SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Does this sound like an expensive repair?

Alisande
8 years ago

I have a 92 Chevy Caprice Classic that I've been driving for 19 years. I drive it about 8 months out of the year. In winter it's parked under cover, but the rest of the time it's in my driveway or parked under a tree.

A month ago I took it to the mechanic to be inspected and have an ABS sensor replaced. It turned to need new brake pads as well. When I drove it home, the climate control was acting strangely. "Vent," which normally brings in air from the outside, now produced air conditioning. And the fan, which is controlled by a separate switch, didn't turn off when I turned off the A/C-Vent-Heat switch. It normally does.

Plus an awful smell was coming out of the system. To me it smelled like moldy tobacco. (No one has ever smoked in the car.)

So I took it back to the mechanic. He said nothing he did in the previous repair would have impacted the climate control. He looked at it and said debris from the tree had gotten into the area by the windshield wipers and clogged up the A/C drain, and that's what I'd been smelling. He cleaned it out and left the panel off it so that it could dry out.

He said he'd put the panel back on in a week. It's past a week now, but I still smell the smell and the other problems haven't changed. Also, the engine sounds like the A/C is on all the time, even when it's turned off. It makes that cycling sound, if you know what mean. That doesn't seem like a good thing.

I love this car (I really love this car!), but I'm on a fixed income and don't have much of a budget for car repairs. It's been amazingly free of trouble all these years, but does this repair sound like something that's going to make up for that?

Here's my car's "glamour shot." :-)

Comment

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths