SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

About my garden spiral . . .

violetwest
8 years ago

So, I promised a while ago that I would make a detailed post about my garden "spiral" feature. Here's a pic of the finished design:

For background, keep in mind that I started with a blank slate for my small yard -- 30 x 50 feet of sand and dirt in the desert surrounded by a rock wall, so I spent several months out there imagining what could be. It can be difficult to make a nice garden in the harsh conditions of the Chihuahuan desert -- very cold, very hot, harsh winds, etc., so bold designs seemed like a good solution. I am a creative and imaginative person, so I wanted something different than the typical grass (not very ecologically sound out here) or completely covered rock yard, which some people think constitutes "xeriscape."

From the beginning I had a circular feature in mind. Why?

--I'd always said, "I'd rather live in a yurt in the desert than buy a cookie cutter tract home in the sprawl." So what did I do? Yep, I bought one of those homes. So, it's a symbolic yurt.

--I wish I had a pool. Something small. Like . . . a circle. So, it's also a symbolic pool.

--I like the idea of a "walking spiral." It's the spiritual heart of my property.

--Circular garden features are cool! There are so many things you can do with them. I have a whole Pinterest board collected. You can see it here. Garden circles and spiralstuff

Anyway, enough with the hippyness. It took me a couple of years to complete it (mostly worker problems), but here are some more pics of the progress. I started out just making designs in the dirt, thinking about placement, size, and design.

Next, I got someone to build a rock retaining/planter wall to break up the space, add dimension and height. It had to fit around the future circle, so I had them install steel edging to actually make the circle.

At this point, I struggled a lot with how to actually make the design. I stupidly thought I could do it myself. Ha! I finally got somebody to help me, and it all came together. Since the soil is so sandy in the first place, I didn't put a layer of sand down, but we did put landscape fabric and gravel as a base. I chose trapezoidal landscape blocks from the big box store.

Comments (6)