SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ack150

Creating own mosaic using 1" Hex Tiles

Anne CK
8 years ago

Ok, so I want a large scale graphic pattern on my floor, and unfortunately, what I feel in love with has a price that I just can't imagine spending to walk on. I mean, I would install the floors (Walker-Zanger), and then just stay in my bedroom and admire them forever.

So instead, I am toying with the idea of creating my own large scale graphic pattern out of sheets of 1" hex tile in grey and white. My GC has only requested that I not get so nitty with the pattern that his guy is laying single 1" tiles (darn, because for a second I got lost in the world of antique mosaic floors and nearly lost my head!). So, I have printed hex graph paper, and mocked up a pattern, which I will repeat on a smaller scale graph paper so that I can see the repeat. I have basically created a pattern that is a nested hex, with the center being a grey hex made out of hex tiles, three rows surrounding that of white hex, then another 3 rows of grey hex.

So, my question is this - I have space in my bedroom to lay out the floor entirely (the bathroom is 9x11, and a rectangle, is it merely a matter of cutting the sheets of tile to the shapes that I want, and then laying it out? I assume the tile guy will use spaces between the separate shapes (I will be home to monitor this). Am I missing anything in this?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm