SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gchmom

at long last...

lmgch
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

it's been a long road and truthfully it's still not 100% complete. but it's in close enough shape to share at this point.

i will post before photos next and after photos following.

background: 1901 Center Hall Colonial in NNJ. when we bought the house at the end of 2010 we knew we needed to change the configuration of the back of the house. it was clearly constructed as servants space. it was dark (one small window). three out of the four walls were nearly taken over by random doorways. I had more counterspace in my brooklyn apartment kitchen then I did here. we waited and saved.

One of the doorways connected to a butler's staircase that we never used. we decided to get rid of that stairway and level the floor up on the second floor landing to create a laundry room on the second floor. this eliminated the "lovely" placement of our washer and dryer in a small, narrow hallway between our kitchen and family room (truly, it was CHARMING)

another doorway (right next to the butler's staircase up) was down in the basement also known as the pit of hell. huge, unfinished space heaped with our crap and spiders.

a third door (next to the basement door) opened into an absolutely decrepit mudroom.

opposite the charming laundry machines was a four doorway to a tiny, uninsulated powder room (yay!)

Our main goals were to open the space, gain natural light, gain counter space, get rid of the amazing number of doorways, move the laundry out of the first floor, reconfigure so that we could access the basement without blocking window light, gain pantry/food storage space, recreate an actually pleasant mudroom and powder room, incorporate a large screen (TV) for the purposes of loading my recipes so I could pull and cook easily, and maintain an informal kitchen dining space that was not right in the kitchen proper and that was not a banquette.

We worked with an architect familiar with our town's historic preservation guidelines. We finalized a plan to bump out 12' and create an open staircase into the basement. Since we couldn't have an open staircase into the pit of hell, this caused us to also totally refinish our basement. another story for another day and that's still not done.

ok, so next up will be before.

Comments (38)

• lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

can't put more in this comment. will post more next

• Related Discussions

At long last...Royal Hawaiian Purple bloom!

Q

Comments (9)
    Another great bloom, with many peduncles forming on the vines. I'm just afraid that the weather will become too cold for additional blooms.
    ...See More

High quality, long lasting USA made sofas for a family room?

Q

Comments (26)
    I don't have any experience with the brands you mentioned, but we are thrilled with the quality and durability of our Stickley sofas. We have the Prairie Settle sofa and love seat in leather (with exposed wood frame), but they have many fabric options as well. We have cats, and it's great not to have to worry about them clawing the fabric like they did with our previous sofas. All of our Stickley pieces have stood up amazingly to kids, pets, and daily heavy use. They are made in America and while they're not cheap, I'm confident they will outlive us so we will never have to replace them. We have had them for about 13 years and they look as good as new. My husband wipes them down with leather conditioner about every other month and there is a slight patina on the leather where we sit on them, but it doesn't detract from the look at all. The wood is so hard it doesn't get dented and scratched from things banging into it.
    ...See More

Healthy, long-lasting Acropolis

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes, rifis, we are fortunate to have mild enough weather here for pretty much year-round blooming. Our “winter” is really summer, when they go into a leafed-out kind of dormancy due to the heat. This one is brand new to me, as of December, so I’m not sure how it will do the rest of the year. :-)
    ...See More

At long last - Jared Takes a Wife

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks, everyone. I'll try to get a better picture later today when the sun cooperates. Rita, what I meant by "working it in" was this. The gather was pretty small, maybe 1/8" deep, so I ripped out the offending quilting, luckily only one four inch line, and steam pressed the area. Then I requilted it from the back side, making sure I didn't catch the same fabric again. After washing, It wasn't noticeable at all. Phew! After looking at the label after washing the quilt, I think I'd better make another. Rats! I thought I was finished with this one. Oh, and I forgot. When I took out the backing that I had bought last fall, I found out that I had bought about a quarter yard too little. Luckily, I had a piece of the border left, a piece just big enough. So the back has a big stripe across the middle. A design choice, right?
    ...See More
  • lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Details:
    - counters are sea pearl quartzite
    - faucets are waterstone
    - appliances are Wolf/SubZero
    - backsplash is from porcelanosa
    - perimeter cabinets are BM simply white
    - island and desk area are BM silver pine with a black glaze
    - mudroom is BM duxbury gray with a black glaze
    - wall color is BM boothbay gray
    - under cab beverage fridge is uline
    - pantry innards were done by closetworks
    - pendant lights are John Lewis
    - over table fixture is hubbardton forge
    - bottom level of knobs and all pulls are top knobs trevi collection
    - top level of knobs are RH traditional violet

- main sink is kohler whitehaven 36"
    - island prep and bar sinks are blanco in metallic gray

- dishwashers: standard size is miele plus F&P drawer in the island

- hardwood flooring is 5" rifted quartersawn white oak with minwax gunstock stain. this is the color we have in the rest of the house. the remainder of the home has the original thin boards. we couldn't recreate that thinness without paying a lot for custom cutting. so we opted to go with the larger plank in the same color - it looks awesome and i'm very pleased

- mudroom flooring is Armstrong Alterna vinyl tile in I believe light mesa gray - I love this stuff. looks awesome and a breeze to clean up

i think/hope that covers it ;)

• LE
    8 years ago

Wow, that looks so well thought-out and pretty, too!

Sure you don't miss those exposed pipes on the wall? (!)

lmgch thanked LE
  • ediblekitchen
    8 years ago

Double Wow! It is stunning. I can't decide which part of it I like the most. But I definitely want to give a shout out to your pantry and those gorgeous doors. I also love the cabinetry and how it beautifully all ties together.

lmgch thanked ediblekitchen
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! You coordinated a lot of different colors and finishes and made it just lovely, that's amazing. Thank you for sharing the pictures and information!

lmgch thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • M Frederick
    8 years ago

Looks amazing. Thanks for sharing the details. I have a question on your stack of ovens. We are looking at doing something similar with a subzero oven / steam oven and then a shelf for a microwave above. How tall are the three ovens together? I'm 5'4 so trying to decide if I will still get the benefit of a wall unit and handle the microwave being on the top of the stack.

lmgch thanked M Frederick
  • lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks, guys. yes, CRL, it was/is a lot of different "stuff" and i still second guess at times whether it all works. but overall, i am so happy with the space, the light and each of the individual components. anyway, thank you again for the kind comments. ;)

• lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i'm actually not home right now, foolnt8. but i can measure for you tomorrow. it's fine for me but i'm 5'9". however, our au pair is i think 5'6" and she navigates the micro just fine. but i'll measure tomorrow

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Stunning!

lmgch thanked cpartist
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

Holy Cr!!. That is beautiful. I don't know where to start. I have never enlarged every single photo on a reveal until now - that should tell you something.

The island colour and design, the backsplash and the counter just flow into one another and I love the way that you took the colour of the island and carried it into the cabinetry in the dining area. Just genius. It makes it one cohesive space. The function of the space must be an absolute joy to work in and the light from the windows is so nice.

The barn doors are so cool and then the wood floors just warms it all up. I want to see it in real life.

lmgch thanked blfenton
  • heritagehd07
    8 years ago

Wow! This is a stunning update. Love the sea pearl quartzite - so pretty. Awesome job of coordinating different finishes into a cohesive, elegant look. The pantry is brilliant!

lmgch thanked heritagehd07
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

Very thoughtful and cohesive. And gorgeous! Great job with a difficult space.

lmgch thanked funkycamper
  • rebunky
    8 years ago

Imgch, you know I have been eagerly waiting for this reveal!!! It is beyond beautiful....etc...etc... I love the island color so much.

I know you went thru a nightmare of problems. The hood, the backsplash, the pendant lights, and much more. I just want to reassure you, now that everything is in place, I see nothing but perfection. You did good girl!

lmgch thanked rebunky
  • oldbat2be
    8 years ago

lmgch - I think you made my morning:) Have coffee, poppy seed bagel, and now your fabulous kitchen to study. *<happy sigh>*

Your mudroom cabinetry is incredible - love the color and the design. Love your countertops! The strong contrasts between light and dark, tied in with your warm floor, are so visually satisfying. Smiling over the giant TV for the chef and prep team :) All that saving and waiting (and planning) has paid off - terrific job transforming a very difficult space.

lmgch thanked oldbat2be
  • lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks so much, guys. your kind words made my morning! i do particularly enjoy sunday mornings now because we extended our sonos system into the space so we can now eat sunday bagels and listen to the acoustic sunrise sunday morning show ;)

there are definitely things i wish were different and i knew that going into final install, but i had to make choices. like the space between the island seating and the little cabinet. i could have nixed that cabinet, but i love having it - we each have our own charging cubbie, which is very helpful for the kids knowing where to put their devices. no more "where's my xxxx!!!"

and i have cookbooks at the bottom. we pretty much never use the island seating anyway. only when we have people over and they perch there. plus, there's another entrance to the kitchen from the family room, so when people are sitting at the island, i've noticed others just naturally re-route and pass by through the other doorway.

things i particularly love and give credit to GW for:
    - tapmasters - on the main and prep sinks
    - that roll up drain board thing - it rocks!!
    - the quartzite and testing the heck out of it before installing
    - the brilliant alcohol/water/lavender solution we use to clean
    - lighting - i definitely feel like i have sufficient light now because i pushed for it
    - the trevi knobs and pulls - i saw them here on a reveal and fell in love and found them in person to confirm the love
    - changing my hood design...pushing that to happen
    - going for the flush fridge install - wiser folks then me suggested that would be best
    - pushing to have the window above the sink moved so that it centered, despite the "extra work" required

- forgot the mention that the vinyl flooring that i put in the mudroom and laundry room are also a find from here ;)

i'm sure there's so much more, but it will come to me gradually

i will also continue to update the details info as i remember to include. i'll go add floor info now

• lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

the oven stack:
    very top is 71" off the floor
    top of the keypad options for the micro is 66" up
    bottom of the micro is 56.5" up

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Impressive! I especially like the countertops and that prep sink and its backsplash!

Roll up drain board??? Neat idea, bookmarking that!

lmgch thanked artemis_ma
  • malabacat
    8 years ago

Beautiful! I love it all. Your backsplash is gorgeous, the barn doors in front of your pantry are lovely, your counters, wow!

lmgch thanked malabacat
  • Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    8 years ago

It's wonderful.

I used to call my basement growing up the spider hole.

lmgch thanked Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
  • stephanj
    8 years ago

beautiful! Nicely done.

lmgch thanked stephanj
  • zwizzle1
    8 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I am curious about which Sonos speaker you have in the kitchen and where did you place it? I have a Play 1 speaker in my kitchen now on top of a hutch where it can't be seen but I'd love to have created a special place for it in my kitchen re-do.

• wags4fun
    8 years ago

So beautiful! Love the Sea Pearl, the backsplash, the barn doors, the entire color scheme. All works together so nicely....lovely, charming, & classy. Great job!

• Patti
    8 years ago

So many things to admire. The island, the pendants, the barn doors, the pantry itself, the mudroom cabinetry and colors. Sublime! Great choices.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the kind feedback! zwizzle, we have in-ceiling speakers - not really sure of the model. the guy that did our TV stuff put them in. i can ask, if you like?

• romy718
    8 years ago

Imgch - what a treat to see your reveal! Yours is one that many of us followed. I remember when you posted color choices for your island & desk area. The silver pine/black glaze is beautiful. I love all your choices. That gorgeous Sea Pearl pulls everything together. The backsplash - LOVE it! Also, the mudroom cabinetry. I knew your kitchen would be a favorite. Congrats!

lmgch thanked romy718
  • mgmum
    8 years ago

Holy moly! I can't even wrap my head around this! LOL What a change! I bet you're happiest about the laundry being moved upstairs; at least I would be. And I can totally see kids doing homework at that table and getting snacks from the area there rather than annoying you while you're getting dinner ready. Perfect! It's absolutely lovely. :)

lmgch thanked mgmum
  • malba2366
    8 years ago

@imgch. Beautiful kitchen! I am located not far you and am wondering who you used to make your cabinets (I am assuming they are full custom as you used BM paint colors).

lmgch thanked malba2366
  • lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

again, thank you guys. it really is a pleasure to be in here. @mgmum - you're right - i LOVE my laundry room. it's small and chock full of function. i said that to my DH...how awesome it is and he was floored that after all the time, money and angst...i am in love with a small little laundry room. but it's true! not one inch in that room is wasted space, it functions beautifully and i love it!

@malba, alas I cannot recommend my cabinet company. if you search old threads of mine, you will read of the torture they put us through. they turned out lovely...in the end (yes, they are a custom shop). but if i knew what we would go through to get here, i would have made a different decision in a heartbeat.

i hate to potentially ruin business for people - this is a family-run business and i don't think they are *bad* people. but i do think they are very, very bad business people. have horrific customer service skills. and worse, they don't admit when they've done wrong by a customer - a simple, "i'm very sorry for all we've put you through. mea culpa, we treated you poorly" would have gone a long way.

• leemiller
    8 years ago

Really lovely. That backsplash is something else. And we have the same Waterstone faucet, which I also fell in love with after reading about it here.

lmgch thanked leemiller
  • mo142
    8 years ago

This is wonderful! I love everything about it.

lmgch thanked mo142
  • chispa
    8 years ago

You nailed it ... the kitchen matches the dog perfectly! ;-)

Sounds like you had plenty of headaches along the way, but it came out great and I hope your family enjoys it for many years.

lmgch thanked chispa
  • a2gemini
    8 years ago

Zowie! That is one amazing kitchen!

I love everything about it!

It is really stunning!

Does the MW side open? My stack is 68.5 inches but the speed oven is a standard open door. I am 5'7" and OK for me but would not want it any higher

lmgch thanked a2gemini
  • Jeannine Fay
    8 years ago

I must have missed this one. Looks super functional. All that storage in your dining room is nothing short of awesome. It's a real beauty.

lmgch thanked Jeannine Fay
  • lmgch
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much. a2, yes it side opens. I desperately wanted to get the speed oven instead of the MW and tried to convince myself. I went to the appliance showroom with tape measure in hand and was able to piece together a mockup so I could try opening the downward facing door of the speed oven at the height I would have putting it based on the other two ovens underneath. I could have done it, but it would have been super risky and my DH convinced me to skip it for safety reasons.

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

You made a good choice. My KD said 68 was max and she was right. Height challenged folks would have difficulty even in my kitchen.

Enjoy!