SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snaveyram

How to sterilize topsoil existing lawn?

snaveyram
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

When I was moving in to share a house 2 years ago, the back lawn was all Blue Star Creepers, lovely tiny blue flowers groundcover with tiny green leaves. It had been planted shortly before I moved in and looked like a carpet from heaven. Then my housemate/landlord forgot to water it and fried a lot of the B.S. creepers and weeds took over. He had used unsterilized topsoil and we figure it was infested with weed seeds.

Last year I worked at restoring what whas left of the B.S. Creepers (housemate works out of state, so I do all the gardening when he's gone) to no avail; weeds abounded. This year, all but some patches of the B.S Creepers died went when I went out of town for a few days. My housemate decided to let the back lawn go dry like the front one does every year. There are just a few patches of the creepers left that are being overtaken by clover (but I'm still watering the patches) and the rest of the lawn is yellow straw.

I am thinking of removing what's left of the B.S creepers from the yard and potting them in sterilized soil. Then using a flame thrower on the entire back yard to sterilize the soil, then replanting the creepers and hoping they will spread.

Does anyone know if using a flame thrower will WORK to sterilize the bad topsoil underneath the dried out lawn? I've put way too much time in on this, but miss the beautiful lawn so much. Thanks for any information or suggestions!

Comments (14)