SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bre_ross

Tried to start a garden, hasn't gone well so far

Brendan Ross
8 years ago

I started by planting a bunch of seeds indoors and then transplanting them to a section of my yard that I weeded and aerated the soil once the seedlings were a couple inches high.

My first problem was the rapid growth of clovers that took over my garden. Within a couple days, it looked like I was ready to cover the fields of Ireland with clovers. I then put up a fence (about a foot tall) in an effort to prevent animals from eating my plants. I also put one of those cylindrical ladders around my tomato plant.

After my tomato plant was a couple feet tall, some animal must have gotten over the fence and ate about half the plant, probably a deer. Some other critters have managed to outright dig up whole plants. There are holes in the ground all around my vegetable garden, so the little buggers must have just decided to dig UNDER the fence since they couldn't get over the top.

Now all I have left is half of a tomato plant, some massive squash type plant which has frequently has 20 or more flies on the leaves, and a few herbs surrounded by weeds, although I'm not sure which are the herbs and which are the weeds.

What am I doing wrong, and does anyone have any tips? I've been a vegetarian for about 10 years now and was really excited to start growing my own vegetables, but this little experiment hasn't gone too well.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus