SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idmd

Is my AC short cycling?

idmd
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

A little background. I moved out of a 2600sqft house with mostly sun-exposed southwest facing windows that had a new 4.0 ton Trane XL16i/Hyperion XL AC with a Honeywell RTH6580WF thermostat. The 4.0 ton system was recommended after doing a heat load workup - it had lots of almost floor to ceiling windows. System was great - silent, consistent temps and ice cold even on the hottest days. On hot days it ran pretty much continuously and on warm days kicked on maybe 2-3x per hour with excellent humidity control.

I moved into a into a new house that has 3500sqft of conditioned space with a central AC unit installed in 2003. This is a colonial with some sun light in morning and early afternoon but it's shaded after 3PM. It too has a 4.0 ton system. Had my AC guy come out to clean and check everything and he said it was in good shape and the temperature differentials looked good. I took the Honeywell t-stat with me and had him hook it up.

Fast forward a few months and we've had weird weather in central MA. Very mild temps with highs in the high 70's and low 80's and a couple days to 85 but some very humid nights so we've had the AC on a lot. On a mid 80's day the AC is cycling on for 15-20 mins and then off for 10 mins and then back on for 15-20 mins. At night when the outside temps are closer to the inside temp but we have the AC on for humidity control it's on for 8-10 mins and off 10 mins.

Air temps are stable and humidity control even on the shorter cycles is excellent. My t-stat does not have a cycles per hour for setting for the AC and it is preprogrammed to tolerate on a 1 F temp difference before turning on and this too doesn't seem adjustable. Is this considered short cycling? I believe part of my issue is the AC unit in the new house is much noisier and obviously not a variable speed unit like the Trane so it's a loud and abrupt on/off compared to the silent and gentle ramp up and down of the Trane. I also believe it maybe the t-stat since it will kick on with even a 1 F increase in room temp. Would getting a new t-stat that allows control of CPH and how many degrees the temperature must increase to turn on helpful?

Comments (9)