SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greasetrap_gw

What to do with a useless cabinet

greasetrap
8 years ago

My kitchen cabinets were just recently installed and there's one that really didn't come out as expected. Here are photos:

We had always known that this was going to be a small cabinet, but not quite this small. For some reason I had thought the cabinet was going to be 11" wide (I just looked at the drawing and all it says is BFH1), but it's actually less than 7" with maybe 5" of usable interior space. The big problem though, is that, with the inset door, the opening is only about 3" wide, meaning I have to turn my hand sideways to get it through.

My wife is quite upset and said open shelves would have been a lot more useful than this cabinet. I tend to agree with her, but I suspect it's too late to make any changes, as the counters are scheduled to be installed either tomorrow or the next day.

We're using a GC who specializes in kitchen renovations and he did the layout as well. I don't think he actually holds himself out to be an actual KD though. In some respects this arrangement has worked out very well, as he has coordinated all of the work down to the most minute detail and he's actually a few days ahead of schedule. But on the other hand, I sometimes regret that we didn't use a separate KD, as this guy didn't given us a lot of handholding when it came to color or tile/countertop selection, etc. He gave us elevations showing what everything would look like, but didn't spend much time going through the different cabinets and discussing how they might be used.

So my first question is whether we should be upset with our GC for not pointing out to us the disadvantages of this cabinet & offering alternatives? My second question is could anyone suggest possible uses for the cabinet? I had thought that maybe we could take out the shelves and use it for secondary baking sheet storage, but we already have more than enough space for that over the ovens.

I'd appreciate any feedback that others may have.

Comments (59)

• User
    8 years ago

Oak Hills · More Info

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Kid art storage?

• Related Discussions

Backsplash, desk update, useless shelves questions

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks for all of the replies! I agree that waiting on the backsplash is probably advisable. I just received some sample tiles and was really liking the lightest one but have to see how the cabinets look painted. Perhaps we'll demo the current backsplash and have it prepped for the new before painting so as not to cause more mess after we have newly finished cabinets. Lots of response on the desk and yet I'm most struggling with the window shelves. Perhaps I can start a dedicated thread to those. I had one a while back but it was without the option to remove the backsplash. However, I cannot find that thread through search now? I love the turned desk idea but do not want to add more wall as that wall was all just redone and opened up to create site lines to the TV and family room. I do like enclosing the desk top space to hide the clutter. We entertained on Christmas, the first time entertaining since re-doing the half wall in the family room and having the enlarged island. I ended up setting up a long thin table in front of the half wall for food and used the desk for desserts. It worked really well as a buffet and left the island open for seating. If I enclose the desk, I could lose that option. I think closing the knee hole area with something is a definite. I usually don't struggle so much with design decisions yet this kitchen has dragged on for what seems like forever. We are moving at a snails pace and I still can't find a solution that I love and feel confident in for any of my trouble areas. It makes me hesitant to spend any money for 'fixes' when I'm worried I'll feel like I just want to demo and start from scratch in a few years. Even doing that, I'm not sure I'd change the layout all that much.
    ...See More

"Do Not Call" virtually useless

Q

Comments (14)
    We have a landline as well and every day we get several no-message calls. We always screen our calls because of that. I understand there's a scam where all they're trying to do is find out if yours is a legit ph. number, so they just need someone to pick up. Beware of calls that try to make you pick up out of curiosity. Hubby says he's heard a few w/ someone saying "Hello?... Hello?". They can be phishing or scammers. I always decline or ignore unknown numbers on my mobile phone. Here are some links to pages about phone scams... https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0076-phone-scams https://www.komando.com/tips/398001/5-dangerous-phone-scams-that-are-spreading-now/all
    ...See More

Houzz search results are useless sometimes

Q

Comments (11)
    Agree, the search feature is ineffective. I think that is contributing to why the posts /threads seem so haphazard and random and redundant. In the old days, you could really put in a term in the search feature which would work to return threads from even years ago (and certainly weeks or months ago) and you could bring them back to life. Now not at all so the value of the forums has really declined. I too wish the search feature could work. It's not you.
    ...See More

HELP! dark useless space

Q

Comments (10)
    If you are going to do shelves as a replacement: tear it all out, then build it out before putting in a new set of shelves. It’s way too deep. It doesn’t have to be fancy, it will be hidden. If you don’t want shelves have it built out as just a wall slightly recessed and put a plant there.
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    8 years ago

Foil and plastic wrap? Other things on rolls? Or take out the shelves for tray storage

• Fori
    8 years ago

If you can barely get your hand in it, it really does have to pull out. Or barbecue tools and skewers--long stupid items that you can grab just the tip of.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Agreed. Remove the door and shelf use it for cutting boards, cookie sheets, etc.

My mom has a narrow cab like that, I'll see if I can snap a pic tomorrow.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What the heck??!

That's just a really bad design. I don't think it's wide enough to be able to grab sheet pans. You have to have room to wiggle and get your fingers in there. And then you've got those hinges!

I agree the only thing is rolls of foil etc., and shoot the designer.

• greasetrap
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Would it be possible to retrofit the door so that it acts as a pullout? My wife agrees with SJHockeyFan that we should just shut it and forget it. I'd like to find some useful purpose for it though. The thing that annoys me is that open shelves probably would have been significantly cheaper & more useful.

We already have a 31" cabinet over the ovens for baking sheets & cutting boards, which should be more than enough space for those items. A step stool sounds like an interesting idea, but I'm not sure one would fit through a 3" opening. I'll try to measure one at the store (we currently use a chair for this). If a pull-out can't be retrofitted, then I think foil/plastic wrap/barbeque tools/rolling pins, etc all make sense.

Nightowl, there's a lot of wasted space like that to the right of the cabinet. The cabinets go around a bay window, so there's several corners like that. My GC didn't think it was worth the extra cost to get true custom cabinetry that would fill in all of those odd spaces. He also said that even if we did go for true custom sizes, that the additional space wouldn't be particularly useful.

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

I had a 5" space on the left of my sink base. The KD tried to get me to put a pullout or something that might work. My sink base is bumped out 3" just for a detail look. I just said, put a 5" filler in there, by the bump out it won't be that noticeable and it's not since the side of the sink is flat and plain anyway.

Edited to add, just leave it and don't use it.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I think this step stool folds flat enough but it probably will not fit all inside--I'm assuming you have 24 inch deep cabinets? I can't think of another step stool that folds this flat.

• Kitch4me
    8 years ago

This is from crate and barrel...

• User
    8 years ago

This is the spot we had made for the ladder .... very slim. I think you would want the two step ladder hiding spot

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Did you ask the GC what HE thought it would be good for?

HE was the one who designed, approved and installed it.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I think these guys might be tired of the train station locker.

• practigal
    8 years ago

If you can customize it I would ditch the cabinet portion and permanently attach the door to the frame and put the frame on a hinge so that you end up with the entire (strange) space and the correct front...

• mshahmd
    8 years ago

make it a pullout:

Just an example, pretty easy DIY

http://www.build.com/rev-a-shelf-432-wf39-3c/s207526

• jailcrowofmandos
    8 years ago

I have one "useless" cabinet like that. I took out the (even more useless) shelves and started storing our three pizza peels in it. Worked out perfectly!

• cluelessincolorado
    8 years ago

Take off the hinges, turn door into drawer front for a pullout.

• greasetrap
    Original Author
    8 years ago

One thing I forgot to add is that the cabinet is only 12" deep, so there's really only about 10" of usable space inside. I just checked and it's not quite deep enough for plastic wrap and certainly not deep enough for barbeque tools. It might work with sandwich bags and things like that, but we normally like to keep those with the plastic wrap & aluminum foil.

I met with the contractor this morning and he said that he could make it into a pullout, but wouldn't recommend it. His logic is that a 3" wide by 10" deep pullout wouldn't be particularly useful. I should add that the cooking area is on the opposite side of the kitchen, so this wouldn't be a natural spot for oil or spices.

One other option he mentioned would be to take the door off completely and stain the inside to match the wood on the outside. This would give you a bit more room to get your hand in it. I asked about cutting off the wood between the door and the inside wall of the cabinet to make it into a true shelf, but he was a bit hesitant about that. I guess I would be too, since there would be no going back once that was done.

I guess I'm starting to lean towards the "shut it and forget it" approach, but would be interested to hear what others think.

• scrappy25
    8 years ago

I don't like wasted space (hence my cutting board opening posted above which they initially wanted to cover up with filler.

You can always put your favorite cook books there for easy access after taking off the door. That would be the easiest solution.

• silken1
    8 years ago

I think shut it and forget it. That way it matches and is closed to dust and dirt. I think getting anything in and out of that would just annoy and remind me about it and make me angry every time I used it. Since it isn't very big, I guess it isn't too much of a loss. That's how I would try and deal with it.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

You could only fit one cookbook!

greasetrap, I have a 6" space between my dishwasher and my sink. My cabinets are frameless. Initially, I planned on putting in a pullout for some purpose, but basically I determined that the pullout would be about 3" wide before you're done (taking all the hardware into account), and it would be a lot of money for something pretty much useless). I ended up using that space for a telescoping towel rack (often unused - while I'd like to use it, we tend to throw the towels under the sink, which is right next to that cabinet) and cutting boards. But that's 6" -- I think 3" of useable space isn't useable at all, so I still vote for close it and forget about it, unless you really, truly need the space.

• michoumonster
    8 years ago

i would do a small pullout. it is good for vitamins/pills, or tea or spices.

• greasetrap
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree that close it and forget it makes the most sense. I flirted with the idea of using it replace the junk drawer I had in the old kitchen, but I think it would be too hard to find anything in there. I also thought about giving it to our 5 year-old to put all of her little treasures in, but my wife vetoed that idea as well (she doesn't want here constantly running into the kitchen to retrieve items stored in there).

One other question: because the door is so small but has a standard hinge, it's kind of difficult to open (because a bigger door gives you more leverage when opening). So for those rare occasions when I might actually open the door, I don't think that a knob placed in the traditional upper corner spot would work very well. So we're thinking that a knob or (preferably) a handle placed along the outside edge midway between the 2 hinges would make it a bit easier to open. Here are photos:

Do you think putting a handle here would draw too much attention to this odd little cabinet? I'm not that concerned about it not matching the hardware configuration of the other cabinets, as we've already decided to put a handle on the trash bin pullout as well.

At the end of the day, I can't be too upset about this. The contractor probably should have drawn my attention to this spot before the cabinets were ordered, and we possibly could have saved some money either by covering over the space or by just putting in shelves. But he was trying to get as much functionality out of the other cabinets as possible, which left him with this odd little space to fill in. I'm starting to think of it as a bit of wasted money rather than a major screw-up that affects the functionality of the kitchen.

• greasetrap
    Original Author
    8 years ago

By the way, I also asked the contractor why he changed this from the original design. The issue is that the cabinet next to it is a full 24" deep, while the small cabinet is only 12". When reviewing the final production drawings, he decided that he could give us more functional space by making the 24" cabinet a bit bigger, at the expense of the 12" cabinet, which would become smaller. He apparently forgot that we had the inset doors, which just compounded the problem with the small cabinet.

• anitamo
    8 years ago

It's unfortunate that you're basically left with an expensive filler. As is, you can't use this cabinet, but maybe the GC can get an overlay door? It won't match the inset style, but will be allowed access to the inside. Curious to see the rest of the kitchen and how this cabinet relates overall.

• greasetrap
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anitamo, here is a (slightly blurry) overall view of the kitchen at the moment:

The small cabinet is behind the fridge enclosure on the left. There's a lot of wasted space in the corners where the cabinets go around the bay window. The cabinets are from Candlelight Cabinetry which I understand is among the group of higher-end, semi-custom cabinet makers. I had asked the contractor about getting true custom cabinets to fill in all of the unused space, and he said that it would be a lot more money to gain access to space that isn't really useable. Since we're already well into six figures for this job alone, with additional projects scheduled as well, I dropped that idea.

In retrospect, it might have made sense to get everything done in an overlay, but I thought that inset would give the kitchen more of a custom look. I think changing just that one door to an overlay would only draw attention to it.

8 years ago

On the bright side, at 10" deep you won't lose things in the back. I tend to think (based on regrettable experience) that junk expands to fill all voids, so this won't be unused for long. Pads of paper, boxes of envelopes, plastic bags awaiting recycling or reuse, overflow from Costco runs, extra extension cords, squirt gun arsenal . . . there should be lots of uses for that unique space.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

I think I would center the knob or pull to make it look like a planned pullout, even though it's not. It doesn't look odd to me until you open it. The door is so skinny that with the knob on the side, I feel it draws attention to it looking like a mistake instead. Kwim? Well, on a positive note the cabinets themselves are stunning. As is the whole kitchen with that bay window! Hello?!!

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I'd be shoving my five year old's endless "art" into it and recycling when she wasn't around to notice. Lol.

• anitamo
    8 years ago

It's beautiful! It's big too, with a lot of storage space, so losing that corner cabinet doesn't seem to be a loss, but for the money you've spent, it would be a minor irritation to me. Hopefully, down the line you'll figure out a use for it.

• lookintomyeyes83
    8 years ago

I'd make that the random plastic shopping bag drawer, and then forget about it.

it does suck that happened to you though.

• greasetrap
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. Plastic shopping bags are a good idea, and I'm sure lots of random junk will eventually find it's way in there. After reading the horror stories here from people whose renovations have been dragging on for months, it's kind of hard for me to be upset with the contractor. He's kept things on track and has attended to lots of small details that I hadn't even thought of. Here's what the space looked like just 3 weeks ago:

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Beautiful remodel. Love the cabinets and the windows! Oh, those windows. Yeah, shopping bags and kid's art, pull in the center, and call it good. And enjoy the rest of your lovely kitchen!

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Good thing you don't live in San Francisco (or a lot of other California cities) - plastic shopping bags are banned here.

• practigal
    8 years ago

If you are going to shut it and forget it, why are you putting a handle on it at all?

• User
    8 years ago

Super nice. Wow. Beautiful.

• Jancy
    8 years ago

Beautiful kitchen - I wouldn't worry about it at all. It looks very nice. Plastic bags, paper bags would be great, keys, iPhones, iPads, chargers, small tools, small cutting boards. Sooner or later you'll find something that'll fit.

• stolenidentity
    8 years ago

I would lose the door and use the space as the tray storage others already suggested. Other considerations, put a drawer at the top when the door is removed, for pencils, tooth picks, junk. And last, have the door tilt out rather than be on hinges so the inside is more accessible.

• lawjedi
    8 years ago

I don't know. It's the inset door that's killing it. I actually purposely have a tall skinny cabinet - it's a frameless 6"... I used it to support part of my raised tier on the island instead of a pony wall. I store wraps on one shelf, bbq tools on another and a large cutting board on the bottom. I also ran into the "it's harder to open" problem. I kept the placement the same, but instead of the planned knob, I picked up another handle. In your situation, I think I'd just remove the door and use open storage.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

sjhockeyfan, yeah, but it might be good for storing those reusable bags that stuff into their own little attached bags.

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

Late to the party but I have a 3" pullout as a result of a measuring error (not mine!) I didn't want a filler so I had the pullout put there and it's proved surprisingly useful. I keep all my extracts and food colors in there. Spice jars fit as do slim oil and vinegar bottles. In your case maybe one of those pull out towel bars would be handy.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

They make filler pullouts that should fit that space. Shouldn't be hard to remove the hinges and attach the door to a pullout assembly.

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

I remember one creative idea on the bathroom forum. She used a pull out filler to hang jewelry. I don't think it had a handle but push to open. Someone makes a pull out designed to hang things such as pots and pans but another possible idea.

Beautiful kitchen so far except for this bump along the way.

I just found it- or a similar one. Pull out jewelry cabinet.

• ci_lantro
    8 years ago

I would lose the door and get the face frame replaced with a face frame that is flush to the inside of the cabinet and use it as open storage. Maybe.

But since the cabinet is only 10" deep, it's useless for storing a step ladder, roll wraps, cookie sheets, rolling pins or most cutting boards.

I don't think there is much use in pursuing the pull-out idea as the rails on the pullout shelves are going to cause you to lose even more shelf width and add even more expense for negligible gain.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Someone makes a pull out designed to hang things such as pots and pans

The problem here is the width and depth of the cabinet won't allow for much.

Now that I know it's only 10" deep, I reiterate my opinion - close it and forget about it. It looks like you have plenty of storage, so it's not like you NEED this space.

• Kimberly N
    8 years ago

I'd make it a small stash of emergency supplies. Candles, flashlight, batteries, etc. Or storage for warranties/instruction booklets. Or if you have seasonal kitchen decorations ... could take out the shelves and make it a spot for placemats. Maybe a tiny music system. Something will come up that will let you feel clever for having such a tidy little space for organization.

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

I agree with everything rebunky said. Make it look like an intentional quirky spot.

• tuesday_2008
    8 years ago

First of all, enjoy your new kitchen - it is beautiful; this is just a tiny little problem. it will be fine if you leave as is and never put anything in there. Having just gone through some terrible storms with potential for power outages, I would suggest store one good flashlight and perhaps one or two small ones for family members and several good pillar candles along with a lighter. Even if you have numerous emergency lights in other storage areas, this could be the IMMEDIATE go to place.

One other suggestion - one good small hammer and a couple of screwdrivers.:). We can spend ten minutes looking for things like that for a one minute job. I also like the idea of "shoving" plastic bags in there - who needs one of those cutesy little storage containers? I have a messy small cabinet beside my range and that is what I do (the candles are behind the bags) lol