SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xuexchong

My Old House Entry Door

First home
8 years ago

Folks

This has been the most challenging part of our remodeling for a house we just bought in NYC. The front entry door faces south-east. We've not owned a home before so sorry about the basic questions. The rough opening is 42x86. We have multiple options to consider. If you folks can comment on each option, that'll be most appreciated!

1) A home depot guy suggested we cut the frame to square and use a standard 36x80 door since it'll always be cheaper to replace in the future. My thinking is that if we have to move something big in the future, then a bigger door would help and look at it as a plus to the house

2) Looking at the house pic, do you think both a curved door and a square door would like good or does curved suit the look of the house?

3) One option is to have our contractor fix up the door and replace the middle rectangular portion that's been most affected. I'm hoping we only have to refinish it once every 2 years and not much more often

4) Another option would be to use a company like Pella which has 42x80 rectangular doors so we can put a panel or molding to cover it up on the top

We are quite confused and any advice will help!

Thanks

R:\rs\Dropbox\Home\Pics\Door\Current door

Comments (59)