SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Thailand?....Vietnam?....China?....Looking at fish labeling

Alisande
8 years ago

I'm in the habit of avoiding frozen fish from China, but today I bought some ahi tuna steaks, product of Vietnam, and wondered if that's any better. I hope so. Any thoughts?

I also bought some wild-caught Gulf shrimp (product of U.S.A.--yay!). They're not large, but they were very reasonably priced.

It never occurred to me that canned tuna might come from China, but I read those labels today as well. To my surprise, the can of Bumble Bee tuna I picked up said it was a product of China. I think it was chunk light, but I'm not sure. (I didn't take it home.)

I use chunk light, chunk light, and solid white. Walmart's Great Value brand in both solid white and chunk light are from Thailand. I have some StarKist chunk white at home, and don't see anything about the source on the label; nor does it appear on their website.

I also like canned salmon, which is all wild caught (unlike fresh or frozen, which could be farm raised). The large (approx. 15 oz.) cans all seem to contain Alaskan salmon, but the 5-oz. cans (skinless/boneless) vary. Chicken of the Sea is from Thailand. It doesn't say wild caught, but the website says all their canned salmon is wild caught.

My can of Bumble Bee pink salmon doesn't list the country of origin, but their website calls it "Alaska Wild." My can (purchased today) says "Premium Wild." It costs about 20% more than Chicken of the Sea.

I don't have any of my favorite, Rubinstein's Red Salmon, in the house, so I can't check the label. It's more expensive, but so good.

Comments (25)