SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenlaker7

Stripping Wallpaper advice

greenlaker7
8 years ago

I'm trying to remove painted over wallpaper from a 110 year old house. It's even on the ceiling.

I thought the walls were lath and plaster- that's what the previous owner told me anyway. Now I'm not so sure- it's not what I expected which was nice hard white plaster.

I'm steaming it off and scraping with a 4 inch razor. I have about 3 layers of paint sandwiched around a couple layers of wallpaper, and then I seem to hit a brown grainy sandy layer which I think is as far as I should go- or am I going to far? There are also red stains on this layer. Any deeper and I'm in gouge territory.

Here's a shot of some of the damage so far- the red/maroon paint is the top layer, and the red splotches are the 'stains' on the brown layer.

Here's a crack closeup- this makes me think it's plaster and you can see what happened when I go below the brown layer- it's grey and flaky. The red splotches are still a mystery -

Here's a nail hole I slightly enlarged- seems like a lath back there, but the 'plaster' is very brittle and not particularly thick.

Here's a section showing all the layers- the lightest blue is pretty smooth, and that is the last thing above the rough brown layer.

I'm guessing there was never a finish coat of plaster at all- unless this is just really old drywall. I just want to confirm that taking this down to the brown layer is the way to go- I'm afraid the last light blue layer is ancient drywall paper or something.

I'm assuming that I'll have to completely skim coat them after this. It's actually not coming up too bad but it's not what I expected at all so I stopped for the night. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Comments (13)