SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsvgs_gw

Creating spiral herb garden w/ lasagna method

bsvgs
14 years ago

Hi --

New to this forum, & hoping you'll kindly help me out with a new project.

All winter I've been planning to create a spiral herb/ meditation garden on this new property to which I relocated in WV. Well, it's now begun, but I could sure use lots of advice about the next steps.

At the moment, I have a 24'-diameter circle lined temporarily w/ slate tiles. The bottom inside layer is heavy newspaper & cardboard mulch as a weed barrier. And then the layers so far over that: peat, a little compost here & there, straw, shredded paper, & then grass clippings.

Now that everything is marked out & nothing is blowing around, I'm a bit stuck. (1) Should I cover this w/ plastic for several weeks to quicken decomposition, or should I leave it uncovered? (2) Maybe the more basic question is, Should I plan the planting for next year instead of this year?

In asking this, let me add that I generate very little compost, being a 1-person household. Also, there's no reasonably priced topsoil to buy in my area, & I'm rather cash poor. (2) So what else, if anything, should I add as layers?

I'll have lots of questions about which herbs & where, but let that hold for the moment....

Then there's the spiral itself. Here's what I envision: a pathway of stepping stones laid out in flat something (river rocks, stone floor tiles, etc), that begins close to my back kitchen door & ends in the circle's center, with perhaps a focal shrub there. The herbs will somehow fill in between the pathway.

This pathway is meant to be a calming, reflective walk. Meditative, if you like. As mentioned above, the general circle is 24' across. I'd like my spiral to be a fairly loose one & free-flowing. Organic looking, if possible, since Nature is founded on spirals. Despite all its planning out, I shy away from the formal-garden look, preferring more wild & wooly end results.

Oof ... Have to go to work right now! Just a few other questions dashed off here.

The stepping stones need to be laid down, not dug in. (I'm 54, have a bad back, & much of these plans are work-arounds for my physical limitations.) (3) Will stone or slate floor tiles suffice for at least a few years?

Lastly for the moment: (4) please help me with making the spiral. All the internet instructions I've found seem too complex. My circle was drawn by a tent peg in the ground, w/ a cord attached to it & to my ankle. Is there a similar way of creating the spiral?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have. I'll check back later.

Nica

Comments (8)