SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becci6

Succulents turning black?!

becci6
8 years ago

Hello People at Houzz! I'm new here and also quite a new collector of succulents/cacti. I live in Tenerife which is warm and sunny all year round but in summer can reach around 35c at times. I invested in some cacti and succulents for our patio recently and have become mildly obsessed with collecting/growing/propagating different succulents. Most of my endeavours have been successful up until now..

Picture number 2 is one of the first succulents I bought. I don't even know the name! I bought it in a supermarket and it was scraggly and stretched-out and some of the leaves were broken so I decided to give propagation a go. Have successfully grown little plantlets from the leaves and I stuck the top into some soil and it grew roots and made a new plant which thrived nicely until I noticed the leaves were turning black! (See picture! I'd also like to know the name of this plant!)

In the same pot (terracotta, if that makes a difference), there is another succulent (again I'd like to know the name because I've no idea and I can't seem to find any pictures that look like it on the internet..) and this one also seems to have something badly wrong. Little black specks are appearing on the leaves and the bottom leaves are yellowing and falling off. (Picture 1).

I'm an avid internet user and have just about read every article/webpage there is on how to keep succulents so I know about the whole watering and sunlight situation. Water well when the soil is completely dry and succulents like sunlight but not direct for the whole day.

I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong with these guys. Maybe because it's summer time here now and it's too hot for them. (could they be burnt?) They are in my patio half under a roof so they are protected from the sun in the middle of the day but they get direct sunlight in the morning and evening so I didn't think that would be an issue either but could be! Maybe they need more sun! The soil is also a 'succulent mix' which I bought from a garden centre here which appears to have little stones/sand/grit mixed in which I assume is perfect for them..

It's funny because in the same pot is a little crassula rupestris and it's doing great and even sprouting new leaves/stems from the bottom and is a great colour (much better than when I bought it). I also have numerous little cacti sitting around which are all growing loads.

Please help soon or I fear I'll loose these little guys! Thank you, thank you!

Comments (4)