SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dum7117

Advice from hardwood professionals

dum7117
8 years ago

I am wondering about an oil finish with a slight stain on black walnut floors. I have recently had the opportunity to put my bare feet on an oil finish walnut and love how it feels in comparison to a poly.

I have researched and think I understand the differences between the two and the pros and cons of each with respect to finish, wear, maintenance, refreshing etc.

From my understanding the poly finish provides a level of durability (somewhat) as well as a UV protectant. Theoretically the UV protectant is designed to slow the process of the wood changing colour. (Yes, I understand that all wood products will change over time. Some lighter, some darker). However, I have also come to understand that the urethane actually contributes to the yellow/amber colour change. Is this accurate?

With the assumption that the polyurethane contributes to the tone of colour change, where does that leave me with an oil finish? Obviously there is no UV protection with an oil finish so I would anticipate the colour to change faster, however since there is no poly involved can I anticipate the end result to be less gold? Thanks so much for your thoughts.

We had originally chosen Lauzon Black Walnut Natural in a premium grade, but I would really like something in a matte finish. I am loving Appalachian black walnut in Tudor stain with an oil finish.

We live in Canada and have a particularly harsh and dry climate (the kind that makes your nose bleed in the winter!). No kids, no pets. I have tried to convince my husband that an engineered is a better way to go as it not only provides us with more options but is better for our climate. He will have none of it. He is set on a solid 3"ish planks.

(We currently have red oak circa 1982 throughout).

Comments (13)