SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dd7990

New to Tillandsias, need advice/suggestions

dd7990
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm here hoping to get some feedback/advice/suggestions regarding the current care of my newly acquired Tillandsias. So far, I've had a group of them (Bulbosa, Ionantha Fuego, Velutina, Tenuifolia, Fuchsii) for about two weeks; and a Mini Bulbosa Guatemala, Caput Medusae Purple, and Tectorum for a few days (newest additions to my collection). They seem to be doing ok thus far and I just want to be sure I'm giving them decent care.

When I first got them from shipping (4-5 days in shipment) I soaked the new arrivals in de-clorinated (left to stand 1-2 nights) tap water for about 1hr (during afternoon), then allowed them to air-dry upsidedown on a clean cotton washcloth for 1-2 hours until the bases felt dry to the touch before putting them in their respective gravel pots / open-sided terrarrium. In general, I misted (leaves partly to fully moistened, but not dripping/soaking wet) every OTHER day in afternoon, keeping them in bright shaded sunlight on south-facing window for a few hours when misted, until dry. On Sundays, I let them soak for about 1 hr in new de-chlorinated tap water in afternoon, and air-dry upsidedown on clean cotton washcloth until the bases feel dry. For the Tectorum, I am aware that it needs less water/more light than the others, so I only soaked it the one time with the 2 other new arrivals and have not really watered/misted it since that time. (Am I over-watering all of them?)
Generally I keep the tillandsias on a shelf above my desk, which I am hoping they get enough light from all the windows the room has from East, West and South (see attached picture for approximate floor-plan). The room is about 30ft long, and about 12ft wide, but is surrounded nearly on all sides by the 6 windows facing East, South, & West respectively (large windows West and East, 4 smaller windows South-side), which I believe allows sufficient light throughout the entire room (and my mother keeps LOTS of flourishing plants in the room as well). Humidity ranges from 40% - 50%, and daytime temperature ranges 75 F - 85 F (night time probably around 60 F - 65 F).

I am also getting a T. Butzii at some point to add to my recent collection, but I hear they're a bit tricky/picky?

IF anyone could give me more details on specific care for each species of tillandsia I have, and/or any critique/suggestion/advice/thoughts regarding the methods I'm currently using to taking care of them, I would really appreciate it!

I'd like to know for each species the lighting level requirements (low/med/high), and watering amount/frequency requirements as based on 40-50% home humidity.
So far I have:
- T. Bulbosa - T. Ionantha Fuego - T. Velutina - T. Tenuifolia - T. Fuchsii - T. Bulbosa Guatemala (Mini) - T. Caput Medusae Purple - T. Tectorum -
**And looking to add: -T. Butzii-

Room approx. 30ft long x 12ft wide
Ocean-theme terrarium (Tenuifolia, Mini Bulbosa Guatemala, Velutina, Ionantha Fuego, & Fuchsii) with glass gravel
Caput Medusae Purple & Bulbosa, I want to add a Butzii to be with them.
Tectorum <3 fuzzy

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions