SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bille_gw

One of my old standby's blooming again

Bill
8 years ago

Many years ago when I was working for an orchid nursery, the company's breeder was throwing this completely emaciated little orchid plant in the trash. I asked him if he minded if I took it home and he said no. The company had purchased a number of these little plants for a breeding line he was working on, and this one did not have the lip color he was looking for. It had gotten pushed to the back of the bench and knocked out of the pot and had been there for some time. I was not sure I could revive it, but wanted to try.

It took about 2 years to get it back to blooming condition, and it has been a regular bloomer since. It is a small growing plant that sort of wanders about in the pot, but regularly produces 2 to 4 of these little bright yellow blooms with a cute little red spot in the lip.

I believe this is an excellent example of what one can accomplish in orchid breeding with a minimum number of plants if they are well chosen. Although my little plant is a "reject", all the photos I have seen of others are really striking with bright red lips against this bright yellow color, and good flower shape.

This little fellow only has three crosses with 6 plants in its background.

Just thought you might be interested.

Bill

SLC Jungle Beau. I'm not up on all the new "politically correct" names for some orchid plants, so hope my naming is still correct.......☺

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County