked around and didn't see any signs of them, nor any other bugs). I've scraped on the branches here and there and it's still healthy and green underneath.

The roots don't seem too bad, although the ones under the plant at the bottom are darker then I'd like(but they aren't mushy). When I repotted it, I used what was left of my C&S MG mix(was half perlite).

Is there any saving it? Should I prune it? I've never owned a tropical hibiscus, so my knowledge here is a bit limited.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living