SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamannan_sc8b

Paulownia tomentosa - Empress Tree

adamannan_sc8b
8 years ago

Hi, a client is after this Empress Tree, and she is pretty particular. I can't find them commercially anywhere. She also wants a Mimosa, but I might just dig that one out of the woods :)

I'm located in Charleston, SC, Zone 8B, location of the tree will be full sun. Not familiar with this tree, and have read it to be invasive, so this could already be a problem for the location (Retirement community with landscape approval Nazi's).

So, I'm taking a shot in the dark here looking for a commercial grower of said tree, or an OK substitute. She loves the spring flowering potential of this tree, and the fact that it is a fast grower.

Other common spring flowering trees do not excel in this particular neighborhood, (heavy soil, blistering hot sun, etc), so things like Cherries and Redbuds are out, not only because of their smallish size potential but also livability. I also would like to stay away from a Pear, but I understand the tree in question is probably fairly similar in nature.

I'm open to suggestions! She is a stubborn older lady but such a sweetheart, so I really don't want to disappoint her.

Best,

Adam

Comments (10)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm