SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janett_gw

opposed to required swimming / showers in School PE

JanetT
18 years ago

My daughter's Dearborn, Michigan elementary school completed construction of a new gym / indoor swimming pool this summer. Consequently, swimming is being taught as part of PE now. This part I think is great, as it's a really nice pool & program. However, my objection is that the girl's showers were built without any privacy partitions and students have to shower after swimming lessons. I asked my daughter's new 4th grade teacher to excuse her from swimming, but I was shocked that the teacher say's it's school policy and she can't approve a blanket excuse!

I told her that, because of the privacy issue, the school policy wasn't legal unless they allowed excuses when parents requested. My teacher said that this didn't apply for this magnet school as I could easily send my daughter to any 20 public elementary schools in Dearborn. If parent's don't like one public school's policy all they have to do is find a public school which they prefer. And with public school choice, this is a lot easier than moving to a new school district (Michigan has state-wide public school choice).

I really like this school otherwise and don't want to have to send my daughter to a different school over this one issue. I think Public school choice is becoming more and more common. Can school's really use public school choice as an excuse to not change unfair school policies?

- Janet

PS Also on another topic...why can't we have real school choice instead of just the so-called public school choice.

Comments (66)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting