SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weirdcatlady

Take me to school on shower construction . . .

MizLizzie
8 years ago

First issue -- Curbless? Tile? Shower pan? Hot mopping? (Is that even a thing?)

Having recently finished a kitchen & powder room demo, followed by a major laundry demo and a guest bath refresh, I have learned A LOT -- some of it the hard way. (Would prefer not to do that again.) In early 2016, we will gut our master bath, taking it to the studs, but no change in placement. My husband is hands-off, and leaves this sort of thing to me. I feel pretty confident on most of it. But I really don't understand shower construction. To start me out, can someone point out a website that will give me a really good tutorial on the best form of shower construction? I have already visited the NKBA, but they don't have anything in depth.

And more specifically, how do you decide what the bottom of your shower should look like? Isn't a good old Kohler shower pan the safest option? Are they just horribly dated? Right now we have plain 4 x 4 white porcelain tile with quite a curb. Nonetheless, it has served us pretty well, but is nearly 20 years old with several hairline cracks. We can't just remove that tile and lay more tile, right? And I would like to have curbless, if we can do it, so that we can age in place. Our master bath, 12x8, is upstairs, but we plan to install a stair glide if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)