SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglemom12

Pine Needles as Mulch?

beaglemom12
8 years ago

I live in South Coast MA, and I'm considering my options for mulch on my property. I haven't seen many people in my area using pine needles as mulch, and I believe the most commonly used mulch in my area is hardwood mulch (the kind in big bags you always see at Lowes and Home Depot). However, this seems to be the least economical option, as it needs to be replaced and/or added to every single year, and fades drastically before the season is even over, no matter what brand I try. I also can't use hardwood mulch in my backyard because my dogs will chew on it. I need something that's low maintenance, that my dogs won't chew on, and that stays looking nice for longer than a couple of months, but is also economical (we are not wealthy by any means - money is tight).

I have considered river rocks, but they are very expensive and also difficult to maneuver around if I decide I want want more plantings. I would also have to buy weed-blocking material to put under it unless I want hundreds of weeds popping through my expensive river rocks, and the weed-blocking material in addition to the river rocks, also adds up to money we don't have.

One concern I have about pine needle mulch is that I've read that rodents like to burrow in it. This being a colder climate for the majority of the year, I worry that rodents will become a problem. Now, I'm a vegetarian and animal lover and am against setting bait traps, so I don't want to attract rodents to my yard and then hurt them or disturb their habitat. Does anyone who uses pine needles as mulch ever have a rodent problem? I also read that it only happens if the pine needles are more than 3 inches deep, so if I keep just a thin layer, would that be okay?

I've also read that pine needles are great for acid loving plants, but does that mean they hurt plants that are not acid loving?

Comments (12)