SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lplantagenet

Gloire de Dijon

lplantagenet7AVA
8 years ago

How many grow this rose and how well does it do? I was told some years ago that a grafted plant would be more vigorous. Mine hasn't done well, although part of the problem is its location in the garden.

I have tried once or twice without success to propagate it, but last fall, near the end of the propagation season, I noticed a small shoot that I felt sure would strike roots. I have that feeling only rarely, but it's usually right, so I took my cutting and almost from the start I could see that it would grow. (And last winter, I had plenty of strikeouts, too.)

Anyhow, the young Gloire de Dijon is blooming for the second time now--one bud the first time, two this time--but shows no inclination to climb. If I didn't know what I was, I would say it was a young shrub. By contrast, Jaune Desprez, also rooted last winter, has not bloomed and is growing a long cane, and the Hickory Hill Noisette, which bloomed once, is doing the same.

I prefer shrubs, especially when one has to worry about RRD, so I'd be very if Gloire de Dijon never climbed, but what should I expect from it over the next season or two?

Lindsey

Comments (121)